Wheel adapter advice

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My friend gave me his JLR wheels and I bought adapters with 1.25” spacer from eBay and mounted them today. The TJ studs are not long enough for the adapter to hub lug nuts to screw all the way on. See photos. The second photo with the lug but is torqued to 80 ft-lbs. Is this normal or is this dangerous?

032A310D-FB0F-4A19-9883-BE4CEF5E787E.jpeg

B591E31A-9D32-4737-AF64-75F17D7BEE91.jpeg

That's not normal, and IMHO that is dangerous.

That's not how much wheel adapters were when I ran JK wheels.

You either need different adapters or longer studs.

Are you sure you ordered the proper adapters? Does definitely look dangerous to me. I have adapters on mine and they look nothing like that.

Longer wheel studs looks doable but a pain the ass.
I am returning them and will buy a different brand. I’ll buy the Amazon ones @Chris linked to in another thread like I should have in the first place.

Reactions: Chris
That's not normal, and IMHO that is dangerous.

That's not how much wheel adapters were when I ran JK wheels.

You either need different adapters or longer studs.

While I agree with you guys, here is one of the images from the Amazon product you link to. Obviously they think it’s normal.

FC20371C-639D-4014-B53E-E7F4B2F2000B.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: toximus and Chris
In many cases, you can get away with using a JK pattern spacer on a JL wheel. It has more risk, however. Personally I would go for one that has the JL size studs and lug nuts to reduce the risk of damage and failure.

If you do use JK studs on a JL wheel make sure you use lug nuts with a very large diameter cone.

The ones I always recommend (and used on my last TJ) are also hub centric, not to mention cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They are also CNC versus cast, which is what you want.

Tons of people use them without issue (y)

Doesn't matter which ones you go with, just trying to save you some money.

The ones I bought are hub-centric and cnc machined out of forged billet. I will either return them or try to get the correct lug nuts but I won’t drive on the current setup.

The ones I bought are hub-centric and cnc machined out of forged billet. I will either return them or try to get the correct lug nuts but I won’t drive on the current setup.

I'm not the authority on whether that's safe or not, but looking at those lugs and how about only half of the nut is threaded on, that seems unsafe to me. Maybe you could drive it and nothing would happen, but I personally don't think I'd chance it.

Reactions: AussieNick
What it looks like makes no difference. The number of turns on the stud you get is all that matters. There are several posts on this site by our resident brake expert on the number of turns required to be safe, you might search for that.

Reactions: AussieNick
As a general rule of thumb, the amount of threads engaged should be at a minimum the diameter of the fasteners. I.e, a 1/2-13 fastener should have at least 1/2” of thread engagement.

Am I off base here, or is the issue with his TJ studs being too short not the adapter studs? Thus, making a different spacer / adapter irrelevant.