Wheeler’s project that he didn’t want…

The radio quit working…again. I’m about ready to toss the stupid thing.

Here’s a picture of the LED footwell lights for something a bit more positive.
9E7E5E41-16B6-41CC-AA5E-05B8C0BC7887.jpeg

The radio issue has been resolved. Who knew that the amount of time one holds in the power button determines whether it turns on or not? If held in for more than 1/2 second the radio will not turn on. At least that little issue has been resolved...for now. I'm having issues with the air blowing out of the appropriate vents. I'll have to start looking at the vacuum lines again.

No luck tracing down a vacuum leak. I'm gonna have to break down and get one of the testers.

I had been looking for a lockable storage compartment for the back without really finding much that interested me. I decided to try my hand at building one. I have a couple of these plastic storage trays that are always getting in the way so I decided to work up something that would allow me to use them as a type of drawer. More to follow.

fullsizeoutput_9bd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9be.jpeg

The storage box Mark1 is mostly complete. I secured it to the tub using the threaded hole for the seat belts. I also popped a couple of jokes in the sides to secure it to the nutserts for the rear seat brackets.

68C832BF-3D80-48B6-94B4-56624C5EEC81.jpeg

B4EE9A5F-3A39-462A-A71F-FCEA655DB2D0.jpeg

I started having problems getting the key to turn in the switch. I could pull the key out, flip it over and it would work. I could then pull it out, put it right back in and it wouldn’t turn. It was a minor annoyance until yesterday, when the Jeep wouldn’t start. I pulled the the ignition switch and actuator and replaced them. I was pretty sure the actuator had gone bad but when I pulled the old one I didn’t see any broken parts. Even so, it seems to working fine with the replaced parts. Perhaps the issue was with the actual ignition switch?

I was still having problems with the cheapo radio not working consistently. I had hoped that the issue was in the problem with the ignition switch. When I had the switches replaced I took the opportunity to check power at the radio. Power was good. Radio wouldn’t work, I guess I’ll add that to the list of things to buy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent quality, aftermarket radio that has Bluetooth and a CD player? I’m not an audiophile, I just want something that’s kind of loud without being distorted.
E974B18D-2B01-4900-A1B4-5B6C19F815A1.jpeg
B4B8844B-09B2-4603-B4AE-36C3D68CCCCE.jpeg
F0481931-E4E8-422A-A424-D0B1C6F71DB3.jpeg
E155EE9E-FDBB-4688-856B-C283A697B54E.jpeg

So I wound up getting a new key cut because the old one was worn at the tip and would only work sometimes
I thought about the key being part of the issue. I had two keys cut right after I bought it and had the same issue with all three keys. I also don’t have an original key.

I think the actuator was probably ok but the ignition switch was looking pretty sketchy. The next couple of weeks will tell if I got it right or swapped out parts for no good reason. :)

So I had the opportunity to drive in one of the signature Georgia downpours today. Performance was about like I expected, light vehicle with wide tires and plenty of puddles made for more concerns about hydroplaning than I typically have with the other vehicles.

When I got home I wanted to check for leaks as I had installed a new soft top.

There’s one spot on the half door window slider that will need some creative attention. It seems all the hot spots for leaks around the top and doors were ok.

Unfortunately, the shitty floor pan repairs didn’t fare quite so well. I had quite a bit of water pool up in the passenger footwell and beside and behind the driver’s seat. The little nook between the driver’s seat and the tub was where I was keeping my first aid kit. I’ll have to dry that out.

I’m planning to order the sound and temp insulation as well as a BedRug kit for the front. Looks like I’ll add some floor pan repair kits as well and do that prior to the insulation and carpet install.
79CD41AC-F952-4304-93B6-9841FE2880B6.jpeg
77DC9BCA-9937-4261-B376-6EF2A33E90F8.jpeg
8A3030A0-D36D-4144-87F1-642FF421013B.jpeg

Dropped the gas tank. Looks like the PO lied to me about the breather line missing a hose clamp being the reason gas was leaking. :(. Go figure.

So it appears the leak is right there where the JB Weld gob of goo is. I’ve searched the forums and have yet to see anyone recommend that as a repair. :)

I’m looking at a replacement tank, replacement straps, and of course new bolts, washers, and nuts for the skid plate. The fuel return line was also rotting at the connection point. The metal broke off right at the point where the rubber hose stopped.
F3303C3B-08B9-4381-839A-28025C7CB9D3.jpeg
9404D2D6-A623-4226-B89C-9FB12269233F.jpeg
B2E9E9CC-1CED-43A8-B628-C23D8AB7A4C4.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: taylormade73
Did some cleaning on the brake drums and rear frame. The amount of wet dirt and rust flakes found inside the lower section of the ear frame was disheartening. At least the brake drums cleaned up fairly well. That should keep for awhile until I can budget for new drums, shows, and parking brakes.

277FE0EE-4B1D-4388-A82C-8BD255F6B7C9.jpeg
653B7398-C108-4215-B1F2-F712C55ABECD.jpeg

Installed new shocks on the rear. The install wasn’t too bad but, getting one of the bushings in was a royal pain. I might have said a couple of bad words during the process. I finally used a bit of car wash soap as lube and it popped right in.

While waiting on rear control arm bushings that are apparently unobtanium, I replaced the missing and old gas tank bolts. I had to jack up the body to get the old, corroded bolts out and install the new.

I used stainless hardware and since I couldn’t find the threaded bolt keepers locally, I scrounged around and used some stainless 1/4” fender washers I had, ran a 5/16”x18 tap through them, and ran them up the bolts.
06522B84-A67D-43CB-BFC6-7EBDFD581933.jpeg
2FD5AF93-7168-429B-9051-E8A5ADBA0B48.jpeg
E5F2C579-85C9-495F-BCDB-CEAC34948449.jpeg
1DCC0D8B-7E5C-49AA-8A0C-80AF01B1401A.jpeg
16FE1416-E2D9-48B6-8D28-8E2E4042FBCF.jpeg
D22ADCF7-DA30-432A-9AEF-8F8596D30615.jpeg

After two weeks out with a bout of the Beer Virus and another two weeks trying to recover my stamina, I finally got the fuel tank replaced. I made the mistake of trusting the word of the individual I bought the tank from only to find out the fuel pump and sending unit from the newish tank were both bad. I dropped the tank again and swapped in the fuel pump from my old tank. Everything seems to be working fine. Gas gauge works, Jeep starts and runs, tank didn't fall off. :)

After cleaning out the garage I installed the JVC head unit I received for Christmas. It's nice to have tunes and nice to have the dash back together.

Gas gauge quit working. Turns out the locking tab for the connector went MIA. Right now it’s tie wrapped together until I can get around to ordering some tabs on the next parts purchase

Had the opportunity to do some real driving today. I topped off and reset the trip meter to get a rough idea of MPG. I drone just a tad over 50 miles, evenly split between interstate and city and averaged 16.5 MPG. I was pleased with the interstate performance. I maintained 70 MPH most of the time and only dropped below 65 once because I wasn't paying attention on when to downshift. A goodly portion of that was in 5th gear. I did note a bit of vibration in the front when around 70 or slightly above it. I'll get to that when I start replacing bushings and bearings on the front. I'm going to run the 31x10.5x15s until it's time to swap and then drop down a size. I'm not quite sure if I want to keep the 31" height and drop to a 8.5" width or drop the sidewall height as well. I've got plenty of time to think that out.

It is noisy on the interstate which is to be expected with the soft top and no sound proofing. Hopefully that will improve once I redo the interior and maybe find a hard top.
1C6ED89F-4E23-4E54-853E-30A4463F2203.jpeg

I was wondering if it would be prudent to drop the spare and run with a plug kit and a compressor. That would drop a good 50 pounds off the back. Then I recalled that the last two flats I had driving around Atlanta were not repairable and required a new tire. Maybe I'll just try to lose 50 pounds myself. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: taylormade73