When do I replace the coils / springs?

ejay

TJ Addict
Aside from obvious sag, how does one tell if the springs area worn without removing them? I'm thinking about going OME if I can ever find a 3.5" spring kit.

Not having measured the length at install I can't compare to now. Other factors such as add-ons also would contribute to resting length, of course. Travel seems to be about the same as it always has been. They don't make a lot of noise. Been on my rig for about 11 years and 75k. I'm guessing that they still have some life and although I know they aren't super high quality, they have worked well in the past for me and I'd rather dump the money that I would spend on new springs into a Currie JJ control arm kit to replace my worn RE control arms.

Info: 3.5" RE springs. Procomp MX6 shocks will be replaced this year when I can find some OME 3.5" that are worthy. Paint is starting to fleck off the RE springs.

I have 145,000 miles on an 03 rubicon. Got the jeep a month ago. Took it to two shops for some basic inspections. Both said springs were ok and will do but shocks needed replacement asap. Not sure if that answers your question but thats my experience.

Edit: sorry didn’t see the part about your current set up. I was speaking specifically about OEM shocks and springs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejay
Due to onerous Australian lift height laws I don't believe OME makes springs taller than to provide a 2" lift height. At least they didn't several years ago when I looked. I wouldn't look to OME springs if it's for ride quality you're thinking about. Shocks are what provide good or bad rides. Springs that are made for the Wrangler won't have a noticeable effect on the ride quality.

Due to onerous Australian lift height laws I don't believe OME makes springs taller than to provide a 2" lift height. At least they didn't several years ago when I looked. I wouldn't look to OME springs if it's for ride quality you're thinking about. Shocks are what provide good or bad rides. Springs that are made for the Wrangler won't have a noticeable effect on the ride quality.
I mentioned that last year during a thread about OME and to my surprise someone sent me a link to a 3.5" or 4" lift kit from OME but I can't find it anymore. I have seen 4" lift kits for JK. Not sure if it's 2" suspension and 2" body, though.

I'm not too worried about ride quality. With the amount of steel on my rig (bumpers/tire carrier, Nth Degree skids and kits, and the potential for crap stacked on my rack) I was thinking a 4" HD would do the deed to get me to 3.5" lift to keep things the way they are now. OME used to have a good rep for shocks but as you know, they discontinued those models. Not sure about ride quality of the newer models of OME shocks but I hope to keep the same quality as had been reported in the past. And, you know, they're yellow so matchy matchy.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I loved my OME Nitrocharger shocks, they had a truly great ride and awesome offroad control. But OME discontinued those and replaced them with the Nitrocharger Sport which many report is substantially stiffer riding.

Reactions: TWiG01 and ejay
I've nothing bad to say about OME quality...

That said the lift heights of them vary significantly.
Vehicle to vehicle..meaning equipped identically...
Same springs...one sits just a tad differently.
Freak occurrence? Most times you'd say that. I've seen it too many times it's more normal than not.

I'm guessing it's something to do with whomever they have building their springs.

On your go bad note...
Springs can get tired.

When you want to change the amount of lift.

I'm interested in this too. Wondering if springs 'go bad' or 'get tired' and what that really means, if anything, other than starting to sag.
Springs simply support the rig (sprung weight portion), so if they’re doing that at the ride height you desire, you should be good.

If they have rust on them and you don’t like that, just prep and paint them with a flexible paint. Here are some I recently did. They weren’t too bad.

0BC250DE-84FB-4D40-A45C-A5EC77B29669.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ and ejay
The rust spots don't bother me at all. As far as ride height, I never really measured what I was when new to be honest. Hard to tell if I'm what I was at when the install was new. I know I'm not as young as I used to be. My Jeep feels the same I imagine. :ROFLMAO:

Looks like I can save the dough to put into Currie control arms.

Anybody have any real world experience with OME Nitrochargers?