when do you need a snorkel?

Many years of water wheeling. The water down here is stationary so no worries with risk of any raging rivers like you guys have up north :)

In all my year wheeling in water (2006 through roughly 2010) I have yet to put a snorkel in my TJ.for starters make sure your Axles, Transmission and Transfer Case breather lines are good and make sure they are high as possible. In my case my 6speed manual trans NSG370 had no hose just a cap so needless to say it took plenty of baths until I learned about the breather cap :). The TJ factory air intake is very good based on the design. the intake hose gets the air from the top half of the airbox there are small holes at the bottom for drainage.

I have never had any issues with electrical connectors at all I did have to replace my starter twice and my AC compressor clutch also went. Never go fast into an area without knowing how deep it is. I have seen people sink their Jeeps because they are not careful. I basically crawl slowly in an unknown area until I know the depth then I can play fast also never wheel alone.

The deepest I have ever taken it has been just below the bottom of the headlight bezel

My old CJ5

View attachment 30984
That last photo could easily be a photo of the month, well done!

I wasn't thrilled about having to drill a hole thru my fender anyway. the video from jeepnwilly was almost identical to what I saw. though I am a newer tj owner I have had many different automotive projects and been screwed numerous times listening to manufacturers hype. so a place where knowledge is shared is appreciated.

Trying to remember, but I thought the vent on my nv3550 was just mounted to the top of the transmission. I found a picture...

View attachment 30985
It is located there but there's a long rubber vent hose attached to it in our Jeeps to keep water out where the NV3550 and NSG370 transmissions are concerned. The top of its vent hose is positioned at the top of the firewall's center. There is no vent hose attached to the older AX-15 or AX-5 transmissions.

Here is a pic of the NSG370 vent cap. I ran into it when I was replacing my clutch.

P2170117_a.jpg

It is located there but there's a long rubber vent hose attached to it in our Jeeps to keep water out where the NV3550 and NSG370 transmissions are concerned. The top of its vent hose is positioned at the top of the firewall's center. There is no vent hose attached to the older AX-15 or AX-5 transmissions.
No tube on mine...just a little cap. That picture is from when I had to pull my transmission to replace the input shaft.

@59 wagon man another advice I can give you since you have a manual trans is to avoid at all cost pressing the clutch when you are in dirty swampy water as we have down here in South Florida. The reason is that it will suck in to the bell housing all kinds of debris that may be floating in the water.

Below are pics of my clutch pressure plate after I had to be towed out and towed home because my clutch stopped grabbing.

P2170109.jpg
P2170111.jpg
P2170112.jpg

By the way I have seen a TJ float across a deep water hole. My buddy had a snorkel and went into the hole with some momentum The front half of the hood was under water. It floated about 10 feet forward unit the front tires grab hold of the ground below. LOL now saying that I do not recommend trying it.