When eBay and the USPS conspire against you and the seller is clueless.

I've heard stories of packages going the rounds, ten states or more and then finally coming home. I think the packages get put in a larger container that is now scanned so they never check each individual item. When the container or truck finally gets where it's going they'll find your package and send it on its way but until the big container is emptied they'll never scan or see the actual package again. I'm pretty sure they don't have any built in checks and balances that make sure each scan is in fact closer to the destination, otherwise weather re-routing would flood the system with false alarms. I don't think it's all that common but with millions of packages you get some crazy stuff going on now and then. On the Coleman Lantern forums a guy posted the tracking for one that got lost, it was a pretty good cross country road trip. Both ways, covered more states than I've been to.

hmmm. Don't know if this is normal these days, but this package supposedly shipped from California according to the eBay listing, but USPS took delivery in Idaho, and now it's meandering around greater Salt Lake City.

1642014793383.png

Wonder when I'll get it...

usps at it again.

This package made it halfway across the country in 30 hours and now has been within my metropolitan statistical area since Thursday. I didn't get to worked up about it over the weekend since it wasn't expected to deliver until today, but the newest update is that it's "in transit to the next facility". If it's taken all day Friday and all day today to make it 20 miles to my local post office...what the F.

I had a similar issue 2 wks ago. Turned out the label was damaged during shipping and ups had to go back to the shipper for a good addrress.
When the automated processes fail and they have go back to manual, things really slow down.

I had a similar issue 2 wks ago. Turned out the label was damaged during shipping and ups had to go back to the shipper for a good addrress.
When the automated processes fail and they have go back to manual, things really slow down.
We tape over the bar code and ship to address for two reasons, first is to piss them off because they don't like it and second is we have received a few back that they spilled or sprayed with something that erased the address right down to the white label.

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper
We tape over the bar code and ship to address for two reasons, first is to piss them off because they don't like it and second is we have received a few back that they spilled or sprayed with something that erased the address right down to the white label.
That's the same thing I do too!

usps at it again.

This package made it halfway across the country in 30 hours and now has been within my metropolitan statistical area since Thursday. I didn't get to worked up about it over the weekend since it wasn't expected to deliver until today, but the newest update is that it's "in transit to the next facility". If it's taken all day Friday and all day today to make it 20 miles to my local post office...what the F.

and here we go.

1646169086856.png

WHAT NEXT FACILITY? IT'S BEEN 8.3 MILES DOWN THE STREET FOR 5 DAYS.

1646169370521.png

Did you think about driving down there and picking it up?

Alcohol (the stuff everyone uses to kill corona) destroys the ink on those labels.
How can we convince Amazon to put tape over their address labels?

Alcohol (the stuff everyone uses to kill corona) destroys the ink on those labels.

Very much. If I had any indication it was still there or that I could go pick it up, I would. I passed there twice on Saturday. But if their tracking tells me it's in transit, then I'm sure they don't believe it's there and the drone at the counter is certain to tell me exactly that.

Reactions: Chris

Some days you can outsmart the packaging dimwits, other days you can't. We've had to order a few rotors from time to time from Rock Auto when Centric fucks up their sequestering and sends our parts to the other dealers. We learned early on that you have to make multiple orders of the quantity you are comfy with them putting in one shit ass single wall box they use. Otherwise, you wind up with this long skinny box that is destroyed because they put 7 rotors in it. The poor Fedex driver sorta herds and scoots the exploded wadded up mess out the door onto a cart and dumps the pile inside the gate.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
why is it that USPS doesn't like tape over the labels anyway? I figured maybe it gives their scanners trouble, but seems like UPS specifically directs you TO put tape over it.

oh, I like this. I guess they must set the "Arriving Late" entry to have a date stamp of whatever today's date is so it looks like they're on top of it instead of just having the last update be days old.

1646190957227.png

why is it that USPS doesn't like tape over the labels anyway? I figured maybe it gives their scanners trouble, but seems like UPS specifically directs you TO put tape over it.
Messes with the scanners. Messes with the UPS scanners as well. USPS specifically asks you not to use shiny labels or envelopes.

No, I don't want or need it, just wondering where my parts are is all.
Why do you think the shipper can tell you anything that you can't see from the tracking number?

A year or so ago I had a package shipped from a location less than fifteen miles away from me in a different town and USPS did the same thing. The package went around and around the state including several bounces in and out of my local post office. After probably two thousand miles and two weeks it finally arrived. I'll give USPS credit for never giving up in spite of their incompetence.

Why do you think the shipper can tell you anything that you can't see from the tracking number?
Apparently, you have never received any items mailed Parcel Post or whatever their cheapest option is. The tracking doesn't tell me the program it was shipped under. Some of those that have been used to ship stuff to me have taken 10-14 days to arrive.

Apparently, you have never received any items mailed Parcel Post or whatever their cheapest option is. The tracking doesn't tell me the program it was shipped under. Some of those that have been used to ship stuff to me have taken 10-14 days to arrive.
Hell, I mailed a check to the next town over that took 10 days to get there. Happened to one of my tenants one time too.