When is it time to replace coolant system?

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just got a 2004 with 95k miles. Already put in a new RMS and clutch. Can I wait a while to replace coolant system?

What does your coolant look like? Remove your cap (when the engine is cold) and look at the tubes, do they look clean and no restrictions?

Just got a 2004 with 95k miles. Already put in a new RMS and clutch. Can I wait a while to replace coolant system?
You can wait. At a minimum I'd put in new coolant like G-05. The radiator is known to bust at the top plastic section. Take a close look at that. Before mine ever blew it clearly had a crack in it and I replaced it. If you don't drive out in the sticks where you can't call a tow truck it is no big deal. If you do then you might want to replace it. I'd replace the coolant along with the thermostat and the radiator cap as a smart first step. If you want to go big do the hoses, radiator and the fan clutch. If you want to really do it all then go for the water pump as well. If you always drive where there is help you can just replace stuff when if fails, that is the most cost effective way to do it. Nothing needs replacement, like I said you can wait. After all nobody replaces an engine just because.

Reactions: mots and Daryl
The question is so vague but anytime you can flush and replace the coolant.
You can do it now or at 100k mark, 150k mark, summer time, winter time, lunch time, break time.
Do a full flush if you can with distilled water.

To start a proper diagnosis you should start with a visual inspection of the system.

The next step is a no brainer, pressure test it. Fix as needed. Service manual will be beneficial here.

Just dont mix coolant. Id do a full flush at least and put in G05.

My radiator went at 19 years and 92k miles. I replaced everything while I had it out of the way

Reactions: mots