Where are Black Magic Brakes made?

Not sure. However, I can tell you that even if they are made overseas, Blaine wouldn’t have them manufactured by some hole in the wall production facility with a history of turning out crappy products.

I’m not even sure why it matters? They are pretty widely regarded as the best brake option out there for the TJ.

Black Magic is HQ'd here in SOCAL, he obtains his components from several sources but they're major-brand components. Ford dual piston calipers, Centric Premium rotors, OE Mopar knuckles he remanufactures from cores he receives from Big Brake kit buyers (when he can get them back), etc. All first-quality, you won't find better quality components. I have known the owner/founder of BMB for probably 18-19 years and he won't accept anything but first-quality components. He is OCD on quality and fit.

Edit: Blaine just confirmed he is having the knuckles cast & machined here in SoCal. Apparently he was having too much trouble getting enough OE knuckle cores back from customers.

Last edited:
thanks guys! i was just curious cause i like buying USA made stuff if possible..
As do I. Unfortunately it just isn't possible to source a quality USA rotor or brake pad here. You find me any that are equivalent in performance and I'll use them provided the bump in price isn't significant and by significant, I mean within 20-30%. We do have our knuckles not only cast but machined right here in SoCal.

I'd love to have our hats made here and have. What I get for more money is not as good of quality, smaller logo, and about 1/3 fewer stitch count in the embroidered logos. Wanna supply me USA hats? Step up the quality, stitch count, and logo size for similar money and we'll buy them. The other promotional items we get from our vendor on here is not open for change though. The service and quality is far too high.

Yes Blaine, I agree that the overseas hats were better suited to your needs, even the domestic run we did for you was manufactured overseas but embroidered in the USA. I will confirm that the lip balms we do for you and the upcoming decals are all USA made! Unfortunately USA made hats would put it well above a price point that makes sense....sorry to say.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Edit: Blaine just confirmed he is having the knuckles cast & machined here in SoCal. Apparently he was having too much trouble getting enough OE knuckle cores back from customers.
As you stated, we used to rework OEM knuckles and to put into perspective how many Jeep owners didn't care that others needed brakes and therefore needed to pay attention to getting the knuckles back to us, I personally bought and delivered to Vanco when they were doing them, 400 pair of knuckles. After I took it over, I purchased another 250 pair. That is 650 customers that didn't either collect their 200 dollar core charge from Van or let me purchase them for 100.00.

We never did the core charge thing. I know too many would not send them in and I can't take advantage of human nature like that.

Yes Blaine, I agree that the overseas hats were better suited to your needs, even the domestic run we did for you was manufactured overseas but embroidered in the USA. I will confirm that the lip balms we do for you and the upcoming decals are all USA made! Unfortunately USA made hats would put it well above a price point that makes sense....sorry to say.
We do what we can but all I know is you take better care of us than we deserve and if anyone ever wants a reference, I'm glad to be first in line to tout your outstanding service.

Whats the difference in black magic pads and Hawk red brake pads? There is never a picture of the actual brake pad on the website? Even in reviews, theres never a shot of the black magic brake pad.

Whats the difference in black magic pads and Hawk red brake pads? There is never a picture of the actual brake pad on the website? Even in reviews, theres never a shot of the black magic brake pad.
They are made of dark matter, it doesn't photograph well. Nasa's been trying for years.

If you were to get a hawk red pad for the exact same application I imagine the only discernible difference would be color until you installed them and used them.

If I posted a picture of mine next to a set of hawks would you be able to tell a difference in material composition?

Very hard for American companies to compete with overseas in the Ad Specialty field - pens, lights, buttons, and the rest of the little plastic blinking doohickies. It would surprise me to get something from a company and find out it was made in the USA. But there sure are a lot of people selling it.

Very hard for American companies to compete with overseas in the Ad Specialty field - pens, lights, buttons, and the rest of the little plastic blinking doohickies. It would surprise me to get something from a company and find out it was made in the USA. But there sure are a lot of people selling it.
Wanna buy a steering knuckle for a Vanco Big Brake kit? 100% made in USA from the casting engineer in Montana, to the foundry in Los Angeles, to the machine shop in Cerritos, to me in Quail Valley.

Reactions: Tob and jeepins
I can get you pics of any part of it you like. I don't know what that will tell you but it never occurred to me that folks need a picture of a black brake pad that looks like every other black brake pad out there.

DSC_3895.JPG

You get that right! And I know this first hand all too well.

I can get you pics of any part of it you like. I don't know what that will tell you but it never occurred to me that folks need a picture of a black brake pad that looks like every other black brake pad out there.

View attachment 78287

Does it occur to you that some people like to see what they are buying? Why do we need to see a picture of a white box and not the brake pad?

Reactions: Blondie70
Does it occur to you that some people like to see what they are buying? Why do we need to see a picture of a white box and not the brake pad?

Possibly because when it comes to quality and construction of a material like a brake pad, it doesn’t matter. Simply put. It. Doesn’t. Matter. What matters is the wear characteristics, coefficient of friction under compression, and chemical composition. You can’t see that unless you’re Superman and have x ray vision capable of materials analysis. They are the best brake pads for us. Simply put they stop good, last long, and get the job done. Blaine puts wayyyyyyyyy too many hours of time and research into making his products optimal for the user. Read the reviews on here if your doubtful. Or just pm him! It’s along the same train of thinking you need to see the gasoline you put in your vehicle, no one can see higher grade or octane fuel and think just by looking at the two that one is inherently higher quality, that’s done by lab testing and the chemical process. And more times than not a companies push towards making their product more visually appealing does nothing for those quality of construction. Cool logos, color, or designs don’t translate to performance. Savvy’s aluminum parts aren’t polished and stamped with their logo.....but rough country makes sure their steel shit is painted and stamped with theirs. You see where I’m getting at? PM me if you’re curious on materials engineering and chemical composition, it’s what I got my minor in.

Last edited: