Where can I purchase a new Mopar camshaft position sensor?

If you can grab your original OEM sensor that would be ideal. Even if it does not work in the crown unit, I am sure someone here would be willing to give you money for it.
I actually hung onto the whole OPDA unit, its rolling around in the back of my truck right now lol

Update, just got the old sensor put back on. No more check engine light/P0016 code and the cruise control is back to normal!

I swapped in the the Crown ODPA. It does not seem to like any sensors other than the Crown one. Have tried the new Mopar sensor, as well as the NGK. They both instantly throw P0344 codes. The Crown one will actually randomly throw a code every now and then. I have a code scanner, and if I turn off the Jeep and clear the code, it will then be fine. But it does come back on randomly. Maybe be a couple weeks, may be the next day. Just seems odd to me.

Jeep runs perfectly fine with code on or with code off. Only difference is that with the code on, it is in limp mode and won't rev above 2500 rpm.
Started my Jeep today, hard to start, P0340 code. Cleared the code with my scan tool, starts right up and runs fine. I have the crown ODPA, never to keep the sensor cable off the old one. Just ordered the NGK for the heck of it. I do not think it is my computer, I know I have some wear on my camshaft but not sure if this is throwing the code or the sensor! Uhhhhhh, about to give up!

I am still having some issues as well with the sensors etc. Swapped over to a new PCM (wranglerfix). Drove the jeep for a few minutes after and got the same CEL (P0340, P0344). So I decided I might try a (new) mopar sensor and see what that did. Swapped the new, not new old stock, Mopar sensor in, cleared the code, then re-tried. No CEL, perfect cranking. Drove over 200 miles on a longer trip no issues. Jeep started and ran fine, no CELs, multiple starts etc. Got home, let Jeep sit for a day, then started back up again the following day. Immediate CEL. Took back to my mechanic, who then ran a diagnostic, cleared the code, and ran a re-learn on the sensor etc. with the DBIII tool. No CEL. Took out again on another 100 mile+ trip, no issues etc. Multiple stops and starts etc. Jeep sat another day. Jump back in and start, immediate CEL (same codes). Then it began to hard start on me (cranked two more times just to confirm hard starts). Tried to clear the code to no avail.

So then I thought I would try something new. Disconnected the battery for 20-30 min. Unplugged and re-plugged in all four plugs at the PCM as well as the CPS sensor plug. Re-connected battery and started Jeep. No CEL, started just fine. Another 100 mile+ trip home with a few stops and starts. No issues.

Have not tried to re-start since then, but I am completely stumped at this point and am basically at the point of just tearing into the harness to see if there is something there that may be causing this issue.

Mechanic said that it has to be something in the electronics as anything mechanical would only get worse (i.e. Cam gears should be fine).

My next course of action for him to try would be to:

1. Inspect the harness from the connector for the CPS back to the PCM
2. Remove and re-install the ODPA, making sure to get it set as close as we can to TDC
3. Getting a Mopar or other aftermarket ODPA (currently running Crown) and seeing how that does in regards to the current one.

I know that many have remarked about the crap aftermarket sensors etc. But if there is no alternative to those as well as the Crown ODPA being the best options then I may have to think about moving on from the TJ. I would like to travel and take it places, after all it only has 65k miles on it. But I would like it to be reliable and not leave me stranded because of a stupid sensor over and over when nothing is really wrong other than crappy parts.

I have already checked the harness when it goes across the oil dipstick bracket. All is well in that area and have put a piece of vacuum tube on the bracket secured with zip ties to make sure there is never an issue with rubbing going forward.

Any more thoughts/experiences?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I am still having some issues as well with the sensors etc. Swapped over to a new PCM (wranglerfix). Drove the jeep for a few minutes after and got the same CEL (P0340, P0344). So I decided I might try a (new) mopar sensor and see what that did. Swapped the new, not new old stock, Mopar sensor in, cleared the code, then re-tried. No CEL, perfect cranking. Drove over 200 miles on a longer trip no issues. Jeep started and ran fine, no CELs, multiple starts etc. Got home, let Jeep sit for a day, then started back up again the following day. Immediate CEL. Took back to my mechanic, who then ran a diagnostic, cleared the code, and ran a re-learn on the sensor etc. with the DBIII tool. No CEL. Took out again on another 100 mile+ trip, no issues etc. Multiple stops and starts etc. Jeep sat another day. Jump back in and start, immediate CEL (same codes). Then it began to hard start on me (cranked two more times just to confirm hard starts). Tried to clear the code to no avail.

So then I thought I would try something new. Disconnected the battery for 20-30 min. Unplugged and re-plugged in all four plugs at the PCM as well as the CPS sensor plug. Re-connected battery and started Jeep. No CEL, started just fine. Another 100 mile+ trip home with a few stops and starts. No issues.

Have not tried to re-start since then, but I am completely stumped at this point and am basically at the point of just tearing into the harness to see if there is something there that may be causing this issue.

Mechanic said that it has to be something in the electronics as anything mechanical would only get worse (i.e. Cam gears should be fine).

2. Remove and re-install the ODPA, making sure to get it set as close as we can to TDC
3. Getting a Mopar or other aftermarket ODPA (currently running Crown) and seeing how that does in regards to the current one.

I know that many have remarked about the crap aftermarket sensors etc. But if there is no alternative to those as well as the Crown ODPA being the best options then I may have to think about moving on from the TJ. I would like to travel and take it places, after all it only has 65k miles on it. But I would like it to be reliable and not leave me stranded because of a stupid sensor over and over when nothing is really wrong other than crappy parts.

I have already checked the harness when it goes across the oil dipstick bracket. All is well in that area and have put a piece of vacuum tube on the bracket secured with zip ties to make sure there is never an issue with rubbing going forward.

Give me a call when you get this (228-297-1371)

Sent you a message, give a call.....

I will gladly get the pcm back in here to test it for you. Please call or email me when you get a chance.

I will gladly get the pcm back in here to test it for you. Please call or email me when you get a chance.
Did you pull out the ODPA and actually inspect the cam gears?

Okay:
-Jeep would not crank back in 2017 (put in a refurb PCM from dealer-never heard of wranglerfix at that time). That seemed to work for a while. (IF it were the PCM, why just one single code and not multiple codes if it were truly bad)?
-At some point because of an article I read about the factory ODPA wearing out the gears in the cam shaft, I replaced with an aftermarket one (probably a Crown), did not keep the original sensor cable as I never heard of an issue with the cable, and Jeep ran fine for a couple years it seemed (there was some wear on the camshaft and the ODPA gears but I am no mechanic so I do not know what is within specs).
-Jeep started acting up again a year ago. P0340 and a couple times a misfire on cylinder 3 (which there is a TSB on about heat issues with that injector), so I just recently installed a DEI heat shield kit for the injectors and fuel rail and new o-rings which had no affect really as I have not gotten the misfire in a long time anyway.
-New Autolite iridium plugs (old plugs looked perfectly fine).
-New coil pack (no change at all).
-Took it to the dealer and they said "cam shaft is worn and that is why you are getting the P0340 code and we see nothing wrong with the PCM or wiring or anything else.
-Took it to a really good shop, they tested a lot of the wires and said not wiring harness, they really did not see how the wear on the camshaft was causing this but they got it to run and put the ODPA a few degrees out to run properly.
-Problem returns, P0340.
-Jeep runs fine for days, sometimes an entire week, it was fine and then cranked up a few days ago on my way to work and stumbled trying to start, started but I revved up the motor and it was like at 2k rpm and surging up and down. I took out my scanner, cleared the code and the Jeep has run fine for 3 days now with no CELs!!!
-I read somewhere to put in a spacer behind the bolt that attaches the sensor to the ODPA, a really thin one and try that (no CEL for 3 days but do not know true results yet).
-I had a dealer do a nationwide search for an OEM sensor cable (none anywhere he said).
-Just ordered a sensor off Amazon that says "Genuine Chrysler", who knows what it is!

I am VERY curious to see if your wranglerfix PCM is good or bad before I too go that route, and again, why just one code P0340?

This is BEYOND FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!

Update: I read somewhere where an individual said put a small washerspacer behind the sensor cable bolt and between where it attaches to the ODPA. I did that on Tuesday and have not had a starting/running issue since. Stay tuned. I also found on Amazon another sensor cable made by Genuine Chrysler? I am not sure, hoping its closer to OEM. Called my local dealer to find an OEM sensor and he said he did a nationwide database search and there were NONE to be found. Found a couple 2005 4.0 motors but no junkyard will sell me just that part (they want 800.00 for the motor).

Update: the washer I installed as mentioned earlier is still installed and no CEL or rough idle or start at all since. FYI, I ordered a Genuine Chrysler sensor cable, came in yesterday in an OEM MOPAR box! Have not compared the one installed to this one as the Jeep is running fine and do not want to mess with it yet unless it acts up. Could it be as simple as a 15 cent washer? lol

Update on my issue. Mechanic thinks my issue may have something to do with the harness. Said he can use the scan tool and see where the sensor is within range etc. meaning the ODPA is set up correctly. Also getting the constant 5V that is required. Getting the P0340 and P0344 code randomly still. So everything seems to point him to some sort of short or something in the harness. The normal area that gets compromised at the dipstick tube bracket is fine. Problem is, overall engine harness is discontinued. So at this point all he can do is check with some junkyards to try and find an OEM harness.

Getting a little frustrated at this point as I have a 2006 LJ with 60k miles on the clock just sitting right now. Ever since swapping out the ODPA for the crown unit I've had issues. Zero issues before that. Had to swap it out as it was starting to make noise. Wondering at this point if it is worth changing out the ODPA to see if that's the issue. I think my only option is the Crown ODPA.

Jeep runs just fine with the CEL on or off. Just runs in limp mode with the CEL on and occasionally will hard start.

Picked this Jeep up as I was getting tired of deal with modern day electronic issues and paying an arm and leg to have them fixed every time. I know the 4.0 is basically a bomb proof platform, but if it is going to continually be an issue to get quality replacement parts, it may not be worth it anymore.

Anyone have a decent engine wiring harness for an 06 MT?

anyone ever get anywhere with this? Had to get my car towed one day in the rain as the engine / RPMs started to fluctuate and jump until i came to a stop — then it stalled. I held the gas pedal to the floor and tried to restart it- it started hard & week - threw a crank shaft code, and then stalled out again. My mechanic installed an aftermarked crank and camshaft after I had a ton of issues involving the original ones. I know OEM crank sensors are easy to find, but the OEM cam is virtually impossible. Asked several local junkyards & called jeep dealership who confirmed 1 left in georgia, but georgia dealership states they did not have it.

Similar to everyone else here — CEL on for camshaft sensor. Car does not start in cold weather (unless I hold pedal to floor, and then that throws the same camshaft sensor code). Reset code / reset battery — light comes back on 2 days later.

not sure what else to do at this point ! car isnt reliable

Final update for those who need it. We wound up swapping my engine wiring harness out for a used one. They no longer make a harness for these year models, so a used OEM one is your best bet. I found one on www.car-part.com for around $200.

Mechanic continued to believe the source of the issue was somewhere in the wiring. After swapping that in, he was still having a few minor issues. He wound up wiring in an older version of the ODPA as his diagnostic tool could get more information from that unit than the current one. Found and made a few wiring changes that seemed to fix the issues. Plugged back in the old unit as well as my old PCM, and swapped in a new CPS. Everything seems to be running fine now.

Have put over 1,000 miles on it with no issues. Nice to have the LJ back in fully functioning order again (knock on wood).

My mechanic did say this one really tested his mettle. He has been a Chrysler tech for over 25 years, and owned his own shop for quite a while now. He did say the new aftermarket sensor aren't what they used to be, but this was not really a sensor issue, but more related to wiring and communication.

Bottom-line, hopefully you can find a good mechanic willing to work on something like this. This seems to not be so much about swapping parts in to fix, but more of making sure everything is communicating correctly with the PCM. All the parts seem to be fine (crown ODPA, aftermarket sensors etc.), but they don't seem to communicate well with one another by just swapping them in and out.

Dman182 - if you have not done so, I would recommend finding a mechanic that has the DRB III Scanner Tool that can communicate with our PCMs. First I would try to clear all the codes and re-sync the CPS and the Crank Position Sensors. This seems to solve most issues with the aftermarket sensors. If that does not work, the second thing I would explore is the part of the wiring harness that goes to the CPS. It passes over the oil dipstick tube mounting bracket on the passenger side of the engine block. Over time, that bracket may rub a hole in that harness and create a short in the wires that take the signal from the CPS to the PCM. That seems to be the next source of interruption behind the two sensors not being in sync.

Apart from those two fixes, it's going to be a head scratcher and will take some trial and error on the part of a knowledgeable mechanic.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I was out of my Jeep for eight weeks while my mechanic sorted it out. This was not a job he could work on while the phones were ringing and people were in and out of the shop. He had to spend some time afterhours working on this one.

Final update for those who need it. We wound up swapping my engine wiring harness out for a used one. They no longer make a harness for these year models, so a used OEM one is your best bet. I found one on www.car-part.com for around $200.

Mechanic continued to believe the source of the issue was somewhere in the wiring. After swapping that in, he was still having a few minor issues. He wound up wiring in an older version of the ODPA as his diagnostic tool could get more information from that unit than the current one. Found and made a few wiring changes that seemed to fix the issues. Plugged back in the old unit as well as my old PCM, and swapped in a new CPS. Everything seems to be running fine now.

Have put over 1,000 miles on it with no issues. Nice to have the LJ back in fully functioning order again (knock on wood).

My mechanic did say this one really tested his mettle. He has been a Chrysler tech for over 25 years, and owned his own shop for quite a while now. He did say the new aftermarket sensor aren't what they used to be, but this was not really a sensor issue, but more related to wiring and communication.

Bottom-line, hopefully you can find a good mechanic willing to work on something like this. This seems to not be so much about swapping parts in to fix, but more of making sure everything is communicating correctly with the PCM. All the parts seem to be fine (crown ODPA, aftermarket sensors etc.), but they don't seem to communicate well with one another by just swapping them in and out.

Dman182 - if you have not done so, I would recommend finding a mechanic that has the DRB III Scanner Tool that can communicate with our PCMs. First I would try to clear all the codes and re-sync the CPS and the Crank Position Sensors. This seems to solve most issues with the aftermarket sensors. If that does not work, the second thing I would explore is the part of the wiring harness that goes to the CPS. It passes over the oil dipstick tube mounting bracket on the passenger side of the engine block. Over time, that bracket may rub a hole in that harness and create a short in the wires that take the signal from the CPS to the PCM. That seems to be the next source of interruption behind the two sensors not being in sync.

Apart from those two fixes, it's going to be a head scratcher and will take some trial and error on the part of a knowledgeable mechanic.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I was out of my Jeep for eight weeks while my mechanic sorted it out. This was not a job he could work on while the phones were ringing and people were in and out of the shop. He had to spend some time afterhours working on this one.

thanks for the post. I ordered a new PCM from wranglerfix about 5 months ago due to the whole jumping transmission issue. Fortunately, that fixed the issue immediately.

I then had issues with my CPM. I ordered six different ones and they all had the same issue- long long start forcing a CEL- based on weather. In another forum post, a few people had success using the camshaft position sensor from NAPA know how. I eventually ordered this as my 7th sensor- and it has worked great so far

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I too put the Echlin cam position sensor from Napa on my LJ over a week ago. It has not thrown a code so far even on these freezing mornings. The cam position sensor that came with the Crown OPDA was throwing a code on any morning below 40 degrees causing me to have to reset the code to drive the Jeep. I wish I had known about the one from NAPA a year ago when I bought the Jeep.

I found only Crown and aftermarket replacements on eBay, no Mopars. There's a slim chance you can get a Mopar at a Mopar parts site like https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-camshaft-sensor-5149034aa which sell only Mopar replacement parts.
my question:why doesnt the aftermarket options address the continuing problem?apparently i need to find an original jeep with the original part?i dont understand what it is that the aftermarket providers dont realize...