Where did you mount your power steering cooler?

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I bought this in 2018 along with a new pump to put on my 99 TJ. Ran out of time before a trip and didn't have time to fiddle so I put the pump on it and never came back for the cooler, so I still have it in my parts bin.

1659968204441.png

I'd like to install it, but I don't want to put any more heat into the cooling system so I really don't want to put it in front of the radiator if I can avoid it. Curious what other options anybody has figured out that will get it some air but keep it out of harms way.

I bought this in 2018 along with a new pump to put on my 99 TJ. Ran out of time before a trip and didn't have time to fiddle so I put the pump on it and never came back for the cooler, so I still have it in my parts bin.

View attachment 349320

I'd like to install it, but I don't want to put any more heat into the cooling system so I really don't want to put it in front of the radiator if I can avoid it. Curious what other options anybody has figured out that will get it some air but keep it out of harms way.

We run a tolerable steering cooler and a monster Setrab slimline race cooler in the grill in front of the radiator with zero issues. Are you watching your coolant temps on the dash gauge or some bullshit scan gauge type dealio?

If the cooling system is in good working order, there's no reason not to put it up front. My TJ setup is overkill, read larger than needed, and coolant temps stay around 210°, transmission temps reach a max of 180°, and the power steering no longer makes noise or spits fluid when it gets hot. All of this is while either in bumper to bumper Summer traffic, or slow crawling off-road.

20210416_203257-jpg.244461

We run a tolerable steering cooler and a monster Setrab slimline race cooler in the grill in front of the radiator with zero issues. Are you watching your coolant temps on the dash gauge or some bullshit scan gauge type dealio?

Torque app with generic OBD2 to bluetooth dongle so I'm seeing it with the 1°C/1.8°F resolution that the PCM uses.

I don't actually know that I have a problem, I just know my 99 never got past 210 (even with the bullshit scan gauge) and this 06 will get up into the mid 220's idling and right at 220 on the highway when running AC. Mopar radiator, unknown water pump, new fan clutch and spotless water jacket. The problem is I changed rigs and changed locales at the same time, so I don't have any way of knowing if there's something a little bit off in the cooling system or the extra humidity putting more load on the AC than I had in the desert.