Power Steering Cooler Install Help Needed

Salty_Dalty

2004 TJ Rubicon w/ 4.0L & 42RLE
I recently purchased a PSC power steering and transmission cooler (second hand because they are not available anymore). I was curious how everyone ran the lines for them? I saw one video on Youtube and PSC didn't have any instructions to install it when I emailed them. Just wanna make sure I do it right! Thank y'all!

2004 TJ Rubicon w/ 4.0L & 42RLE
I recently purchased a PSC power steering and transmission cooler (second hand because they are not available anymore). I was curious how everyone ran the lines for them? I saw one video on Youtube and PSC didn't have any instructions to install it when I emailed them. Just wanna make sure I do it right! Thank y'all!

I run that PSC cooler setup, and it works very well for me.

Assuming you are running a stock setup, on the power steering side run a line from the low pressure, output port on the steering gear to the lower port on one of the coolers, and then a line from the upper port on that cooler back to the input/return port on the power steering pump reservoir.

On each of the coolers, it is important that the input line goes to the lower port and the output is on the upper port. This keeps air from being trapped in the cooler.

On the tranny side, keep the radiator cooler in line. Run a line from the output port of the tranny to the lower port on the other PSC cooler, and run a line from the upper port on that cooler to the radiator cooler input port (doesn’t matter which port), and then run a line from the other radiator port back to the input port on the tranny.

Connect your soft lines to the metal hard lines coming in and out of the tranny.

You may have to do some research on your tranny to see which port is the input and which is the output to get you flow correct.

I found it was easier to use the driver’s side PSC cooler for the steering, and the passenger side cooler for the tranny.

I hope that helps.

Assuming you are running a stock setup, on the power steering side run a line from the low pressure, output port on the steering gear to the lower port on one of the coolers, and then a line from the upper port on that cooler back to the input/return port on the power steering pump reservoir.

On each of the coolers, it is important that the input line goes to the lower port and the output is on the upper port. This keeps air from being trapped in the cooler.

On the tranny side, keep the radiator cooler in line. Run a line from the output port of the tranny to the lower port on the other PSC cooler, and run a line from the upper port on that cooler to the radiator cooler input port (doesn’t matter which port), and then run a line from the other radiator port back to the input port on the tranny.

Connect your soft lines to the metal hard lines coming in and out of the tranny.

You may have to do some research on your tranny to see which port is the input and which is the output to get you flow correct.

I found it was easier to use the driver’s side PSC cooler for the steering, and the passenger side cooler for the tranny.

I hope that helps.

Dude you are awesome. I have done plenty of work on my Jeep myself but never done any kind of plumbing or coolers or anything like that so this is all a learning process for me. But that is all so helpful. Thank you so much!

Reactions: NashvilleTJ

I hope that helps.

Starting on this now. Still trying to get that pesky bolt on the bottom passenger side of the rad loose. So the input to the new aftermarket cooler goes to the top and the output goes on the bottom correct? I saw someone else mention the opposite on another post.

Post pics of the cooler
IMG_8711.jpeg

Two heat exchangers? That looks really big. Where are you putting it?

Two heat exchangers? That looks really big. Where are you putting it?

It goes in front of the A/C condenser and rad and behind the grille. The bracket replaces the "V" shaped supports behind the grille. One is for transmission and one is for power steering. It's an old kit made by PSC that was discontinued.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I have this one. You'll need to unbolt the condenser from the top of the grille and then remove the top two radiator to grille bolts. Loosen the four lower bolts by at least 4 or so turns. If you have the center two bolts, remove those too. Lean the radiator and condenser back (you may need to remove the shroud and fan too), unbolt the v-bar, and bolt the bracket in its place.

Notes:
The lower v-bar screw is a huge pain to get to sometimes. Take your time and try not to stab the condenser.

Pre-bolt the coolers to the bracket. Since the bracket doesn't have rivet nuts, it's quite difficult to install the bolt from behind after bolting in the bracket.

I took a 1" or so hole saw and cut a few holes in the lower bracket area where that wide space is covered. This marginally increases airflow to the radiator and condenser right behind that spot.

Unlike the BMB cooler, you don't need to remove the headlights. But it can help with routing if you plan to penetrate that space.

Note that those coolers accept a 3/8" hose only. This is equivalent to a -6AN hose. There is a fatter Derale cooler you can bolt on as well if you need -8AN, such as for hydro assist steering or engine oil cooling.

I have this one. You'll need to unbolt the condenser from the top of the grille and then remove the top two radiator to grille bolts. Loosen the four lower bolts by at least 4 or so turns. If you have the center two bolts, remove those too. Lean the radiator and condenser back (you may need to remove the shroud and fan too), unbolt the v-bar, and bolt the bracket in its place.

Notes:
The lower v-bar screw is a huge pain to get to sometimes. Take your time and try not to stab the condenser.

Pre-bolt the coolers to the bracket. Since the bracket doesn't have rivet nuts, it's quite difficult to install the bolt from behind after bolting in the bracket.

I took a 1" or so hole saw and cut a few holes in the lower bracket area where that wide space is covered. This marginally increases airflow to the radiator and condenser right behind that spot.

Unlike the BMB cooler, you don't need to remove the headlights. But it can help with routing if you plan to penetrate that space.

Note that those coolers accept a 3/8" hose only. This is equivalent to a -6AN hose. There is a fatter Derale cooler you can bolt on as well if you need -8AN, such as for hydro assist steering or engine oil cooling.

Thank you! I have them bolted to the bracket and am working on loosing up the rad currently. Did you put the input to the new cooler on top or bottom? I seem to find mixed answers on this.

It goes in front of the A/C condenser and rad and behind the grille. The bracket replaces the "V" shaped supports behind the grille. One is for transmission and one is for power steering. It's an old kit made by PSC that was discontinued.

Hmm. Not that it matters in your case, but these both get attached to the V bar. Top is power steering, bottom is transmission.
20230114_193552.jpg

For you, the hots go in the lower end of the coolers. The uppers go to the returns. The auxiliary transmission cooler is plumbed after the radiator.

Starting on this now. Still trying to get that pesky bolt on the bottom passenger side of the rad loose. So the input to the new aftermarket cooler goes to the top and the output goes on the bottom correct? I saw someone else mention the opposite on another post.

Read what I wrote a little more closely. JJ is correct - the hot line (input to the cooler) always goes to the bottom fitting. The cold line (read: cooled - output from the cooler) goes on the top port on the cooler. Again, the reason is to get any air to flow upward to escape the cooler.

Reactions: jjvw
Read what I wrote a little more closely. JJ is correct - the hot line (input to the cooler) always goes to the bottom fitting. The cold line (read: cooled - output from the cooler) goes on the top port on the cooler. Again, the reason is to get any air to flow upward to escape the cooler.

Bottom to top flow also helps disburse the heat across the field of the exchanger. On the big Setrab unit mine has for the transmission, the in/out are on opposite corners which further disburses the heat throughout the exchanger. The interior of the BMB power steering exchanger tube also has a full length interior wavy baffle to mix up the fluid as it passes through.

Last edited:

Oh okay I gotcha. Thank you so much man. I really appreciate the help! Currently working on getting the bracket mounted up now. That dang bolt on the bottom of the V support is a pain in the butt to get out and back in.

Got the transmission side of things all finished up yesterday. Now working on the power steering. Any tips on getting these odd style of hose clamps off of the power steering hoses?