Where do the mice keep getting into my TJ?

If you do find "the" place where they are coming in, use steel wool to plug it. They won't chew through it.

And, I use "one bite" in the shop and barn.
I prefer the pellets instead of the bars.

I don't know why the spinning reel shows up...

https://www.ebay.com/p/8031751827?i...MIwszF7brA6gIVfT6tBh0s4QN-EAQYAyABEgJa9fD_BwE

Taking a different tact, I have a good idea on how to prevent them from infiltrating your vehicles. The execution of it, I am still working on though.

They won't swim unless they have to. My thought is to park in a puddle or an artificial "pond" made out of 2x4's and plastic. Drive up and over the edge, remove your ramps, you should be good to go. Just leave an edge of about 10" all of the way around the jeep. Unless they are bring chased by something, they won't jump to the vehicle. The water only needs to be an inch or so deep to deter them. Unless they're rats, then you may need a new tactic, rats will swim.

I have also heard about a wall, about 12-14 inches high, made out of metal, all around your vehicle. But some say that they will dig under it, so it needs to be buried to some depth.

The larger lift idea won't work. They can and will scamper and climb tires, suspension, brake lines, etc. They're evil!

Not that I've been dwelling on this for a long time or anything...

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Don't worry, if you use the one bite poison, the smell of the rotting corpse only smells for a day or so. But, you know you got 'em!

I tried Irish Spring. Fuckers ate most of the bar. Seriously! Tried a special mouce deterant similar to a potpourri type package. Made a nice nest out of it. Tried Decon in the glovebox and they just used it for the bottom of their nest. I've (my dog) killed at least 5 or 6 adults and yet they keep coming back. Guess I'm lucky they haven't eaten the wiring harness yet. I'll try the dryer sheets. They claim the sheets keep mosquitoes away if you have 1 in your pocket. Didn't see any evidence of that either. Must be something they dislike enough to quit moving in.
antifreeze on bologna

My dad used to use granular fly bait and Pepsi for raccoon control in a few of our barns. They’d be dead within a few feet. It may work on mice. It’ll kill dogs and cats also, be careful if you try it.

Diet Pepsi did not work, they wouldn’t drink it.

My dad used to use granular fly bait and Pepsi for raccoon control in a few of our barns. They’d be dead within a few feet. It may work on mice. It’ll kill dogs and cats also, be careful if you try it.

Its the sugar.
Seriously.

I hear the Mountain Dew works good with that mix.

And, I use "one bite" in the shop and barn.
I prefer the pellets instead of the bars.

I don't know why the spinning reel shows up...

https://www.ebay.com/p/8031751827?i...MIwszF7brA6gIVfT6tBh0s4QN-EAQYAyABEgJa9fD_BwE

Taking a different tact, I have a good idea on how to prevent them from infiltrating your vehicles. The execution of it, I am still working on though.

They won't swim unless they have to. My thought is to park in a puddle or an artificial "pond" made out of 2x4's and plastic. Drive up and over the edge, remove your ramps, you should be good to go. Just leave an edge of about 10" all of the way around the jeep. Unless they are bring chased by something, they won't jump to the vehicle. The water only needs to be an inch or so deep to deter them. Unless they're rats, then you may need a new tactic, rats will swim.

I have also heard about a wall, about 12-14 inches high, made out of metal, all around your vehicle. But some say that they will dig under it, so it needs to be buried to some depth.

The larger lift idea won't work. They can and will scamper and climb tires, suspension, brake lines, etc. They're evil!

Not that I've been dwelling on this for a long time or anything...
Buy a car lift and put your Jeep on it every night and raise it up so they can't get to it. Good excuse to buy a lift to work on your Jeep. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
All these great ideas! And I was just going to hire off duty English Queen's guardsman. Those tall fuzzy hats should cause the mice to nest in them🤔. Was working out how to fly them back to London before their next shift.😉
Didn't think to look at the shifter boots. That's a good idea.
Pond won't work now. Way too dry here. People have their wells going dry. Will look into the 'one bite'. Problem with poison is I have a lot of animals around me. And i think my pup has some Terrier in her because she relentlessly hunts and eats mice, moles, rabbits, even hunts small packs of coy-dogs. (Her known record is 3 coy-dogs at once and wins.)
For those that don't know, coy-dogs are a cross of true coyote and ferrel dog. Been a big problem in my area for decades.
Anyway, she would certainly devour any small dead rodent and its poison filled guts. Truly appreciate your help thinking outside the box. Small critters are twice as populous this year for some reason. Rabbits are way down tho.🤔

You definitely have a full on mouse community living around you. One way or another you need to knock the population down. Since poison is out, I'd get a dozen or so "Tomcat Press & Set Mouse Traps". I use peanut butter & bird seed mixed in. The traps are powerful and simple to use with no wire to fiddle with. There's a little cup that holds the bait and when you get a mouse, just pull the handle and drop the mouse all while not having to touch it. You also don't have to rebait after a catch!
I'd set the traps anywhere around your house, garage and outbuildings on both the inside and outside structure. I place my traps perpendicular to wall and touching wall. (since mice run along wall) Check your traps daily and reset until you stop catching them. After that, you can reduce the number of traps.
I know it's time to set traps again when I see mouse turds.

The main goal is to reduce the population.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatman
We had a mouse problem in one of the shops I worked in when in the Air Force. We took a metal trash can, about 1-1/2 foot tall, put peanut butter in the bottom (no bag) and made a ramp to the top edge. The next day there were three mice in there. The crazy thing is that only one was alive. The other two had their brains eaten. 😳 Just an empty cavity on the top of their heads. I never knew mice would do that until then.

Anyway, over the next week or so, we caught 1-3 each day. Eventually we had no more problems.

You could cover the can, run a hose into it from an exhaust source to put them to sleep or feed them poison in the can finish them off.

Grew up slaughtering animals on our beef farm. I'm not squeamish with death. I've tried those traps that can catch 'unlimited' mice each night and never had one so much as take a look at it. Guess I'll try the ol' 5 gal bucket trap in a couple places.
What do you guys prefer for bait? Cheese and peanut butter have always been poor performers around me. Actually saw a mouse trying to climb up and into a tractor last night in the rain. It saw me too. Didn't care. Bold little f♡cker!

The 5 gal bucket with the tilting plank?

I like peanut butter but what seems to work best is plain old birdseed/sunflower seed.

(Then I get to save the PB for myself)

We want pics!

Farmers told me Irish Spring soap has kept mice away from tractors for decades. I cut a bar up and put it around my storage when I put the boat up for winter. Never had a mouse in the boat and it smells good in my storage barn.
My wife uses it in her flower beds for rabbits, seems so-so!! I think my mice get in tgey the rust holes!!

While I can't tell you how they aer getting in your jeep, I thought I would share this.

My buddies wife saw a mouse in the house just the other night.

He 3D printed one of these.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4125119/comments

Behold the very first night.
IMG_7186.jpeg

Last edited: