Where does the shift interlock cable attach at the steering column?

It the interlock module the same? TJs are pretty rare in the yards around her, but lots of other jeeps.

Little rant... Found a TCM from a WK for 87 dollars. The one for the TJ is 275! And... The pins are all rusty.
Looking at the picture Tom posted above, and the screenshot from the video, the bottom piece where the cable connects looks identical. My manual has the little spring indent on the bottom so I’m guessing it’s the same on the inside. I’m gonna experiment tonight to see if it works. I’ll also pull a WJ and XJ apart to see if there are any differences.

That’s ridiculous but not surprising. People are trying to get their weight in gold for TJ parts.

Good news @mrblaine and @Mike_H , The bottom plate with the slot for the ignition cable is a direct fit to my TJ. I just took the bottom plate off with the manual key release and swapped in the one for with ignition cable slot. Little pellet kept the interlock cable from moving.
E6837235-D2A2-4C2C-81B0-8CAA5833CD88.jpeg

Three were from a KJ, one was from a WJ. I picked up four, so Blaine I can send two to you, and Mike, since you’re planning to do an auto swap I’d be happy to send you one too.

I’m not sure if these would fit anything 97-02.

Good news @mrblaine and @Mike_H , The bottom plate with the slot for the ignition cable is a direct fit to my TJ. I just took the bottom plate off with the manual key release and swapped in the one for with ignition cable slot. Little pellet kept the interlock cable from moving.
View attachment 311264

Three were from a KJ, one was from a WJ. I picked up four, so Blaine I can send two to you, and Mike, since you’re planning to do an auto swap I’d be happy to send you one too.

That's great! Thank you!

View attachment 311264

Let me see what they look like tomorrow.

This thread helped me pinpoint that I’m actually missing that shift cable interlock block in the column and leads off where I could find it I think maybe I saw a video of someone getting it off of a jeep liberty but that’s all I could find???

View attachment 311264

If I remove my manual piece is it all straightforward? I have the pellet, housing, spring and two screws (T-10 security Torx). I just don’t know how it goes together. 🤔

My steering column is off now, so it’s easy to get to on the bench.

If I remove my manual piece is it all straightforward? I have the pellet, housing, spring and two screws (T-10 security Torx). I just don’t know how it goes together. 🤔

My steering column is off now, so it’s easy to get to on the bench.

It’s pretty easy to do. Or intuitive anyways. I’ll try and find the video I watched that showed it.

It’s pretty easy to do. Or intuitive anyways. I’ll try and find the video I watched that showed it.

I got it! Easy. I was just worried about taking it apart. Thanks!

IMG_2701.jpeg

For those doing the swap from NSG370 to 42rle:

1. Carefully remove the 2 security T-10 Torx screws with your finger on the housing.
2. Once removed carefully remove the housing. There’s a spring inside you don’t want to lose. It’s the same spring on the NSG-370 and the 42rle, so you can reuse it.
3. The next part has to be done upside down. That is, in the normal steering column position so you raise the new housing, pellet, and spring up to its seating position.
4 raise it into position. If you have the steering column off you can turn it over as long as you hold the housing down in its seated position so the pellet and spring don’t get lost in the assembly. . Put the T-10 screws in. If you do this step upside down keep holding the housing seated until you get the T-10 screws in. Hand tighten.
5. With the steering column in the normal position, look inside the housing where the shift interlock cable goes to make sure the pellet is still there. If so, you’re good. Tighten down the 2 T-10 screws just enough.

You’re done!

Last edited:
Just watched a pretty informative video from a guy swapping out an ignition switch on his 05 liberty. Crossover part on several Jeep models and looks pretty straightforward. I see what y’all mean now by the pellet.

Can you post the video? I'm going to probably have to figure out to eventually.

I got it! Easy. I was just worried about taking it apart. Thanks!

View attachment 500772

For those doing the swap from NSG370 to 42rle:

1. Carefully remove the 2 security T-10 Torx screws with your finger on the housing.
2. Once removed carefully remove the housing. There’s a spring inside you don’t want to lose. It’s the same spring on the NSG-370 and the 42rle, so you can reuse it.
3. The next part has to be done upside down. That is, in the normal steering column position so you raise the new housing, pellet, and spring up to its seating position.
4 raise it into position. If you have the steering column off you can turn it over as long as you hold the housing down in its seated position so the pellet and spring don’t get lost in the assembly. . Put the T-10 screws in. If you do this step upside down keep holding the housing seated until you get the T-10 screws in.
5. With the steering column in the normal position, look inside the housing where the shift interlock cable goes to make sure the pellet is still there. If so, you’re good. Tighten down the 2 T-10 screws just enough.

You’re done!

And a shout out to @Mike_H for sending me the housing, spring, pellet, and screws. These are hard to find. Thank you Mike!

@Jamison has done us a service in discovering that the WJ’s have the same parts, so hopefully we’ll have a good supply.

Can you post the video? I'm going to probably have to figure out to eventually.

Go to 3:35. It gives you the general concept of how it goes together.

Then go to 7:30. You’ll see where he loses the little pellet and how it plays with the interlock cable. Once you see it it’s way less daunting than it seems.

I think that the interlock cable and those pieces are interchangeable across all TJ years, and I know you can get them out of WJs and KJs. I know for a fact the KJ one works with 05-06 TJs as it’s the same part number.

*edit* I see that @JMT did a mini write up while I wrote this 😆 Well done, and one less thing to worry about!

Last edited:
Go to 3:35. It gives you the general concept of how it goes together.

Then go to 7:30. You’ll see where he loses the little pellet and how it plays with the interlock cable. Once you see it it’s way less daunting than it seems.

I think that the interlock cable and those pieces are interchangeable across all TJ years, and I know you can get them out of WJs and KJs. I know for a fact the KJ one works with 05-06 TJs as it’s the same part number.

*edit* I see that @JMT did a mini write up while I wrote this 😆 Well done, and one less thing to worry about!

That’s the same video I watched before changing my ignition actuator a few years ago. Good to know about the WJ’s too.

Reactions: Jamison C