Where is the switch that controls the 4WD light?

Scott alcorn

Not sure this goes her but here goes... where is the switch that controls the 4wd light on the dash when shifted into 4wd ... mine dont go out ever and yes I'm sure it's not in 4wd ...pictures would be great 04 Rubicon auto

I do believe the switch is what I've circled in red.

I just did mine. I found it easiest to remove the shifter and go thru the trans tunnel. You'll need an 1 1/2" socket.
Switch Part # is 5083138AA, Rock Auto had the best price.

Thanks I was wondering if I could do it without pulling skid plate can usually get hands and arms in weird places but yeah that's news thanks

Sense the switch in question is on the transfer case, it should be the same for manual or auto. Do search for the part# to see if it specifies, but I'd be surprised if it did.

I'm in the process of replacing my switch. There seems to be 3 variations available. If you have a Rubicon with NV241 transfer case, the switch is different than non-Rubicons with a NV231 transfer case. When I was trouble shooting my switch, I was able to get a good look at the connector style. That's what I used to confirm I got the correct switch.

Reactions: Willys LJ
How did you troubleshoot it

I posted a similar question in another thread. In my case, the 4WD dash light did not come on when I was in 4WD. I pulled the connector off the switch, jumped the connector with a paper clip. Doing this, my dash light goes on. I bought a new switch, but have not had the time to install.

Man, I didn't even know there was a 4wd light. I only ever realized that I left my t case in 4wd when the steering jumped around while pulling out of the driveway.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Apologies on reviving an old thread, but my Googlefoo is lacking today 😁

I just picked up an 05 Rubicon last night and the 4WD indicator is lit in 2WD and yes, it really is in 2HI. Shifting to 4HI it goes out but lights again in 4LO.

Bad switch or something more ominous?

Thanks.

PS - I worked the TCase into and out of gears for a few and the light magically works now.

Last edited: