Where should I start for TJ maintenance?

robert_tj_ski

Hi jeep people, I just purchased a 2001 jeep tj 4.0L manual with 147k miles. Its pretty stock besides bumper and tire rock. (That's what I was looking for, dont feel comfortable buying cars that were modified by many people). This will be mostly my summer toy. Throughout the winter I would like to do some maintenance on it. Where should I start? The guy I got it from did the front and back breaks, new spark plugs and cables and oil change. That's all I know.... i definitely want to change fluids, transmission, transfer case and what else do you guys recommend? Could you please also tell what type of fluids you recommend? All help would be appreciated thanks. Once I'll figure out this forum I'll post some pictures of the jeep. It's pretty clean inside and out very low rust.

Screenshot_20191121-120426_Facebook.jpg

There are actually some threads in the how to section you may enjoy , with recommendations on fluid type and capacties.

Welcome to the Forum , you will find the best TJ knowledge anywhere right here.

One of the first things I do with one is basically tighten bolts and clean underneath so I can see what’s going on ....check everything , track bar bolts , etc. ... bolts on things that move especially.

Thanks a lot. I will study this forum for sure. I feel like jeeps have the most websites and resources then any other cars. Cant wait to get my hands on....

Going to tackle the transmission fluid and TC soon. I'm about to order the oils.
Decided to go with :
-red line MTL for transmission
-mopar ATF+4 for TC.
After that will start researching and learning about differentials. One step at a time ;)

While I was under the jeep I've noticed this :( , see attached picture, it's the drain plug. What do you guys think? I definitely want to change that. Couldn't really find an replacement one online yet, I'll try to go to the actual auto parts store. Want to get the plug first before mowing on.

20191203_190007.jpg

20191203_190011.jpg

Before you pull the drain plug, make sure you can remove the fill plug.

Sucks to drain the fluid to find out you can't fill it back up. Goes for all fluids that have both a drain and fill plug.

Before you pull the drain plug, make sure you can remove the fill plug.

Sucks to drain the fluid to find out you can't fill it back up. Goes for all fluids that have both a drain and fill plug.
I know that. Just the drain plug looks it has been scraped off a little bit. Hopefully I'll be able to unscrew that.

Looks incredibly good !! AllI can suggest is checking all the driveline components. U-joints, knuckels, brakes, calipers. Looks like you found a rare great buy.

On the diff, I’m a fan of lube lockers versus messing with RTV. Some people dislike them but I’ve used them for a long time without issue.