Which components affect ride quality the most and least?

Shocks, 100%. No, you don’t have to outboard - that does wonders but isn’t necessary to get a nice ride.

It could also be the bumps you likely had to add to make 35” tires fit on a 2” lift. I bet you’re bottoming out constantly. You really should be closer to 5” total lift for 35s.
I have 4.5-5” of up travel before the bump stops are contacted. My suspension lift is closer to 3” plus 2” body.

Last edited:
I drove the Jeep to work today and had something happen that’s never happened before. I have a 25 mile commute and as I was headed out of town I hit a bump going about 35 and my steering wheel started shaking and then progressively worse then the l entire vehicle and was forced to pull over. At this point I considering driving the 3 miles back to the house and get my daily driver but kept going and it never happened again the remaining 20miles of curvy highway with some bumpy and rough pavement areas. The steering has never shaked or had any wobble whatsoever prior. It is a manual so maybe I didn’t have my hand firmly securing the wheel at the time i hit the bump but other than that I’m not sure as it never happened again for 20+ miles. Any ideas where this random occurrence could have stemmed from?

I drove the Jeep to work today and had something happen that’s never happened before. I have a 25 mile commute and as I was headed out of town I hit a bump going about 35 and my steering wheel started shaking and then progressively worse then the l entire vehicle and was forced to pull over. At this point I considering driving the 3 miles back to the house and get my daily driver but kept going and it never happened again the remaining 20miles of curvy highway with some bumpy and rough pavement areas. The steering has never shaked or had any wobble whatsoever prior. It is a manual so maybe I didn’t have my hand firmly securing the wheel at the time i hit the bump but other than that I’m not sure as it never happened again for 20+ miles. Any ideas where this random occurrence could have stemmed from?
Wheel balance and/or worn steering components, sometimes it takes a very specific hit to trigger it - but I would address it soon. Do a dry steering test to check your steering and get your tires balanced!

Reactions: Rosco1216
Wheel balance and/or worn steering components, sometimes it takes a very specific hit to trigger it - but I would address it soon. Do a dry steering test to check your steering and get your tires balanced!
Now I do have the HD crossover steering kit and, had I been active on here before i got it, I would have seen the negative posts and not have got that route but to this point I haven’t had any problems with bumpsteer whatsoever. The tires and wheels were new and balanced in December but I will check if the weights have maybe fallen off. I did also add .5” coil spacer to front end last week which may have thrown off the axle and trackbar. I am going to do the self alignment that @Chris documented this weekend.

Reactions: Chris
The best ride quality you’re ever going to get from a TJ is going to be a combination of outboard shock mounts and a properly tuned, expensive shock like the Fox Factory Series 2.0 smooth body.

I don’t think I can ever recommend an off the shelf shock anymore after experiencing what I now have. It’s one of those things where you don’t know what you don’t know. If you took a ride in my TJ you might quickly forget that it has solid axles under it.

Agreed.

As far as priorities, I've been replacing my entire suspension one thing at a time, starting with shocks/springs. Only thing I have left to do is front control arms. My ride has improved, but it's still rough compared to most any other SUV.

Reactions: Chris
Agreed.

My ride has improved, but it's still rough compared to most any other SUV.
And it always will be, unless you consider this to be an SUV. :unsure:
p.s. I almost bought it recently for $3500, but the owner was an asshole. Even worse than me.
Suzuki Samurai.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think I can ever recommend an off the shelf shock anymore after experiencing what I now have. It’s one of those things where you don’t know what you don’t know. If you took a ride in my TJ you might quickly forget that it has solid axles under it.
lol what is this fuckery??? You can't possibly recommend 5000X shocks as a good bolt-in replacement option because tuned, outboarded shocks with a custom install are vastly superior??

That's like saying I couldn't recommend a Glock G17 to a person looking for a reliable handgun because my Wilson Combat XTAC blows it out of the water, or I couldn't recommend a DS-series Nikon b/c my D6 makes a mockery of it... Don't be that guy... ;)

The best ride quality you’re ever going to get from a TJ is going to be a combination of outboard shock mounts and a properly tuned, expensive shock like the Fox Factory Series 2.0 smooth body.

Oh you've just finally gotten spoiled now haven't you. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cool:

lol what is this fuckery??? You can't possibly recommend 5000X shocks as a good bolt-in replacement option because tuned, outboarded shocks with a custom install are vastly superior??

That's like saying I couldn't recommend a Glock G17 to a person looking for a reliable handgun because my Wilson Combat XTAC blows it out of the water, or I couldn't recommend a DS-series Nikon b/c my D6 makes a mockery of it... Don't be that guy... ;)
I thought the same thing when I read that :ROFLMAO:

BUT if I had just gotten my ride back from Blaine I'd probably be saying something to the same tune out of excitement as well

"PEASANTS! YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE THIS CLOSE TO HEAVEN!"

He needs a ride in order to be a believer
Remember when you were looking for recommendations for a good gun to start long-distance shooting and a good scope recommendation? I was giving you some options and recommendations, talking about the pros and cons of each... Should I have just said "look, after having shot my match gun and a $4600 target scope a few times, I can now only recommend that people skip the Remington/Savage and Leupold Mark IVs"?

Of course not, because that would have been a ridiculous statement to make... same applies here :) And I definitely want a ride before we move BTW...

Speaking of rides (and likely this needs to be a new thread) I'm thinking it be nice to get at least one AZ trail ride in with the LJ before we pack up and move to PA. It would have to be mild, maybe even just a scenic trail since the sliders and corner armor are backordered for 8-10 weeks still. Thinking of maybe hitting up a handful of the Sedona trails with a possible campout before it gets too god awfully hot up there. If it does get too hot, maybe Box Canyon in Wickenburg as an overnighter.

Remember when you were looking for recommendations for a good gun to start long-distance shooting and a good scope recommendation? I was giving you some options and recommendations, talking about the pros and cons of each... Should I have just said "look, after having shot my match gun and a $4600 target scope a few times, I can now only recommend that people skip the Remington/Savage and Leupold Mark IVs"?

Of course not, because that would have been a ridiculous statement to make... same applies here :) And I definitely want a ride before we move BTW...

Speaking of rides (and likely this needs to be a new thread) I'm thinking it be nice to get at least one AZ trail ride in with the LJ before we pack up and move to PA. It would have to be mild, maybe even just a scenic trail since the sliders and corner armor are backordered for 8-10 weeks still. Thinking of maybe hitting up a handful of the Sedona trails with a possible campout before it gets too god awfully hot up there. If it does get too hot, maybe Box Canyon in Wickenburg as an overnighter.

I'm always down for scenic! Sometimes I enjoy the scenic drives more than wheeling anyways, just depends on the mood.

Also, I never thought you weren't a believer, I was just following Blaine's lead ;)

The work he's done has completely transformed my rig from driving like a Jeep to driving way better than I could ever imagine any TJ driving. @starkey480 got a short but spirited ride so he may be able to comment.

It can apply after you do two things. The first is go for a ride, the second is tell me how to do that with any bolt on part. I'll wait patiently for your answer.

Reactions: D M
I'm always down for scenic! Sometimes I enjoy the scenic drives more than wheeling anyways, just depends on the mood.

Also, I never thought you weren't a believer, I was just following Blaine's lead ;)

The work he's done has completely transformed my rig from driving like a Jeep to driving way better than I could ever imagine any TJ driving. @starkey480 got a short but spirited ride so he may be able to comment.
I'm still waiting on the closure date to finalize, but looking like the end of May for that and then I have a trip to FL with the kids to see grandma. We aren't moving until the end of July, so I'm thinking end of June may be a good target for a trip up north.

I'm glad you picked up on the playful nature - I'm sure it's wicked - really looking forward to the checking it out and taking it for a spin (as well as the eventual outboard of mine post move!).