Which components affect ride quality the most and least?

lol what is this fuckery??? You can't possibly recommend 5000X shocks as a good bolt-in replacement option because tuned, outboarded shocks with a custom install are vastly superior??

That's like saying I couldn't recommend a Glock G17 to a person looking for a reliable handgun because my Wilson Combat XTAC blows it out of the water, or I couldn't recommend a DS-series Nikon b/c my D6 makes a mockery of it... Don't be that guy... ;)

I remember when I recently brought up the topic. The response was more in line with this. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
I'm still waiting on the closure date to finalize, but looking like the end of May for that and then I have a trip to FL with the kids to see grandma. We aren't moving until the end of July, so I'm thinking end of June may be a good target for a trip up north.

I'm glad you picked up on the playful nature - I'm sure it's wicked - really looking forward to the checking it out and taking it for a spin (as well as the eventual outboard of mine post move!).
You won’t be disappointed, I promise you that. Have Blaine’s guy do the tuning if possible. That guy really knows his shit.

Let me know when it gets closer so we can plan something out. I’m sure a bunch of guys on the forum would go as well. It’s cooler up north as well so I think that would work well!

I’m not usually too seriously online. I’m better at most than picking up on things. 😉

Reactions: pc1p
I remember when I recently brought up the topic. The response was more in line with this. ;)
I’m just going to keep recommending the Ranchos for people on a budget. I understand not everyone wants to spend thousands on an outboard. For those guys the Ranchos are probably fine. You don’t know what you don’t know, right?

It can apply after you do two things. The first is go for a ride, the second is tell me how to do that with any bolt on part. I'll wait patiently for your answer.
Where did I say, suggest, or insinuate that it could be done with bolt on parts?? :unsure: I won't bother waiting on your answer (as it was completely rhetorical)...

You won’t be disappointed, I promise you that. Have Blaine’s guy do the tuning if possible. That guy really knows his shit.

Let me know when it gets closer so we can plan something out. I’m sure a bunch of guys on the forum would go as well. It’s cooler up north as well so I think that would work well!

I’m not usually too seriously online. I’m better at most than picking up on things. 😉
I'm not usually too serious in general; makes for salty-ass living :)

Glad you picked up on it as easily as I figured. I hope that most of the folks who read my comments recognized that I was just giving a bit of a rustling, not questioning the work done or the outcome. I like to think that most also understand that any recommendation (or lack of recommendation as it were) - be it Jeep stuff, guns, clothes, camping gear, restaurants, tools, procedure or whatever the topic may be, should keep context in mind. It's the same reason I don't recommend 3-1/2" 10-ga shells for dove hunting or a 1/2" impact for assembling IKEA furniture :)

Now if someone were looking for a recommendation for the best possible setup, that's a different recommendation entirely (again, b/c the context is very different).

I’m just going to keep recommending the Ranchos for people on a budget. I understand not everyone wants to spend thousands on an outboard. For those guys the Ranchos are probably fine. You don’t know what you don’t know, right?
I don't even view it as a "budget" thing - unless that was specifically asked about. Strictly from a performance standpoint, unless someone is pushing the rig to the limits of where a set of 5000x shocks could perform - or if a person's preferences warrant something else - that's when I would expect recommendations to once again keep context in mind and adjust accordingly. Going back to my example before about the long-range rifle stuff, it's exactly why I was asking follow-up questions like would you be competing? Was budget a concern? etc.

Speaking of which, I know you bought some toys - you ever find a long-range rifle?? I still need to sight in my AAC-SD - could be a good wheeling + shooting outing. I have like 10,000 rounds of 22LR and haven't even shot my 19D suppressor yet :(

You are more than allowed to recommend it with qualifications like I did. Just don't be calling the 5000x mushy, even though it is. 🤫

Reactions: Chris
Not allowed to call a spade a spade (and still offer it as a suggestion), am I right? ;)
Jokes aside we forgot to drive each other’s rigs. Chris’s rig is in a different league as far as driving fast over rough stuff goes. I think you would be surprised to see how little body roll my Jeep has though even with the ranchos. They no longer feel mushy on the slightest where cornering is concerned

I wish I could go for a ride with a TJ with an outboard and custom tuned shocks. Just out of curiosity.

For me Ranchos for now! haha
Picture this. You’re driving down the road at 50 mph. Street psi tires. Swerve off the road onto pothole laden dirt and you feel absolutely no difference.

The load range D tires aren’t doing you any favors.

Oh and the ride issue is probably stiff springs..................................😂

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Picture this. You’re driving down the road at 50 mph. Street psi tires. Swerve off the road onto pothole laden dirt and you feel absolutely no difference.
That could also mean it drives really bad on the street. Sounds like my old RC shocks. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: starkey480
Remember when you were looking for recommendations for a good gun to start long-distance shooting and a good scope recommendation? I was giving you some options and recommendations, talking about the pros and cons of each... Should I have just said "look, after having shot my match gun and a $4600 target scope a few times, I can now only recommend that people skip the Remington/Savage and Leupold Mark IVs"?

Of course not, because that would have been a ridiculous statement to make... same applies here :) And I definitely want a ride before we move BTW...

Speaking of rides (and likely this needs to be a new thread) I'm thinking it be nice to get at least one AZ trail ride in with the LJ before we pack up and move to PA. It would have to be mild, maybe even just a scenic trail since the sliders and corner armor are backordered for 8-10 weeks still. Thinking of maybe hitting up a handful of the Sedona trails with a possible campout before it gets too god awfully hot up there. If it does get too hot, maybe Box Canyon in Wickenburg as an overnighter.
Chicken or the egg kinda question, does accuracy start here or end here?

001(146).jpg

And are outboarded and tuned guys from Kali welcome to the Sedona runs?

Well..this escalated quickly.

I got it aligned last night using the “how to” guides and it was very simple. It has a toe in for just over 3/4” prior. Steering wheel is perfectly centered now and have my toe in at 1/8”.

After i installed the addition front coil spacer, it moved my axle out of center an addition 3/8” so now my driver side sticks out 3/4” further than passenger. My rear is exactly 3/4” to the passenger side and I’ve had a relocation bracket for the track bar but haven’t gotten around to getting that axle bolt broken free to install it.

I also double checked everything up front to make sure no steering components, control arms, or track bar was lose. Everything was tight. So that wobble that happened yesterday doesn’t seem to be caused my anything loose up front.
E7600FF4-7FB5-40CE-A35F-6470CA0C9D6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Chicken or the egg kinda question, does accuracy start here or end here?

And are outboarded and tuned guys from Kali welcome to the Sedona runs?
Not sure what you're point to (muzzle, barrel or chrono), but accuracy ends when the bullet hits what it was (hopefully) aimed at :)

And the more the merry on a Sedona run (I'm going to start a new thread for it!)

Not possible for that to happen. I'm completely over trying to help anyone on here with shocks after the last one. I explained clearly and fully that it was a favor. I don't make a dime and in fact I lose money doing it. By the time I pay my guy to drop them off and pack them up, I've got at least 150 bucks in time over what was covered. Not to mention that I've got a few hours on the phone, messages, etc. that don't matter. That still wasn't enough. Never again.

• Sad
Reactions: taylormade73