Which is the better Jeep?

So what is the main downfall of the 4cyl and reason they made a 4cyl? we only got the 6 in oz so I don't know much about them.
I have a 4cyl. Geared with 5.13s and 35” tires. I can run 65-75 down the flat freeway. Add in much of any hill and forget it. Climbing the highway to the mountains is a high revving ordeal. I don’t mind it too much as I live in a rural area with out much traffic. But given the choice to do over I would go with a 6cyl.

Which is the better jeep?
2001 6 cylinder with 157K or
a 2006 4 cylinder with 87K
both are in good condition and no rust
The 01 with the 6 banger for the win. Just check for the common cracked head issue in those years, 00-02.
Remember they never installed a 4.0 inline 6 in a minivan or Plymouth Breeze.:cool:
Best of luck in your Jeep search Mike.(y)

13000, is it worth it?
I paid $10500 for my 04 Rubicon with 132k on it. It is a 4.0 with a 5 speed. I picked up an 03 SE w/2.4 and automatic with 250k on it for $1500.00 the 03 is fun for around town but no fun on the express way...very anemic, the rubicon is my DD. Get the 01 but i would try to negotiate that price down.

Wrangler prices like everything else is super inflated right now. If you can hold off for a couple more months I bet prices drop a lot.

Reactions: Jamison C
Just south of you in Northern CA i would say $13k is an ok price, I paid less for my '01 with the same mileage but I didnt get a hard top with mine. If the hard top is something you think you want, then I would say $13k is an ok price. The jeep is in my fav color and looks to be in good shape, probably well taken care of by the owner. I found out when it comes to jeeps the prices are all over the place usually higher than I would think. If its in good shape, no rust and you like it then its probably a good jeep and price for you. I dont think i saw where you will be driving the most, on the highway as a DD or off road mostly, My jeep is a i6 but if your goiing to do mostly off roading maybe the 4 cylinder might work out ok, depending on the price.

Wrangler prices like everything else is super inflated right now. If you can hold off for a couple more months I bet prices drop a lot.
I doubt anything will go back to how it was with used 4x4 prices, its happened all over the world because people cant or are no longer willing to travel so they are enjoying what's on their own doorstep which has caused supply and demand over pricing of all used vehicles especially those with any recreational function or features!
In Australia almost every wagon/van/4x4 has an awning and roof basket or a RTtent on their DD,s.

Last edited:
I paid $10500 for my 04 Rubicon with 132k on it. It is a 4.0 with a 5 speed. I picked up an 03 SE w/2.4 and automatic with 250k on it for $1500.00 the 03 is fun for around town but no fun on the express way...very anemic, the rubicon is my DD. Get the 01 but i would try to negotiate that price down.
He won't move on price. Is it normal that he'd want cash instead of a bank guaranteed check?

IMHO these threads never end well for the potential buyer. Aside from the differing opinions, we can tell you all you want about a Jeep but the only way to really learn what to look for is to own one and learn the quirks by associating what’s being said here. There are people that have been signed up on this forum for months trying to score Jeeps in the FS sections or asking about a dozen different ones. Have a budget too and stick with it because the costs never end at the time of purchase. Never.

You’ll know when you find the right Jeep. It’s cheesy to say but it’s honestly the only consistent thing there is between all Jeeps. You see that ad and look at the Jeep and know it’s just right for you. You don’t even need to ask.

All that to say the 01 looks nice and well kept. It’s a 60th anniversary edition too with the Sahara flares and rocker panels. Check engine oil and coolant quality. That will tell you a lot about engine maintenance. 13k is a tad higher than I would pay, but as mentioned by many above Jeep prices are nuts right now. I’d try to wave some cash in the 10-11k range at the seller.

Entry price is high these days. But for something that clean, if you want it and are happy with the color and how it is as-is, (Im saying don't settle but consider they're unmolested) then jump on it.

Bring 12k, see if he takes it, but have that extra G in your back pocket, because that is a nice 01 indeed!

Reactions: TheBoogieman