Which power steering pump?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’m pretty sure that the noise coming from my engine area and radiating down through the engine is coming from my power steering pump.
Where should I buy and which pump for a 97 Jeep Wrangler TJ ?
thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0995.MOV
    10.1 MB
It's Mopar p/n 52087871. It's officially discontinued but there are likely some out there somewhere. I'd cross my fingers and Google it.

Mopar also has a direct rebuilt version, p/n R2087871AD. I'd try to find that before I'd buy a new off-brand. These are definitely out there, though they're not cheap.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
It's Mopar p/n 52087871. It's officially discontinued but there are likely some out there somewhere. I'd cross my fingers and Google it.

Mopar also has a direct rebuilt version, p/n R2087871AD. I'd try to find that before I'd buy a new off-brand. These are definitely out there, though they're not cheap.
Thanks 👍

So I have a pulley removal tool. I can not get the pulley off of the old power steering pump. Is that pretty typical???

It was for me, changed my pump out earlier this summer. Finally got it off but it was a *itch! I thought for sure I was going to break the pulley but I didn’t, it is tough!

Are you saying you would not buy another pulley to put on the new pump ? Even if you can’t get the old pulley off ?
No I didn't say that, I said I don't know a good way to remove the old pulley and I wouldn't try to remove another unless I learned the secret. If there is a secret that is.

Don't spend more than $20 of time on it, that's what they cost. I'd back the bolt out a bit until it is proud of the pulley, hold the pulley in one hand and with a hammer wack the bolt. The impact will free the pulley even though the pulley is just held in your hand.

Yeah me too, that pulley is a complete bitch to remove and I would not try another. @mrblaine what's the secret?
Depends on the pulley. The composite versions seem to be about 50/50 as to whether you can get them off with the correct clam shell puller. Sometime the groove breaks, sometimes it doesn't. We've had a few PSC versions get stuck and peel off the groove. We just sent those back and had them get the rest of the bits off.

Don't spend more than $20 of time on it, that's what they cost. I'd back the bolt out a bit until it is proud of the pulley, hold the pulley in one hand and with a hammer wack the bolt. The impact will free the pulley even though the pulley is just held in your hand.
Good way to ruin a pump. They should only have the pulleys removed with the correct puller that reacts only against the shaft. There is a swash plate on both sides of the ring and rotor that really doesn't respond well to being smacked.

The pump is bad, that's why I suggested this route. Having done it at the junkyard many times I've never had an issue. Be careful buying pumps at the yard if you see the pulley missing. I have broken a few jamming a screwdriver in the holes to break the bolt free but after that it hasn't been an issue, guess I got all the easy ones.

No I didn't say that, I said I don't know a good way to remove the old pulley and I wouldn't try to remove another unless I learned the secret. If there is a secret that is.
Oh ok. I’m going to try another removal tool and probably pick up another pulley too
Depends on the tool. Which one are you using?
i bought one from O’Reillys. And it tends to slip ,so I picked up the rental tool that has the removal and install kit. It should serve me better.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Except it won't work.
Sheesh, I should have quoted the whole post eh?

Good way to ruin a pump. They should only have the pulleys removed with the correct puller that reacts only against the shaft. There is a swash plate on both sides of the ring and rotor that really doesn't respond well to being smacked.
Removing a pulley from a busted pump, seems like a very useful tip.

Is that better? You don't need to worry about smacking a dead horse, it dead.

Sheesh, I should have quoted the whole post eh?

Removing a pulley from a busted pump, seems like a very useful tip.

Is that better? You don't need to worry about smacking a dead horse, it dead.
Doesn't matter, you can't smack one off with a hammer without ruining the pulley.

Reactions: pagrey