Which power steering pump?

Ok got the new pulley on , pump reinstalled , belt on and ready for a trail start.
I’m supposed to use ATF+4 right ?
should I leave the cap open a little so air (if any) can bleed off ??

Ok got the new pulley on , pump reinstalled , belt on and ready for a trail start.
I’m supposed to use ATF+4 right ?
should I leave the cap open a little so air (if any) can bleed off ??
Don't start it without cycling the front tires back and forth a bunch of times on jack stands to get the air out if any is present. Good way to smoke a pump. Some use ATF+4, some use power steering fluid.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Don't start it without cycling the front tires back and forth a bunch of times on jack stands to get the air out if any is present. Good way to smoke a pump. Some use ATF+4, some use power steering fluid.
Thanks. Can they be added together or should I flush the lines before adding fluid ?

You will not have a problem mixing Mopar Power Steering fluid and ATF+4
Here my post from a few years back on that very subject.

In my experience you will be perfectly fine with ATF+4.
This is the experience I base this statement on.

I was working at Chrysler’s Desert Proving Grounds when the switch was being made to use ATF+4 all in power steering systems. We ran full durability tests using ATF+4 in the power steering systems on a number of vehicles that previously called for Mopar Power Steering fluid. For example, I remember 6 mini vans that were running power train durability.
2 vans used the then spec’d Mopar Power Steering fluid, two vans used ATF+4, and the remaining two used a 50/50 mix of the two fluids. The 50/50 test was to simulate the wrong fluid being used to top off a system. There were no issues with ANY of the vehicles. I don’t remember if temps were taken. But I know that oil samples were pulled post test and that the steering pumps and gears were returned to the proper departments for tear down.

There was a similar test run on vehicles with recirculating ball steering boxes and I never heard that there was a problem during or post test.

I personally changed my 2001 Dakota over to ATF+4 and could notice a reduction in pump noise. I had the ATF+4 in my system for well over 100K miles.

Jerry is correct in that we need to pay attention to what fluids were spec’d for our particular year vehicle. But in this case I wouldn’t worry about your use of ATF+4.

You will not have a problem mixing Mopar Power Steering fluid and ATF+4
Here my post from a few years back on that very subject.

In my experience you will be perfectly fine with ATF+4.
This is the experience I base this statement on.

I was working at Chrysler’s Desert Proving Grounds when the switch was being made to use ATF+4 all in power steering systems. We ran full durability tests using ATF+4 in the power steering systems on a number of vehicles that previously called for Mopar Power Steering fluid. For example, I remember 6 mini vans that were running power train durability.
2 vans used the then spec’d Mopar Power Steering fluid, two vans used ATF+4, and the remaining two used a 50/50 mix of the two fluids. The 50/50 test was to simulate the wrong fluid being used to top off a system. There were no issues with ANY of the vehicles. I don’t remember if temps were taken. But I know that oil samples were pulled post test and that the steering pumps and gears were returned to the proper departments for tear down.

There was a similar test run on vehicles with recirculating ball steering boxes and I never heard that there was a problem during or post test.

I personally changed my 2001 Dakota over to ATF+4 and could notice a reduction in pump noise. I had the ATF+4 in my system for well over 100K miles.

Jerry is correct in that we need to pay attention to what fluids were spec’d for our particular year vehicle. But in this case I wouldn’t worry about your use of ATF+4.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: jgaz
Just checked out my owners manual and found this.

image.jpg

Yup. Owners manual was written before the switch.

Thats what the above test I posted about was designed to address.
ATF+4 is a superior fluid in my experience and you will have NO issue replacing the originally spec’d fluid with ATF+4

That being said, run whatever makes you comfortable

Well hope I didn’t make a mistake, but I put power steering fluid in. I did flush the system and bled the air.
it’s running perfect !!
hopefully it will be fine.

Reactions: Bud125
That is exactly right!
Oh I know, I came across a very detailed article once explaining how the most awesome ATF+4 came to be and all the issues they were trying to resolve in those transmissions. The ATF+4 was highly successful in saving them millions in transmission warranties.

Reactions: jgaz
Oh I know, I came across a very detailed article once explaining how the most awesome ATF+4 came to be and all the issues they were trying to resolve in those transmissions. The ATF+4 was highly successful in saving them millions in transmission warranties.
Did the article say how long it took to convince the Daimler dumb asses to allow the fluid to be used due to the increased cost per vehicle?

Did the article say how long it took to convince the Daimler dumb asses to allow the fluid to be used due to the increased cost per vehicle?
I don't recall. It was many years ago and the main focus was all the issues those transmissions had and how nicely a simple fluid solved all of them. It is not your average transmission fluid. If I recall, it is mostly synthetic with some very trick formulation to make it work. Also why it doesn't bother me to use the Walmart version. If it says ATF+4, it has to follow that spec.

It's Mopar p/n 52087871. It's officially discontinued but there are likely some out there somewhere. I'd cross my fingers and Google it.

Mopar also has a direct rebuilt version, p/n R2087871AD. I'd try to find that before I'd buy a new off-brand. These are definitely out there, though they're not cheap.
Jerry, Because out of Necessity, I went to o’Reillys and gave them the rebuilt # R2087871AD, And got their pump.
I put Power steering fluid in. (If you think I should change that out for ATF+4 let me know)
I can’t believe how that sound radiated throughout the engine and the body of the jeep. I even thought it was in the oil pan at one time.

Jerry, Because out of Necessity, I went to o’Reillys and gave them the rebuilt # R2087871AD, And got their pump.
I put Power steering fluid in. (If you think I should change that out for ATF+4 let me know)
I can’t believe how that sound radiated throughout the engine and the body of the jeep. I even thought it was in the oil pan at one time.
If it lasted this long using power steering fluid, how much longer do you expect to get out of one using ATF+4?

Swap if you want, but I would just wait for the next time you flush the system.

I have a rebuilt cardone pump in my 97 after My stock one blew after 230k miles. Cardone is pretty trash but tj is my daily so I made an exception, I would go with a better one but if you are in an emergency cardone is like $60 at the local auto parts store. As for fluid im pretty sure <2003 uses ATF and everything else uses PS fluid. Theres a thread here somewhere where people discussed the difference.