Which Revolution gears do I need?

Robert Bauer

Question, which revolution gears do I need? (I'd like to buy the gears right the first time)... On the website it says under the toyo bearings section if you have Dana 44 rear with 3.73 gears won't need a new carrier. It says if you have 3.55 or lower you will need a new carrier. It says gear is thick to compensate.
Sooo if I'm reading the website right, if I go to 5.13 gears I need a new carrier since the 5.13 gear is not thick. But if I get the 4.88 thick gears I don't need a carrier.

But if I go to the timken side theres no mention of thick gears or needing a carrier..
so thats question 1.
Question 2 is should I get a locker for when I finish creating my awesome jeep and actually take it 4 wheelin? If so whats an affordable and decent locker to blow the budget again?
Thanks Gentlemen

Yeah, true to do it all at the same time, if you have the $$$. What locker you want is up to personal preference. Detroit (not selectable) is good, ARB (air selectable) and Eaton-E (electric selectable) are good. You can look at the nuances @Boinked linked you to... in order to solve your particular needs.

1. Installing a locker at the same time as new gears will save money vs. adding a locker later.

2. If one is having a gear shop install the gears one should have the gear shop source and supply the gears. No shop with any sense will warranty the labor on customer supplied parts or take responsibility if the wrong parts are ordered by the customer. Most good gear shops will refuse to install customer supplied parts altogether.

1. Installing a locker at the same time as new gears will save money vs. adding a locker later.

2. If one is having a gear shop install the gears one should have the gear shop source and supply the gears. No shop with any sense will warranty the labor on customer supplied parts or take responsibility if the wrong parts are ordered by the customer. Most good gear shops will refuse to install customer supplied parts altogether.

Unless said shop doesn't deal with Revolution gears and suggest something else. If that happens, go to another shop.

Regarding your gear selection, what are the details on the vehicle you're wanting to swap @Robert Bauer ?

Unless said shop doesn't deal with Revolution gears and suggest something else. If that happens, go to another shop.

There is no question that Revolution Gear & Axle imports and sells quality gears (mfg. by Circle K in Korea), but despite RG&A's popularity on the Internet forums there is no reason to avoid gear sets from other recognized brand names.

Don't get me wrong, I have Revolution 5.38 gears in my jeep. However, if the best gear installers in my area didn't do business with Revolution but instead had long term relationships with other major suppliers and warrantied those other products and the labor to install them, I would have gone with one of those brands rather than blindly insist on Revolution. Rest assured that a reputable gear shop won't sell inferior products because the warranty claims that result will cost them money. Also, it is very rare for a gear set from a well known manufacturer to fail from a manufacturing defect, particularly in relation to the number of failures that result from improper installation and/or poor break-in practices.

Bottom line: It is better to pick the best gear installer you can find and use the gears he or she recommends than to insist upon a particular brand because someone on the Internet that you have never met and who won't be around to help you if something goes wrong thought it was "best."

Reactions: Chris
Question, which revolution gears do I need? (I'd like to buy the gears right the first time)... On the website it says under the toyo bearings section if you have Dana 44 rear with 3.73 gears won't need a new carrier. It says if you have 3.55 or lower you will need a new carrier. It says gear is thick to compensate.
Sooo if I'm reading the website right, if I go to 5.13 gears I need a new carrier since the 5.13 gear is not thick. But if I get the 4.88 thick gears I don't need a carrier.

I'm looking into regearing also, but my understanding is different than yours. The "carrier break" determines if you need a new carrier. I have a LJ that came with 3.73. gears, Dana 30 in the front and 44 in the rear.

From my research on a Dana 30, 3.73 and up use the same carrier. So if you wanted to regear to a 5.13, your front carrier would be fine. With the Dana 44, the carrier break is 3.92 and up. If you currently have 3.73 and want to go to 5.13, you either get a different carrier, or thicker gears. Revolution lists a 5.13 for the Dana 30, and 5.13 thick for the Dana 44. I don't know about other manufacturers.

This link has a good explanation of carrier break.

http://www.differentials.com/technical-help-2/carrier-breaks/

being a newbie that all sounds good. getting arb lockers on the rear and having a shop check it out first since it is used to make sure what is in there first and then order the right stuff; they will also put the lockers in.