Which ring and pinion gear set and lockers should I buy?

Thatguy

TJ Enthusiast
Ok I know this has been addressed a million and 2 times before, but just bear with me and give me some advice. First let me give you the low down

1) Jeep will be used for daily driving and some light wheeling - emphasis on light
2) 4.0 w/auto trans and stock 30/35axles with 3.08's
3) Has 33's on it now, maybe 35's in the future, maybe just keep 33s on it forever
4) This is a budget Jeep, no need to get crazy expensive, will upgrade things as needed. So dont need to get the best of the best, still want quality thou.
5) I really dont see this Jeep going on difficult trails, I wont be seeking them out, just want to be prepared for the worst.

Moving out to CO in the next few months, and the way the Jeep sits now it will never make it up anything, its a pooch. Was told to consider 4.56s if I stay with 33s, would be just OK with 35s. If I was definitely going to put 35s on, then go with 4.88s. Im fine with further opinions on that.

Asking what brand of gears I should consider and what I should definitely stay away from. Spicer/Yukon/USA/other ??

Now I know everyone with say to put a locker in there at the same time. Im open to that. Again, this will be a daily driver for the most part, so still want it road friendly. Air lockers or something else ??

Im at your mercy because I dont know anything about what I should get.

I wont be installing the gears myself, I have a friend who has been a GM mechanic for 30yrs. Im a quick learner, but really dont want to mess with this on my own

Revolution is widely regarded as one of the best for gears. I’ve used them on both my TJs. I would use their gears with ARB or Eaton e-lockers personally.

From what you describe with respect to off road driving you'll be fine on 33" tires. You'd probably be fine on 31" tires. Light off road doesn't require lockers. Wheel your Jeep for awhile, like for a few years and see what you need. You'll know if you need gears or lockers. Most people that ask questions like yours wheel on street tire pressures, airing down will make more of a difference than any of these mods. If you don't have one then get a compressor and air down when you hit the dirt before you spend money on this stuff.

Reactions: Thatguy
Super 35 kit and 4.56’s would be a great upgrade for your 3 speed auto and Dana 35. Easily handle 35’s and never worry about breaking the rear axle.

Reactions: Thatguy
Your stock Dana 35 is not strong enough for 35's you'll need to install a Super 35 kit if you want to run 35's.

Don't buy the gears and parts on your own to give to the installing shop. That you provided the parts gives them an out if the installation does not go well. They'll blame the parts you provided and the gear & parts dealer will blame the installer who typically is at fault.

If you will be having a shop install the gears, have them provide ALL of the parts. That way the shop's warranty will cover everything, parts and labor.

Revolution Gear would be my first choice for the gears but don't insist on that brand if the installing shop prefers another brand. Any popular brand of gear like Revolution, Yukon, Genuine Gear, etc. is fine when set up properly.

I would absolutely insist they fill the axles with only a conventional gear lube. Heat is the enemy of new gears and they'll run substantially cooler when lubricated with a conventional, not synthetic, gear lube. Really.

Your stock Dana 35 is not strong enough for 35's you'll need to install a Super 35 kit if you want to run 35's.

Don't buy the gears and parts on your own to give to the installing shop. That you provided the parts gives them an out if the installation does not go well. They'll blame the parts you provided and the gear & parts dealer will blame the installer who typically is at fault.

If you will be having a shop install the gears, have them provide ALL of the parts. That way the shop's warranty will cover everything, parts and labor.

Revolution Gear would be my first choice for the gears but don't insist on that brand if the installing shop prefers another brand. Any popular brand of gear like Revolution, Yukon, Genuine Gear, etc. is fine when set up properly.

I would absolutely insist they fill the axles with only a conventional gear lube. Heat is the enemy of new gears and they'll run substantially cooler when lubricated with a conventional, not synthetic, gear lube. Really.
My bud has been a GM mech for 30+ years, has a well equipped home shop, will be doing all the work there. He has quite a bit of experience building rear ends for local drag cars and stock cars. So i do trust that he will be able to install everything fine. I have done enuf research to learn to break everything in properly.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My bud has been a GM mech for 30+ years, has a well equipped home shop, will be doing all the work there. He has quite a bit of experience building rear ends for local drag cars and stock cars. So i do trust that he will be able to install everything fine. I have done enuf research to learn to break everything in properly.
From what you describe with respect to off road driving you'll be fine on 33" tires. You'd probably be fine on 31" tires. Light off road doesn't require lockers. Wheel your Jeep for awhile, like for a few years and see what you need. You'll know if you need gears or lockers. Most people that ask questions like yours wheel on street tire pressures, airing down will make more of a difference than any of these mods. If you don't have one then get a compressor and air down when you hit the dirt before you spend money on this stuff.
My TJ is really lethargic with the stock 3.08 gearing and 33s. Tires are pretty fresh, so not really interested in downsizing to a smaller diameter. And with where i am moving to in CO, there will be quite a bit of driving thru elevations over mountain passes. Jeep would really struggle. I feel its a very necessary step for the type of road driving i will be asking of it. If i were only doing some low grade wheeling, then i wouldnt bother and just enjoy it to its limited abilities.

Does anyone have an opinion with Yukon Products ??

Semi local outlet handles them, complete kit looks to come with everything i think i need.

i have not researched a Revolution kit yet.

And what about the Eaton Detroit Trutrac locker ?? Good or bad or ??

Yukon Gears are fine and a good brand but their point of origin varies. All RGA gears come from Circle K in S. Korea the current acknowledged best aftermarket R&P manufacturer. Some of Yukon's do too but not all.

The Eaton Detroit Truetrac is not a locker, it's a limited slip differential... big difference. Lockers are for offroading on tougher trails, LSDs are for icy/slick roads or easier offroad trails.

Yukon Gears are fine and a good brand but their point of origin varies. All RGA gears come from Circle K in S. Korea the current acknowledged best aftermarket R&P manufacturer. Some of Yukon's do too but not all.

The Eaton Detroit Truetrac is not a locker, its a limited slip differential... big difference. Lockers are for offroading on tougher trails, LSDs are for icy/slick roads or easier offroad trails.
Thank You !! This stuff is totally out of my wheel house

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Colorado guy here. 3k rpm at 75mph is a nice place to be. Gear to get that. Commit to a tire size and build for it.

33s will get you most places out here. 35s will take you to most of the rest. Don't do anything until you get out, explore and figure out what you really want.

Stock could have easily been with us earlier today at 13,000ft.
20200712_131221.jpg
20200712_132404.jpg

20200712_132250.jpg

Colorado guy here. 3k rpm at 75mph is a nice place to be. Gear to get that. Commit to a tire size and build for it.

33s will get you most places out here. 35s will take you to most of the rest. Don't do anything until you get out, explore and figure out what you really want.

Stock could have easily been with us earlier today at 13,000ft.
View attachment 176386View attachment 176387
View attachment 176388
Id like to have the work done before i move. 1) because i know and trust my friend who is doing the work 2) he’s more affordable than someone i dont know 3) Jeep is a slug and it needs to change

Reactions: ARawls88
Id like to have the work done before i move. 1) because i know and trust my friend who is doing the work 2) he’s more affordable than someone i dont know 3) Jeep is a slug and it needs to change

If you will stop at 33s, gear for those. If 35s are a real possibility in the near-ish future, gear for that.

If you will stop at 33s, gear for those. If 35s are a real possibility in the near-ish future, gear for that.
35s wouldnt be in the nearish future. I’ll get my feet wet with the 33s setup, probably wont need any more for what i plan on doing. I do like the look of 35s better, but probably wont invest in all the upgrades to do so for quite a while

35s wouldnt be in the nearish future. I’ll get my feet wet with the 33s setup, probably wont need any more for what i plan on doing. I do like the look of 35s better, but probably wont invest in all the upgrades to do so for quite a while

My build for 35s started with 33s about 6 years ago. If you are patient and can develop a long term plan, it's a good way to go because it gives you time to figure things out.