Which shocks to buy?

Only reason I have Bilstein 5100 is because that is what the PO had on it when I bought it. They are definitely the stiffest shock I've driven but seem somewhat broken in. I also have a 2008 Ford Ranger FX4 which came with Rancho 5000s and they finally blew and I replaced my front shocks with Bilstein 4600 and rear shocks with Fox 2.0. When the 5100s are close to done on the TJ, ill switch them out.

I hope you the best shock experience. 😉

• Love
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I hope you the best shock experience. 😉

He seems easy to please. He LOVES the stiffest shocks he's ever had. :unsure:
p.s. I love mrblaine's quote from 2015 on another forum. Honesty these days is rare.

"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on some Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks for the front and back myself.
They're rated between 0-2" lift, of which I'm going to soon.
Looking at $309 per shock, is this about right or do you see any issues or other considerations I should account for in my thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Tray

He seems easy to please. He LOVES the stiffest shocks he's ever had. :unsure:
p.s. I love mrblaine's quote from 2015 on another forum. Honesty these days is rare.

"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me."

I would be intrigued to try something other than my 5100's. I don't hate the ride, but it does seem somewhat firm.

Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on some Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks for the front and back myself.
They're rated between 0-2" lift, of which I'm going to soon.
Looking at $309 per shock, is this about right or do you see any issues or other considerations I should account for in my thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Tray

I have the 2.0 w/ reservoir very nice ride. Before that I had rancho, they were fine at the time, much better than the RC the PO had on.

Just that those shocks seem very expensive for a Jeep with a modest build like yours.

Thank's for replying Jerry, and your're right, so absolutely way over, I just wanna get one the best shocks I can afford, the resevoire just looks cool too.
After the regear I found I could easily get away with a modest ~2" lift also.
Plan on going with Moog springs, my Jeep needs both real bad.
Others upgrades needed under this 25 yo girl are coming too next.
Looks pretty simple to do, so I'll do it myself (probably?)
Any advice is appreciated, Jerry
Thanks

Reactions: Jerry Bransford