Which state?

I hear you, and I agree as well. I just want the gov't off my back, and out of my pocket! There's good and bad everywhere, you have to find the balance that works for you. For myself, I consider both the major parties 1/3rd right, and 2/3rds wrong, and don't care for the "total package" either one of them promulgates - they're both parties of slavery as far as I'm concerned. I'd say I'm Libertarian more than anything else - believing first of all in personal freedom, but OTOH, the party of that name has tilted left like everything else, and like the other two, is 1/3rd right, 2/3rds wrong. As "Treebeard" famously said, ""I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side..."

Most people really aren't interested in freedom, they just want fair masters that agree with them.
On a political basis you scare me more than anyone.

Some states have nice people, Idaho I found has good people. Big difference between the two. I lived out in a remote ranching area. The people there had your back if you earned their trust. They also held you accountable if you stepped out of line. One of my neighbors owed another some money and did not pay in time. The person owed the money went over and took the man's haying equipment. Told him, this is mine now, we are even. No courts, lawyers or shouting. The area was tamed by the Mormons who were migrating. Rugged trustworthy bunch. They still have spirit out there not often seen anymore. I miss it. Too many slimy bastards in Florida.

Some states have nice people, Idaho I found has good people. Big difference between the two. I lived out in a remote ranching area. The people there had your back if you earned their trust. They also held you accountable if you stepped out of line. One of my neighbors owed another some money and did not pay in time. The person owed the money went over and took the man's haying equipment. Told him, this is mine now, we are even. No courts, lawyers or shouting. The area was tamed by the Mormons who were migrating. Rugged trustworthy bunch. They still have spirit out there not often seen anymore. I miss it. Too many slimy bastards in Florida.

Solid way to live. Way it ought to be IMHO.

Reactions: Blondie70
I don't see any mid West suggestions? I like Michigan, as long as you stay out of the Detroit-metro area. You can be as remote as you want if you head north, or we have a pretty good thing going here on the SW Lakeshore if you're looking for a metro area. For instance,. My folks have about 30 acres, on a river, and they are less than 1/2 hour from downtown GR. Cost them a little over 400k... So it's a lot of money, but nothing like property value in Cali or Oregon.

Taxes aren't bad, but also not great. We have a sales tax (6%) and an income tax (4.25% flat). Property taxes vary based on where you live, but aren't horrible, I paid about 3500 a year for my modest house and City lot (which would probably sell for about 250,000 in today's market - 1850 sq ft, 3bed, 2 bath).

We're pretty conservative here too, politically. Most of Michigan is, aside from the I-94 corridor (connects Chicago with Detroit) and then the five or so counties that makes up the Detroit area. Currently governess excepted, there isn't a lot of negative politics here.

If you're a hunter gatherer type, lots of fishing and hunting opportunity here. White tail, elk (not many), bear, small game, turkey, duck, geese, etc. Coyotes are a nuscience here and the DNR had pretty much issued a shot on site order. Only need your base (small game) license for 15 bucks)

Finally... Michigan has water. Lots of water. You're never more than about a half hour from a decent lake or River for recreation. Our great lake beaches are literally some of the best in the world. Think Cancun, without the saltwater. Yes, it's than nice. This is the sleeping bear national Lakeshore

20180526_122740.jpg

So... The negatives? Winter and the weird weather the great lakes bring (though that is largely regional). In the winter they use salt to keep the roads clear... And we all know what that does to a vehicle. Then they other thing about winter is the cloud cover. You'll have stretches of days without seeing the sun... Like 20 days in a row. It can wear on you. But we truly do have four seasons here and they are all about 3 months long.

Agreed, I’m more libertarian as well, but stopped really saying it as most people just didn’t get it and I got tired of the picture being painted the way it is...but you are right my friend, the problem with politics, the liars and thieves in office. 👍
Libertarians tend to be hated by both sides, mainly because we don't buy into the "whole package" promulgated by either. As I said earlier, "Most people really aren't interested in freedom, they just want fair masters (that agree with them)." Paraphrased from somebody smarter than I.

I live in a rural county in Texas, and that is the key - being in a rural, laid back county. As for Texas, there's no state income tax, I paid less than $1000 in property taxes last year and have a home on 2.5 acres. Worked for local government and am now retired.

The major cities in Texas are crazy, I grew up in Dallas and Fort Worth and wouldn't live in either again, but I am only an hour or so away so I can visit the stores and restaurants when I want. The county I live in has a population of around 60K, nice and laid back. Biggest traffic jams we see around here are near the high school stadiums for Friday night football.

And there is an OHV park 15 minutes away and plenty of lakes around, too.

Grew up in Wyoming. Very republican, gun-toting, small towns, wide open spaces, and people generally stick to themselves. Farming, ranching, or Oil & Gas are the typical markets. Plenty of outdoor recreation, and if you're a fly fisherman than it might as well be heaven. We plan on moving back someday, both my wife and I have family there still. Its a gorgeous state and as mentioned, it has more of a "live and let live" type of mentality there.

Live in Colorado now. Its expensive, property is hard to buy, and the population wont stop growing. But the weather is absolutely gorgeous, outdoor recreation is endless, entertainment (pro sports, concerts, nightlife, etc.) is endless, and we both have a ton of friends here. We aren't leaving any time soon.

Grew up in Wyoming. Very republican, gun-toting, small towns, wide open spaces, and people generally stick to themselves. Farming, ranching, or Oil & Gas are the typical markets. Plenty of outdoor recreation, and if you're a fly fisherman than it might as well be heaven. We plan on moving back someday, both my wife and I have family there still. Its a gorgeous state and as mentioned, it has more of a "live and let live" type of mentality there.
Wyoming is #2 on my list of retirement destinations, with Idaho being in the top spot.

Wyoming is #2 on my list of retirement destinations, with Idaho being in the top spot.

I've spent a lot of time in and around Boise for work, that's always been one of my favorite towns. It's incredibly clean, tons of stuff to do with it's college-town nature, and it doesn't take long at all to get out in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Squatch
I second moving to Texas. We love, and respect our LEO’s, and as long as you stay away from the bigger cities we have a place for you and your family. You can chose your preferred climate zone as long as you like the heat about three quarters of the year. Outdoor adventures are in every direction including up!

Texas is going to shit too. Illegal immigrants from the south and boat loads of Californians/Oregonians and Washingtonians realizing how cheap houses and cost of living (rural is better for sure). Give it a decade and the state will go blue. 2016 was close. Texas gun laws aren't the most lenient as well. My vote would be for East Tennessee near the Smokies. Growing up in Oregon, it is very similar. People are friendly and is a beautiful place to live.

Reactions: Rick Flair