Which Tires Would Be Best?

They are RWL or white letter but I'm sure the others are great too.

Ok, I do see that they are RWL on the actual sticker of that is shown in the pics, it was just the description in the title doesn't say RWL. I see the description down below say's that too.

Thanks.!! :D

I know when I was looking for tires for my old jk treadwright made some awesome recaps with what they call a kedge grip (ground up nutshells in the rubber compound that made them absolutely grab on wet surfaces) you may give that a try.

Just throwing it out there. If you are truly concerned with the handling performance of the tire, don't let a few hundred bucks dissuade you. A jeep is a piss poor highway handling vehicle to begin with. I am not sure if any other vehicles have a lower crash rating (they might but they would have to be a hazard on the street :cool:). Tires go a long way toward improving the street performance of a vehicle.

I can understand a budget (if you saw what keeps mine running you would know) but a little more for the performance that matches your driving is way cheaper than the devistation caused by the 360 spins a jeep is highly capable of (even if it is just to clean the seats :D).

I would check at your local MOPAR dealership. They should be running a tire special buy 3 get 1 for $1 in the months of October and November.

I am not sure if any other vehicles have a lower crash rating (they might but they would have to be a hazard on the street :cool:).
Contrary to what some believe, the Wrangler's insurance industry actuarial data actually indicates it is one of the safer and more protective vehicles on the road, and on average it costs less on average to repair than most vehicles. Average injuries sustained in Wranglers are significantly less serious according to the actuarial data which I saw with my own two eyes.

Why? The Wrangler is significantly heavier than most cars are, it has a full steel frame, and it has a hefty steel tub. Today's cars are crackerbox unibody designs without a separate frame... stiff but not all that strong. And yes the Wrangler has crumple zones. In reality it has been shown to be a significantly safer vehicle than the average car on the road is. And that's according to the insurance industry's actuarial data tables which provides unbiased unspun data. It's what our insurance companies base our insurance rates on. :)

Last edited:
Just throwing it out there. If you are truly concerned with the handling performance of the tire, don't let a few hundred bucks dissuade you. A jeep is a piss poor highway handling vehicle to begin with. I am not sure if any other vehicles have a lower crash rating (they might but they would have to be a hazard on the street :cool:). Tires go a long way toward improving the street performance of a vehicle.

I can understand a budget (if you saw what keeps mine running you would know) but a little more for the performance that matches your driving is way cheaper than the devistation caused by the 360 spins a jeep is highly capable of (even if it is just to clean the seats :D).

I'm mostly concerned about how well the perform in rain. I know the Wrangler doesn't handle the best on freeways, and that is why I only do 60-65 mph. LOL You can even ask the officer that contacted me about the accident I witnessed, he asked me how fast I was going and I said, I was in my Jeep, so only about 60mph. LOL :D

I think if I can get hubby on board, I will go with the K02s.

Thanks for all the info and replies!

Reactions: Hound Dog
Ok, thanks.

So I went to Discount Tires, I guess aka America's tires, and found that the Duratrac is out of my price range. I keep going back to the Grabbers, in this link... https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/general-grabber-atx/p/43594 Which seem to have a lot of "sipes".

I also kind of like these although the tread pattern is borderline street. They also have a lot of sipes.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt/p/36882
And these are actually kind of neat, even better price point too. LOL

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-atp/p/10440

To add to what @Jerry Bransford mentioned about tires with siping. Tires that don't already come with factory siping can also be siped by the tire dealer if they have the machine in store. It usually adds $10 to $15 per tire depending on the dealer

Reactions: KimsJeep
To add to what @Jerry Bransford mentioned about tires with siping. Tires that don't already come with factory siping can also be siped by the tire dealer if they have the machine in store. It usually adds $10 to $15 per tire depending on the dealer
I had that done to some BFG Mud Terrains 20 years ago for $10 each and it worked out great. The only problem was finding a shop that could do it. One Discount Store manager acted like I was crazy and essentially asked why I wanted to have my tires "sliced up". It just goes to show that even the management doesn't always have much of a clue. 🤣

Reactions: reddvltj
I had that done to some BFG Mud Terrains 20 years ago for $10 each and it worked out great. The only problem was finding a shop that could do it. One Discount Store manager acted like I was crazy and essentially asked why I wanted to have my tires "sliced up". It just goes to show that even the management doesn't always have much of a clue. 🤣
I know that most if not all Les Schwab stores have siping machines. I worked for them for more than a few years...

One thing I did learn living here in Idaho is if you do a lot of gravel road driving tell them not to sipe the outside edge (one inch)

I know that most if not all Les Schwab stores have siping machines. I worked for them for more than a few years...

One thing I did learn living here in Idaho is if you do a lot of gravel road driving tell them not to sipe the outside edge (one inch)
Good point, it's not advisable to sipe the outer-most tread blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
I would go with the KO2. As for adding sipes, I would not as these tires are rigorously tested to perform a certain way in many different conditions, and you will void the warranty! Trust me, the KO2 has plenty of sipes.

I would go with the KO2. As for adding sipes, I would not as these tires are rigorously tested to perform a certain way in many different conditions, and you will void the warranty! Trust me, the KO2 has plenty of sipes.

That is the tire I decided on and no, I don't plan on adding sipes because of the fact they already have them.

The guys are just letting everyone know that it can be added to a tire that doesn't have them. :D

In all the years I worked at Les Schwab, we siped all the different brands we sold including BFG and never once did it change or void any of the mileage warranties. I guess it depends on who you buy your tires from and how they go about doing business with their customers.

Ok, I do see that they are RWL on the actual sticker of that is shown in the pics, it was just the description in the title doesn't say RWL. I see the description down below say's that too.

Thanks.!! :D
Take a look at the Mastercraft CXT, I just bought the MXT and am well pleased with them. Also the Dick Cepek Fun Country looks good.

I'm mostly concerned about how well the perform in rain. I know the Wrangler doesn't handle the best on freeways, and that is why I only do 60-65 mph. LOL You can even ask the officer that contacted me about the accident I witnessed, he asked me how fast I was going and I said, I was in my Jeep, so only about 60mph. LOL :D

I think if I can get hubby on board, I will go with the K02s.

Thanks for all the info and replies!

Happy owner of General AT2 Grabber. Rain, snow, dirt, they have not let me down.

Your story reminded me of my 1st encounter with police in a Jeep.
When i purchased my Jeep, it had some wide 33" mud terrains and 3.07 gears, that thing was barely moving. While i was going though one of Alabama counties, a doughnut operator pulled me over for going 75 in 55. I laughed at him and told him that this thing doesn't even go past 67, there is a reason why im staying off the highway.
Bastard wrote me a ticket anyway thinking i wouldn't come back to fight it. I did come back, but judge still sided with him, even though he couldn't provide any evidence.

Happy owner of General AT2 Grabber. Rain, snow, dirt, they have not let me down.

Your story reminded me of my 1st encounter with police in a Jeep.
When i purchased my Jeep, it had some wide 33" mud terrains and 3.07 gears, that thing was barely moving. While i was going though one of Alabama counties, a doughnut operator pulled me over for going 75 in 55. I laughed at him and told him that this thing doesn't even go past 67, there is a reason why im staying off the highway.
Bastard wrote me a ticket anyway thinking i wouldn't come back to fight it. I did come back, but judge still sided with him, even though he couldn't provide any evidence.
Alabama, says it all.

Ok, thanks. I will check before I buy. I will most likely go down to the actual store so I can talk to a person. Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the Grabbers. They also have a $100 dollar rebate I can do. Which will make them even cheaper.

Thanks again.

Edit to add, that I just looked and in the size of the tire at the top, it says C1 I'm guessing that is the C rating? I'll ask to be sure though.

The Grabbers have a C rating as well as a good snow rating. They also have a pretty high mileage rating; up to 60,000 miles. The guy at the tire shop advised me to rotate every 4,000 miles which is free for the life of the tires from this particular shop.