Which Wheels Look Better: Full-Face Steel or Ecco Cast Aluminum?

Which wheels look better?

• Total voters
Sorry guys but I went with MOABs. :)

18-03-21 1.JPG

I've always liked Eccos wheels on XJ's. (y) Are those the original colour and the one between the more common light ones and the dark ones I posted above (#34)?

XJ 4 8 3.jpg
They were originals. I sold them for $250 with some smaller tires and bought some matte black wheels.

XJ 9 21.jpg

Reactions: PCO6
I ran some mudgrips on YJ Sahara 6-spoke steel rims on a gray Cherokee Laredo 4x4 I had about 20 years ago. I don't have a pic, but they looked really good. The other rims I had were the stock 10-spoke aluminum, that I had street tires on.

I ran some mudgrips on YJ Sahara 6-spoke steel rims on a gray Cherokee Laredo 4x4 I had about 20 years ago. I don't have a pic, but they looked really good. The other rims I had were the stock 10-spoke aluminum, that I had street tires on.
I do like the 6 spokes if they are the ones I’m thinking.

... "stock 10-spoke aluminum" rims. Jeep 15" Turbines? I have a set on my MJ.

20-10-23 1.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
Never cared much for the turbines. Did you have it machined? I am very interested in anything that anyone can add about wheel refinishing. Sandblasting, acid dipping, 2K paint, powder coat, machining, polishing, etc. No rattle cans though.

Never cared much for the turbines. Did you have it machined? I am very interested in anything that anyone can add about wheel refinishing. Sandblasting, acid dipping, 2K paint, powder coat, machining, polishing, etc. No rattle cans though.

They were never available on TJ's but were on various XJ's and MJ's, mainly Laredo and Chief packages in to the early '90s. Mine were rough when I got them. They would have been very labour intensive for me to restore them (with mixed results) so I took them to a shop that media blasted them, painted them silver, machined the originally polished surfaces and then powder coated them with clear.

Here's what they looked like when I got them and how they now look on my MJ. I'm still trying to track down the wheel caps, which is not easy.

20-09-27 8.JPG
20-10-23 4.JPG

They were never available on TJ's but were on various XJ's and MJ's, mainly Laredo and Chief packages in to the early '90s. Mine were rough when I got them. They would have been very labour intensive for me to restore them (with mixed results) so I took them to a shop that media blasted them, painted them silver, machined the originally polished surfaces and then powder coated them with clear.

Here's what they looked like when I got them and how they now look on my MJ. I'm still trying to track down the wheel caps, which is not easy.

View attachment 214709View attachment 214710
Are these the correct center caps? They are $50 for the whole set but four hour round trip from my house. Too bad not closer.

Three of the four wheels look different to me than the other one (and yours) caps look different from each other too on closer look.

70B49D4E-CE8C-4929-A38E-0C4EADBD6D38.jpeg

Are these the correct center caps? They are $50 for the whole set but four hour round trip from my house. Too bad not closer.

Three of the four wheels look different to me than the other one (and yours) caps look different from each other too on closer look.

View attachment 214865

Those look like a couple of versions of J10 wheels which I think are 16" dia (?) with more spokes and larger, taller centre caps. The ones I'm looking for are shown below. I know they're out there ... just have to find some in good shape and at a reasonable cost. :)

SNGRLpNQeIwbx71_YtvuabYRSS-i6SymEtv8aguKR58.jpg

Getting a little bit obsessive about Jeep wheels lately...

I picked up a set of Canyons last night. More options = better right? Going to test fit and see how they look.

The tires are pretty much junk but good enough for a fitting. They are Michelin LTX (good quality tires if not so old and worn). I just measured them at about 29” tall and 10.25” wide. I am surprised they are so wide for a 9.50 with tire

In case anyone was wondering, you can easily fit four 30x9.50R15’s in the back seat of a Ford Fusion.

70D3B5BC-8B95-4AD6-815B-3E21DC18A147.jpeg

1C370CA0-716D-40C2-B6DB-1B49F663D74C.jpeg

Last edited: