Which Winch for TJ?

RedrumRH

WNC Asheville Area
Supporting Member
I need some direction about a winch, not a "wench" which I am sure the group also has much expertise. I have had my fair share of wenches, so I know all about that, and I am long past that part of my life:) So my goal is to keep my 00' TJ very stock, not doing a lift, not doing anything other than the 31x10.5x15 it now has, don't want to get new bumpers now, stock...stock...stock...and I think it is one of the best looking stock vehicles to begin with. I don't believe I am interested in rock crawling or extreme off roading, my off roading will be trail/logging roads, mud and snow gravel and dirt roads, the ability to go most anywhere a 4x4 can reasonably handle. I am a Realtor and I have to drive in all conditions, across 100 acre tracts that may only have a logging road, have to rescue vacation rental clients in the snow when they get stuck in the neighborhood (neighborhood has 65 miles of gravel roads), and my mom lives in the hood, so if I ever have to rescue her in a foot of snow and take her somewhere I need to get around in any weather. The VW Touareg has fit the bill for the last 5 years (still have the VW) but it is not going to be my primary "run around the mountain" anymore....the TJ is what I find myself driving any chance I get.

I want a winch for obvious reasons, but I am not going to be offering my services to pull people out because I have no experience and don't want to play expert. I won't be in a rock crawling caravan, or "mudding" so my winch use will be more of what I will call consumer use and not expert use I'll suggest most people call AAA if they are stuck unless it is a very easy and straight forward. But in the circumstances where I want to winch myself out in an emergency, or pull a car out of a ditch (like my wife) I want the ability to winch when needed.

SO what Winch just bolts onto a stock TJ bumper, winch and mounting plate, and what brands are the go to for light duty winching? I have already decided on synthetic cable, want a waterproof solenoid, and if you buy a winch that already has the synthetic line it seems that is the best bang for buck. Quadratic has a good website to see what options are available by model, but I am by no means a Q customer unless it is something only they have for more of the cosmetic upgrades. I want to buy the right winch, but have resisted putting one on because I like the clean no winch look better, AND I do not want to have to get a new front bumper, so I would want a winch that looks factory and low profile if there is such a thing.

Any suggestions about wenches is welcome.......wait I mean WINCHES!! Thank you all in advance.

The bumper doesn't matter, it doesn't even have to be there to mount a winch since a winch mount bolts to the frame and not the bumper. The winch mounting plate's bolts replace the bumper's top mounting bolts where they only pass through the bumper to the frame below. I'm personally a fan of Warn's winches that are made in America. Their entry-level VR winches are good quality but are imported from China and I believe in keeping American workers employed. If you want the lowest cost American made Warn, that would be their M8000 which can be purchased as the M8000-S which includes synthetic line.

And even when a winch isn't planned to be used often, I still believe in buying a quality winch like Warn. A cheap winch made in China like from Smittybilt, Harbor Freight Tools, etc. is less likely to work properly when you need it.

Last edited:
The bumper doesn't matter, it doesn't even have to be there to mount a winch since a winch mount bolts to the frame and not the bumper. The winch mounting plate's bolts replace the bumper's top mounting bolts where they only pass through the bumper to the frame below. I'm personally a fan of Warn's winches that are made in America. Their entry-level VR winches are good quality but are imported from China and I believe in keeping American workers employed. If you want the lowest cost American made Warn, that would be their M8000 which can be purchased as the M8000-S which includes synthetic line.

And even when a winch isn't planned to be used often, I still believe in buying a quality winch like Warn. A cheap winch made in China like from Smittybilt, Harbor Freight Tools, etc. is less likely to work properly when you need it.
Appreciate the insight Jerry. I was of course aware that Warn builds good stuff, and I always prefer to buy USA mfg, but was not aware of the differences in origin depending on model. I believe in buying quality once.