Who has steelies? (pics and discussion)

D6E5CDA4-E252-414F-AF8A-15DF6190FFFD.jpeg
I’m just switching back to 33-12.5-15 COOPER STT PRO from 35-12.5-15 super swamper season
We have snow in the forecast

—•|||||•—👋🏿

Had a Series Landrover addiction for many years. Had as many as four yard sculptures at one time so you can tell I like the look of light colored steel wheels. Believe the Landrover Defender steel wheels have either the 5x4.5 or 5x5 bolt pattern and look super sharp. Someone posted pic's of a TJ with the old Defender wheels and I fell in lust. Might be able to find them reasonably priced at a LR Dealer if they have them as take offs for alloy wheels. Fortunately or unfortunately I've picked up several sets of Jeep TJ and JK rims at bargain prices and am too cheap to pay retail so haven't followed up on the Defender wheels.

Still like the tall, skinny tires so am looking at Kenda Klever 9. 5 x 33 x 15 RT tires to fit my rims. They are cheaper than the big name brands but have good rep. as an All Tterrain tire. Pretty aggressive tread pattern yet still quiet on the street.

Not fond of powder coat if there is humidity and corrosives like salt in the environment. Living in Kona, powder coat would bubble wherever the surface was nicked and then corrosion would creep under the powder coat and it would peel off in sheets. Probably works fine in the south but wouldn't trust it if you drive in the winter in the Rust Belt. Painted my Rover wheels with Rust Oleum after careful prep to clean out all the rust in the cracks and feather any nicks. Owned some of the Rovers for decades and never had to repaint the wheels though the Rust Oleum did get a bit chalky as it aged.

Reactions: Zorba and matkal
Not fond of powder coat if there is humidity and corrosives like salt in the environment. Living in Kona, powder coat would bubble wherever the surface was nicked and then corrosion would creep under the powder coat and it would peel off in sheets. Probably works fine in the south but wouldn't trust it if you drive in the winter in the Rust Belt. Painted my Rover wheels with Rust Oleum after careful prep to clean out all the rust in the cracks and feather any nicks. Owned some of the Rovers for decades and never had to repaint the wheels though the Rust Oleum did get a bit chalky as it aged.
Powder coat ain't all its cracked up to be - for exactly this reason. I've found RustOleum is far better in most circumstances.

Reactions: matkal
I like them too. I never really saw the point of "Mag" wheels outside a race car environment. I only have one requirement for wheels: They need to be round. I would like to see hubcaps on them as well (they could be removed before wheeling).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I like them too. I never really saw the point of "Mag" wheels outside a race car environment. I only have one requirement for wheels: They need to be round. I would like to see hubcaps on them as well (they could be removed before wheeling).

I have hubcaps, I’ll try to find a pic

Reactions: Zorba

This looks great! Very cool! Sucker for solid steelies on a Jeep. Might just be the solution I'm in need of as well (or will be by this time tomorrow). Are your wheels/tires flush or inside the fender flares when parked level? If so, I'd really appreciate the specifics on these wheels and tires, you'd be my hero for the day. (y)

Last edited:
Will we ever survive?

No. :p

I don't see an EV plug and charging station anywhere?

I feel like there's some science here, so bear with me...

If we accept that our nervous system operates on electrical impulses, it would then be a safe assumption that dinosaurs would have functioned similarly. Seeing as gasoline/petroleum is made from crude oil, and crude is essentially made from very dead, very old, very squished and very liquefied dinosaurs....would it then not be safe to say that our Jeeps are electric by association? Can we not accept that gasoline is essentially dinosaur synapses transmogrified?

I feel greener. You? ;)

No. :p

I feel like there's some science here, so bear with me...

If we accept that our nervous system operates on electrical impulses, it would then be a safe assumption that dinosaurs would have functioned similarly. Seeing as gasoline/petroleum is made from crude oil, and crude is essentially made from very dead, very old, very squished and very liquefied dinosaurs....would it then not be safe to say that our Jeeps are electric by association? Can we not accept that gasoline is essentially dinosaur synapses transmogrified?

I feel greener. You? ;)

I still can't get over watching old movies with dinosaurs and cavemen. The two never existed together. 🤓

Reactions: chili_pepper