Who hates Christmas?

mxz800

Instigator
Supporting Member
I love Thanksgiving because its mostly about food, this year sucked but most years Thanksgiving was great.

Now Christmas on the other hand sucks, I hate people buying me things I don't want/need etc. Hate the music, I didn't care for it even when I was young. You wouldn't know it was Christmas at all based on my house, I have zero Christmas lights inside or out. I did Christmas for my son when he was young, and I get stuff for my Grandson now.

I get the I'm a Grinch for not acting like I'm a five year old when it comes to Christmas. I do, and get stuff all year long for my family, I don't need a day to remind me.

I can't be the only one here who feels like this.

Reactions: L J and jjvw
Yeah. I'm a big grinch when it comes to Christmas. Like you, I love Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday).

Reactions: mxz800
From the world I grew up in: I can see the Christmas season meaning less once you have a decent job as an adult and can buy what you want. Maybe not turning Christmas into a "sales season" would have avoided my obsession with receiving gifts as a kid. The Sears Christmas Catalog was like a yearly bag of crack!!! At least I'm over that now.

In the world today: Christmas sucks even more. I feel that way because too many spoiled kids have become entitled adults and it's all about what they think they need. Even some of least entitled think they need the ability to have their "look what I bought for someone" brag session. I don't think many of them will ever get over it.

I'm far from the most religious person anywhere and I've heard multiple times in my past that Christmas is to honor Christ's birth which would probably work fine if it was just a holiday and not a friggin' season.

While I've avoided the word "hate" I will say I hate hearing most Christmas songs more than a couple times a year and the others I pretty much hate no matter what.

I can handle this one the best but a half a dozen times might be too much.

I don't have a problem with Christmas per se but I basically hit pause on Christmas a long time ago. I don't care for today's Christmas. Just completey force-fed in your face and up your ass with every means possible to get you to spend on crap.

I care to remember it when I was younger and liked that break in the year with the music, lights, food, etc etc.

I'm the opposite. I detest Thanksgiving, and love Christmas, Yule, Solstice - we celebrate them all!

With that said, what I don't like are the insipid Xmas carols we're subjected to for two months. Although I'm not at all a Christian, I prefer the Christian carols - they're beautiful. Jackie Evancho singing O' Holy Night just does it for me. Insipid crap like "Jingle Bells", "Grandma got run over by a raindeer", or "Santa Baby" make me want to punch little kittens! Think of the kittens!

Oh, and what the HELL is "Jingle Bells Rock"? Who came up with that Stupendous Steaming Stack of Stinking Steer Stool?

I never understood Christmas haters. Like any other holiday its exactly what you decide to make of it so make it something you enjoy. Around here there are no lights or decorations other than on the tree, no insipid music, no traveling to the visit relatives or having them travel here, and I avoid the crazed shopping crowds and completely ignore all the commercial crap. Not fancy, not extravagant, and its enjoyable.

Couldn’t agree with @steelhd more!
I really enjoy Christmas! It’s my slow season for work so it’s real easy for to take time off. I put just enough lights and decorations up out front to where I can have it done in a couple of hours. Same with the inside. Keep it real simple.
I don’t want to do any crazy cooking because I go all out for thanksgiving so we order tamales and that’s dinner.
Don’t like Christmas music so I don’t listen to it, solves that problem (with the exception to A Twisted Christmas, love that album!)
Take the kids out and drive around looking for Christmas light.
We do Christmas our way that fits our family!

Reactions: Zorba
The misses makes sure the Christmas spirit is strong in our home. We're now up to 4 Christmas trees. 🎄🎄🎄🎄

This. And it doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are or are not, its a complete Charlie Juliette of epic proportions. And it shouldn't be.

I agree, if it wasn't for my kids, I wouldn't do a damn thing for Christmas, not a thing.

Reactions: Byhumba
I agree, if it wasn't for my kids, I wouldn't do a damn thing for Christmas, not a thing.
04ec94fc7e99b3629930155c88858990.jpg

I hate the commercialization of Christmas, when I was a kid my great grandmother would give out brown paper bags with an orange, apple some pecans, walnuts and a piece or 2 of peppermint candy.
The older I got the more that bag meant to me because I came to realize it was from the heart and not the wallet!!!!

As the kids get older (18 & 22) I want nothing to do with it anymore. This year tree went up and some basic lights. In past years, lights upper and lower on the house, all windows, bushes etc...even a bunch of blow ups on the lawn. My wife and I have pretty much eliminated anniversary and birthday gifts. The only presents my wife and I are exchanging are things we ordered online for xmas. If we want something we buy it...so yes, I am a Grinch!

I enjoyed Christmas when I was a kid. My parents were pretty traditional though, so then it was about spirituality, gathering, good food, decorations, & a few gifts. Fast forward to today & I'm growing less and less a fan.

I think a big part of it is what's happened with our family in relation to our kids. My wife is the only one out of her 5 siblings to every have children, and I'm the only person on my side as well & every year they just get INUNDATED with gifts to the point that I think it's obscene. They're only 6 & 8, but at this point they've been conditioned to expect a mountain of presents under the tree (which there always is) and every Christmas morning their only concern is ripping though 50 or so gifts to the point they don't even remember what the got.

I've been the bad guy now going on a few years, everyone is on eggshells with me when it comes to sending them gifts but they do it anyway.

Plus FaceTime & the equivalents. Last year we got to the point where each family member got to watch them open their gifts on their compatible video chat system, do you have any idea what a nightmare that is? This year I told everyone we're just not doing it & now they're all pissed.

I just want to decorate a fucking tree, read some shit out of the bible like my dad used to do, have some tasty food & open a couple of gifts. What the hell happened?

I hate the commercialization of Christmas, when I was a kid my great grandmother would give out brown paper bags with an orange, apple some pecans, walnuts and a piece or 2 of peppermint candy.
The older I got the more that bag meant to me because I came to realize it was from the heart and not the wallet!!!!

That reminds me of my grandfather's Christmas story. Roughly 100 yrs ago he was one of about 10 kids in a family that lived in a coal mine town and their father spent the last 6 months of his life in the hospital with a broken back due to a mine collapse. Anyway, every Christmas Eve Black Peter came over and one at a time pulled each kid out of the bed they fought to share or the floor beside it, beat their ass for any misbehavior over the past year then handed them a bag with an apple and an orange for anything they did good. He said it was hard to decide if he should play with them because he had no toys or eat them because he was hungry. He did a little of both while guarding them from his siblings.

That reminds me of my grandfather's Christmas story. Roughly 100 yrs ago he was one of about 10 kids in a family that lived in a coal mine town and their father spent the last 6 months of his life in the hospital with a broken back due to a mine collapse. Anyway, every Christmas Eve Black Peter came over and one at a time pulled each kid out of the bed they fought to share or the floor beside it, beat their ass for any misbehavior over the past year then handed them a bag with an apple and an orange for anything they did good. He said it was hard to decide if he should play with them because he had no toys or eat them because he was hungry. He did a little of both while guarding them from his siblings.
Grampa sounds like he was a fun guy.