Who is Running Factory Gambler Wheels?

TJRick

TJ Enthusiast
Who is running stock (1997/1998) OEM "Gambler" style wheels on their TJ? This is a unique wheel that you just don't see that often anymore.

I have read that unlike all of the other stock 15x8 wheels that have 5.5" of backspacing, these have 5.25" of backspacing. Is this true? And if so, wouldn't that mean that you could run a 32" tire without wheel spacers?

DSC02502.JPG

Last edited:
Probably not, the Rubicon rubs on the fender with 5" backspacing and 31" tires. Most likely you'll hit either the control arms or the fenders at full lock or flex. It'll probably be fine but I'd bet you'll hit somewhere if you cycle it.

Probably not, the Rubicon rubs on the fender with 5" backspacing and 31" tires. Most likely you'll hit either the control arms or the fenders at full lock or flex. It'll probably be fine but I'd bet you'll hit somewhere if you cycle it.

What are you talking about? The stock Rubicon "Moab" wheels with 5" backspacing shipped from the factory with 31" tires. I have heard many people here say that a 32" tire (265 75R 16) tire will also fit without rubbing.

What are you talking about?
I'm just trying to help. There are threads on this site showing the point where the factory Rubicon setup can rub with the sway bar disconnected. People say lots of things fit, it just depends what you are going to do with your Jeep. I thought I clearly said it'll probably be fine. I run 32" tires on 5.5" backspacing and it's fine. It rubs a bit but who cares? It isn't going to break my control arms or anything. Fact is 31" tires rub sometimes, again, it isn't a big deal. If you think it is a big deal you probably shouldn't be getting so close to the edge right?

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I’ve got Gamblers on my ‘04 TJ Rubicon with 33s and 3.25 lift, but had to add 1.5” spacers. If I remember correctly, that was the smallest spacer that would accommodate that wheel for my Jeep without any rubbing. That’s a wicked cool wheel so get spacers if you need them.

Reactions: TJRick
What are you talking about? The stock Rubicon "Moab" wheels with 5" backspacing shipped from the factory with 31" tires. I have heard many people here say that a 32" tire (265 75R 16) tire will also fit without rubbing.
Mine rub at full lock with 265/75/16 on 3.5” of lift, but just barely

I think all of these are before the 1.25" BL. Just the OME 2.5 SL pictured. And ignore the spare. It's a 31x11.50 swamper LTB.

View attachment 161180

View attachment 161181

View attachment 161183

Thanks! (y)

I think those Gamblers look great with the mild lift and bigger tires! When you say they "rubbed," did you try to adjust the steering stops to prevent it? My 1998 Jeep originally came with Gamblers, but I am trying to decide if I should find another set (I run 32" tires on aftermarket wheels) or go with the Moab wheels.

Having owned both, what are your thoughts between these two wheels, and why did you decide to replace your Gamblers with Moabs?

Last edited:
I loved the gamblers but I love the moabs even more. I still have my gamblers behind the shed though.

It's been a while, but I think they were fine on the street and even on the trail with the sway connected, but with it disconnected it rubbed bad on the pegs used to store the disconnected sway bar. That might have been due to my poor install location on the pegs though. Which reminds me, I think I still have the steering stops adjusteded with washers from 15 years ago. I should check on removing those! 😀

I loved the gamblers but I love the moabs even more. I still have my gamblers behind the shed though.

It's been a while, but I think they were fine on the street and even on the trail with the sway connected, but with it disconnected it rubbed bad on the pegs used to store the disconnected sway bar. That might have been due to my poor install location on the pegs though. Which reminds me, I think I still have the steering stops adjusteded with washers from 15 years ago. I should check on removing those! 😀

Do you remember how many washers it took to prevent the Gamblers from rubbing?

When I'm a little less tipsy I will head out there and check if they are still on there. If they aren't, then sorry, no. It's been a lot of beers and a lot of miles between then and now 😉

Reactions: TJRick
Now who is running these wheels but also have flat fenders? I'm running 33's with flat fenders but thinking about going back to these wheels.