Who is running OME coil springs?

I'm running OME coils. LJ with a hardtop, but no heavy bumpers, no big spare, no winch. The 2932s on the front only gave 1" of lift, and the 2942s on the rear gave 2" of lift. I had to add a 1" spacer to the front. I wish I had bought the 2933s for the front, but would probably still need a 1/2" spacer. It's kind of a guessing game to get the right ones, especially on an LJ with its extra weight. You shouldn't have that problem with a TJ. Maybe.

I like them. They hold the Jeep up. Black Max shock made it ride nice.

I'm running 2934 front, 2949 rear. LJ hardtop, ARB front/rear bumpers, winch, full size spare.

Paired with the 60047 and 60048 shock

Had them for about 2 weeks now, ride quality feels good, and getting better.

Quote.
"Unless you dialed in the ride height to be the same with the correct amount of shock travel, then the issue is not spring rate related, it is ride height related.

Put another way. If you take a heavier rate spring and put it on a rig that is lighter with a shock that is set up for a specific lift height, then the balance is off. What will happen when you encounter higher level events is the rear end will kick up faster and hit the end of the shock which tries to lift the axle off the ground and that will seem very harsh in ride quality.

If you take the same exact set-up and put a softer rate spring in that lowers ride height and brings the shock travel back into balance, then the ride improvement is from the travel of the shock being utilized better and not from the softer spring.

I also find it very odd that we can swap a different rate spring in without making any other adjustments. I've yet to see springs with these different rates that didn't also produce a different ride height. What am I missing about these springs?"

Quote.
"Unless you dialed in the ride height to be the same with the correct amount of shock travel, then the issue is not spring rate related, it is ride height related.

Put another way. If you take a heavier rate spring and put it on a rig that is lighter with a shock that is set up for a specific lift height, then the balance is off. What will happen when you encounter higher level events is the rear end will kick up faster and hit the end of the shock which tries to lift the axle off the ground and that will seem very harsh in ride quality.

If you take the same exact set-up and put a softer rate spring in that lowers ride height and brings the shock travel back into balance, then the ride improvement is from the travel of the shock being utilized better and not from the softer spring.

I also find it very odd that we can swap a different rate spring in without making any other adjustments. I've yet to see springs with these different rates that didn't also produce a different ride height. What am I missing about these springs?"

The simple explanation is that any spring that is designed for a TJ, create a desired ride height, and function within the constraints of the suspension will necessarily be made within a fairly narrow range of spring rates, free lengths, and spring travels. Those springs are not different enough from each other to have perceivable effects in ride quality.

PO installed an OME 2.5” lift. He also installed a Gobi rack which weighed aprox 100#. I do not know if it was added before or after the lift. I do have a hard top in the equation. The ride was good but it felt top heavy on turns and off chamber trails. After removing the rack high speed turns feel much improved. I did not think of doing before and after measurements so I do not know if there was much of a change in ride height. Ride quality is personal and my TJ experience comes after having a YJ 30 yrs.

And his smooth riding springs. ;)

200w (1).gif

They do make the ride after all 😆

Reactions: Steeprocker