Why a TJ?

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
We had another thread going and it got me to thinking with as much money as I have put into these and as basic as they are why am I so addicted?

This is not really TJ versus the JK/JL so much as what is it that I really like about the TJ that makes me keep coming back-

1. I love the looks of the vehicle. It resembles the CJ which was the jeep I really fell in love with first.

2. I’m not intimidated by the mechanics of it. I can work on the thing and that is an odyssey in itself. It is generally what keeps this forum alive...and this forum keeps the jeeps alive too.

3. I like to have something older that is well taken care of I think that is cool to do that with any vehicle and I admire others that do the same.

4. I know the engine is going to keep going.

5. Offroad I love the agility.

6. They are not a dime a dozen. It seems like everybody has a four-door but that’s not the case with this platform.

7. The price of admission is not too bad- It just concerns me when people think that that’s all they’re gonna have to pay because I feel like their expectations are going to be let down.

We can all learn to justify, rationalize or explain anything and we can learn to like about anything but I think honestly these are the main points for me- Chime in and I’ll probably see some things you say that I echo as well.

Last edited:
I just like the fact they're small and good fun, built or not...mine Isn't exactly a quality ride, bad on gas, is loud and yet I love the thing. Last night we crammed 6 people in it and went tearing around in the snow. It's hard to beat the simplicity of it. Just good clean fun

1. Small and nimble
2. Good simple fun
3. Easy to work on
4. Easily customizable
5. A unique vehicle...you don't see many vehicles that look like the tjs

I just like the fact they're small and good fun, built or not...mine Isn't exactly a quality ride, bad on gas, is loud and yet I love the thing. Last night we crammed 6 people in it and went tearing around in the snow. It's hard to beat the simplicity of it. Just good clean fun

1. Small and nimble
2. Good simple fun
3. Easy to work on
4. Easily customizable
5. A unique vehicle...you don't see many vehicles that look like the tjs

I like this -

Fun, fun and more fun.

My parents said no in HighSchool and I love to tinker.

That ‘ll teach ‘em. And yes they are a ball to tinker with...that is half the fun I believe.

I round everyone that has one I can on a Saturday every chance we get and we garage it all day - had a red one in the shop getting sliders when this was taken.

0D98F979-8A38-4FCD-A860-39E491A4C92B.jpeg

I've never not had a good time with whoever I've had with me in it...just a good hoot of a time. Even when I break crap

You’ll see friends get interested once they see how fun it is.

I have a pretty nice C6 Corvette- sits mostly - its fun in its’ own way, but thats just “fast and handles well” fun....I can’t do much to it, can’t get under it, dont want to scratch it and its a ticket magnet.

The TJ is fun even sitting still.

We had another thread going and it got me to thinking with as much money as I have put into these and as basic as they are why am I so addicted?

This is not really TJ versus the JK/JL so much as what is it that I really like about the TJ that makes me keep coming back-

1. I love the looks of the vehicle. It resembles the CJ which was the jeep I really fell in love with first.

2. I’m not intimidated by the mechanics of it. I can work on the thing and that is an odyssey in itself. It is generally what keeps this forum alive...and this forum keeps the jeeps alive too.

3. I like to have something older that is well taken care of I think that is cool to do that with any vehicle and I admire others that do the same.

6. They are not a dime a dozen. It seems like everybody has a four-door but that’s not the case with this platform.

7. The price of admission is not too bad- It just concerns me when people think that that’s all they’re gonna have to pay because I feel like their expectations are going to be let down.

We can all learn to justify, rationalize or explain anything and we can learn to like about anything but I think honestly these are the main points for me- Chime in and I’ll probably see some things you say that I echo as well.

I mean, in terms of off-roading, how different is a TJ from a JK or JL? I just like to have fun. And TJ’s tend to be cheaper (knock on wood)

That said, when I fuck something up, I know on my TJ I can find parts at the click of a button.

So many people know how to fix them.

They’re extremely easy to fix. They’re not full of modules and wiring harnesses (in comparison to newer models…)

They have flaws, yet there’s 40 jeep forums out there full of people who have pulled every bolt out of the TJ’s since they were new and can advise on how to get around these flaws.

Uh, the 4.0!?

The thing I can honestly say I think the TJ is severely flawed on is the box frame without adequate factory drainage. Jeep killer up here on the coast of Lake Erie.

Another thing id like to piggyback on is how unique it is. Today we have the Bronco which stylistically, IMHO is similar to a JK or JL. The TJ is unique. It’s the Jeep that stands out to me when someone mentions a Jeep. It’s very popular in off-road culture, and it’s simplicity while keeping versatility to me is what makes it the off-road champ in comparison to the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG
It was one of the only solid axle vehicles in my price range, with decent reliability.

The only other reasonable sub 10k options were FJ80 (huge), or a Disco 2 (unreliable).

Last edited:
You’ll see friends get interested once they see how fun it is.

I have a pretty nice C6 Corvette- sits mostly - its fun in its’ own way, but thats just “fast and handles well” fun....I can’t do much to it, can’t get under it, dont want to scratch it and its a ticket magnet.

The TJ is fun even sitting still.

Amen....like it's fun to take cars out for a rip but it's not like you can spend all day at it like you can offroading with some buddies

Well said.

I agree with a lot of things that have already been said here. I was in the market for a Wrangler and was looking at YJ, TJ, and JK. These have been the three models while I've been into the off-road realm. YJ's were replaced when I was young but we're still really popular in the late 90's.

But when it came down to it, I love the 4.0 (first vehicle was a 1998 Cherokee), the simplicity of the TJ while still have conveniences such as coil springs, comfort, parts availability, and the fact that they were the bulk of what I grew up watching and reading about.

I strongly considered both the YJ and JK. All YJ's that I was finding in decent condition with the 4.0 were near the same price as a TJ and I preferred coils. The JK with a 3.8 was very uninteresting and the 3.6s that were in my price range were questionable and I did not want to increase my budget for something that is strictly a toy. Plus, more up front cost cuts into future mods. Very glad I ended up with a TJ, it just feels right to be in it.

I have wanted a TJ & a YJ for years. But the TJ has always been a favorite for a few reasons.

-Love the looks
-Easy to work on
-Cheap to work on compared to almost everything else (especially for me coming from the fullsize truck and muscle/sports car world)
-Modularity/Customization. You can do almost anything to or with them
-Strong aftermarket even 18 years out of production
-No complex electronics and unnecessary crap to give reliability issues
-Small & nimble
-They're just way more fun and enjoyable than they have the right to be. To a degree it's unexplainable. It would be impossible to describe to someone who hasn't owned or spent any amount of time behind the wheel of one. Whether as a DD or a toy, they're just enjoyable.

They definitely have their flaws, but show me a vehicle that doesn't. I love my Silverado, I miss my Z28, and there's plenty of vehicles I plan to own once circumstances allow. But one thing is for certain, and that's that a TJ will always be in the stable.

Honestly I'd rather have a CJ7. However... finding them seems to fall into two categories: A barely functional project vehicle that would require many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work to make a daily driver, or ridiculously overpriced because it's already restored.
The relatively few survivors that are on the road are owned by people as crazy as we are that don't want to get rid of them.
That being said, I'm completely happy with my TJ, and plan for my widow to sell it when I don't need it any more.

Honestly I'd rather have a CJ7. However... finding them seems to fall into two categories: A barely functional project vehicle that would require many thousands of dollars ands hundreds of hours to make a daily driver, or ridiculously overpriced because it's already restored.
The relatively few survivors that are on the road are owned by people as crazy as we are that don't want to get rid of them.
That being said, I'm completely happy with my TJ, and plan for my widow to sell it when I don't need it any more.

I'm curious why. Is it the nostalgia factor or the flexibility of not having a PCM, airbag, etc.? I've owned a CJ7 and a TJ so I have seat time in both.