Why do people have to be complete a-holes?

Rich I’m in the process of selling a vehicle right now as well and it has been eventful to say the least. I’m not sure if it’s just bad timing right now or what. I laid out every problem with the vehicle, what it needs, what’s been replaced, reason for selling etc. Yet I’m still finding myself answering these same questions multiple times a day for people who end up never responding. I get daily offers of almost $4k off my asking price and had one guy, like you, offer me $7k less 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’m finding Craigslist isn’t what it used to be. Even if you have to create a “fake” Facebook account, their Marketplace seems to be where everyone’s selling vehicles(everything really) these days.

You aren’t selling the LJ are you? 😕
It is the LJ. Because of a family member that requires long-term care I don't have time for it anymore, and don't see that changing for a while. This was partly why I was so annoyed. I have someone that really needs my time and attention, and other idiots suck up that time with no consideration for anyone but themselves.

That said, I've decided to just let it sit in the garage, until I can get back to it. The good news is I don't need to sell it and have a place to keep it.

My favorite is when the initial contact I get from the prospective buyer before they even see the item is "what is the lowest price you will take for it?".

I always reply the same way ... "Thank you for your interest but I'm not going to negotiate against myself". I have never received a follow-up to that response. 🖕
I see a lot of "is the price negotiable?". When I'm bored, I tend to help the seller out with "sure, how much more would you like to pay?".

My brother is in the car sales business (sales mgr at a F*** dealership in NC).
He told me there are no used cars & the few they have are super expensive. I'd wager these super low ball douche bags are auctioneers or otherwise related to the car sales cartel.
I did ask the question to several requests for information, "Are you a dealer or re-seller?". A couple responded with a yes. Others didn't respond at all, which also meant yes. (y)

My favorite is when the initial contact I get from the prospective buyer before they even see the item is "what is the lowest price you will take for it?".

I always reply the same way ... "Thank you for your interest but I'm not going to negotiate against myself". I have never received a follow-up to that response. 🖕

Great response, I'll start using that more often since I too get that same stupid line right off the bat, almost all the time.

Reactions: Irun and Apparition
Great response, I'll start using that more often since I too get that same stupid line right off the bat, almost all the time.
Growing up on a farm my parents were always selling something be it cattle or machinery.

Many a deal was struck with a handshake and shit on your boots in a cattle pen of some sort.

My dads policy was there’s no negotiation unless you’re standing there looking at whatever it was.

Last edited:
That’s how it should be too. I get so sick of idiots trying to negotiate with me before they even see what I am selling in person. What a world of idiots we live in nowadays.
You're just figuring this out? ;) BTW, will you take $5 for those Jeep parts you're selling? Shipped, of course! *GRINNING, DUCKING, AND RUNNING!*

Last edited:
I was tyring to sell my motorcycle last year for $3,800, I got an email offer saying "I'll give you 1,000. Where should we meet?" :rolleyes:

I sold my ratty front seats late last year on Marketplace. Some guy messaged me at about 2 am asking if it was "still available" even though I posted it just hours ago. I messaged him back when I woke up and said "yes-if you are interested I can meet you at this location". He responds and says he'll be there in an hour. 3 hours ago by and he finally messages me and says he is on his way. Annoyed, but not a big deal as my location was only a couple miles away. In the meantime, I begin to look at his profile and this guy is selling a ton of random shit on facebook; shoes (tons of shoes), food, old furniture, etc. He's got tattoos all over his face and random posts about his personal life. So I began to google search his name and it turns out this man had been arrested not to long ago for vehicle theft a few counties over and had quite the rap sheet. In person though he seemed like a fairly nice guy. Needless to say I carried for that transaction.

I sold my ratty front seats late last year on Marketplace. Some guy messaged me at about 2 am asking if it was "still available" even though I posted it just hours ago. I messaged him back when I woke up and said "yes-if you are interested I can meet you at this location". He responds and says he'll be there in an hour. 3 hours ago by and he finally messages me and says he is on his way. Annoyed, but not a big deal as my location was only a couple miles away. In the meantime, I begin to look at his profile and this guy is selling a ton of random shit on facebook; shoes (tons of shoes), food, old furniture, etc. He's got tattoos all over his face and random posts about his personal life. So I began to google search his name and it turns out this man had been arrested not to long ago for vehicle theft a few counties over and had quite the rap sheet. In person though he seemed like a fairly nice guy. Needless to say I carried for that transaction.

the one positive thing about marketplace is you can snoop on the person before you respond to them. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and don't need face tattoos and a rap sheet casing my house while they pick up some $20 junk that I'm just trying to get rid of. I haven't had anybody come to this house to pick something up yet, but when I end up selling a vehicle I won't have much of a choice.

There also seems to be a pretty good correlation between having marijuana themed photos on their profile and not following through (there's a difference between using it vs making it a central pillar of their personhood, like a vegan), so I don't give those as much slack when it comes to holding or waiting or venturing farther from my house than the convenience store just outside the neighborhood.

There's a local page that I don't use because they enforce a "line" system; basically you're obligated to sell it to commenters in the order they post. That would be fine if everybody was like me, but I don't have the patience to deal with people who get in line and then can't meet up for 3 days. I respond to all the comments and messages and whoever can get there to pick it up first, whether they're the first or tenth person to contact me, is who gets it.

Reactions: Tomcat
the one positive thing about marketplace is you can snoop on the person before you respond to them. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and don't need face tattoos and a rap sheet casing my house while they pick up some $20 junk that I'm just trying to get rid of. I haven't had anybody come to this house to pick something up yet, but when I end up selling a vehicle I won't have much of a choice.

I sold a car a few years ago and met the buyer at a local bank branch. After many, many lowball offers (one of which was from an aunt-in-law of a friend, truly trashy) one guy actually paid asking price. It was super fishy to me. I took the cashier's check into my bank, made the banker assure me it was 100% legit, and that was that. I didn't have to do anything at my house.

There's a local page that I don't use because they enforce a "line" system; basically you're obligated to sell it to commenters in the order they post. That would be fine if everybody was like me, but I don't have the patience to deal with people who get in line and then can't meet up for 3 days. I respond to all the comments and messages and whoever can get there to pick it up first, whether they're the first or tenth person to contact me, is who gets it.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of when it comes to sale groups.

I'd rather sell on the forum to a member that has been around for a while.
I haven't had good luck with CL of FB. I think people get bored and want to fuck with others.
I have had numerous "no shows" after setting up a meet.
One guy kept texting me telling me he was on the way. I'm around the corner. Just stopping at the ATM for cash.
Finally he told me he was still home and just fucking with me because he was bored.

I haven't had good luck with CL of FB. I think people get bored and want to fuck with others.
One guy kept texting me telling me he was on the way. I'm around the corner. Just stopping at the ATM for cash.
Finally he told me he was still home and just fucking with me because he was bored.
That is so wrong!

Jack azz, complete A hole.