Why do some people cover their license plates for photos?

mxz800

Instigator
Supporting Member
I was just wondering why some people here, and elsewhere cover their plates? Then I've also seen pictures from some who forget to cover the plates at times. I've never understood the reason for blocking out plates, maybe there is a good one? I would be more worried about someone seeing my plates in the real world if they feel I've wronged them in someway. I've never felt the need to try to look up anybody's plate I've seen in a photo.

Reactions: Airjunky
The notion of anonymity and privacy in today's digital world has been stripped bare.

Concealing license plate numbers is a moot point these days!

I could see doing it on a forum where you are doing a illegal modifications to your car but the stuff we do around here is pretty well below the radar. I don't think US DOT is coming after me for my Savvy control arms and aftermarket headlights.

Because some people don't know any better, honestly.

Covering your license plate does nothing at all. It's pretty amusing to me that people will cover their license plate, but give personal information to a site like Facebook who is known to share all that information. Oh, the irony!

because people have the ability to have your tags run. and there are a lot of fools and freaks out there. why make it easier.

edited, and sorry i even mentioned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gg1
There's a good article on the topic here:

https://jalopnik.com/should-you-bother-obscuring-your-license-plates-in-phot-5941797
But for me, I see it this way:
I'm much more likely to have someone from the internet that wishes to do something bad to me than from anyone who has direct access to see my license plate in person. While there is the DPPA to protect privacy with license plates, I'd just rather not risk allowing more personal information onto the internet than I need to.

We live in an age where it just takes one asshole on the internet with your address to put your life in danger by doing little more than making a single phone call (check out Swatting if you've never heard of this). I'm already pretty bold with this community by sharing the city I live in along with a picture of my face on my avatar, but that's as far as I'm willing to go (especially since I do tend to speak my mind on the politics sub-forum, albeit with the full intention of being respectful to others).

Basically, it's easy to blur out a license plate and while the risk is probably small, I'd still rather do a quick blur to an image before an upload than to take that risk.

I find it interesting how different generations view privacy, for example my Dad when he was 70 years old (it was 2006) he had to get a new accountant, just like the one who retired we drove 90 minutes to his office. The accountant asked where we lived, he had never heard of our town, the next question was why did we drive so far. My Dad said well if you go to the corner store to tell everyone about us no one will care that is why.

My son's generation could careless about privacy, he would tell you how much he makes, whatever else you want to know, plus if he got a DNA kit for a gift I'm sure he would sent it right in. My generation is in between I'm not going to blur my plate, but there is no way I'm sending my DNA off to be tested.

I never block out my license plate, but I sure think about it when driving down the freeway. I don't know how widespread it is but around here it's hard to drive any freeway that doesn't have some cop on a bridge eating doughnuts while using his radar gun and a camera to send money grabbing tickets to anyone over the speed limit while claiming to be making the roads safer.

And the "doughnut eating" doesn't refer to the ones actually doing something worth paying them for.

Reactions: reddvltj
JeepCJTJ, NH passed the handsfree phone law for $$$ whoops I mean for safety reasons. Then accidents went up not down because people were hiding their phone while texting to avoid a ticket.

Then Maine passed the same law using the safety lie, then bragged to the media how they couldn't give out tickets fast enough. Fifty dollars the first time two hundred and fifty dollars the second time. Everything is a money grab.

JeepCJTJ, NH passed the handsfree phone law for $$$ whoops I mean for safety reasons. Then accidents went up not down because people were hiding their phone while texting to avoid a ticket.

Then Maine passed the same law using the safety lie, then bragged to the media how they couldn't give out tickets fast enough. Fifty dollars the first time two hundred and fifty dollars the second time. Everything is a money grab.
In Ontario the fines are a LOT higher than that … $1,000, $2,000 and $3,000 PLUS suspensions, demerit points and even the loss of your licence. Then there's your insurance. It's not just about the money, it's about safety on the roads.

Reactions: derekmac
When I first got my Jeep I covered mine, in fact my profile is my Jeep the night I got it and the plate is covered. LOL It was more of a paranoia thing. I felt until it was in my name it didn't want it to be seen. LOL I know that it didn't really matter because it was a legit transaction. LOL I don't cover it anymore. I figure if they want my info they will get it with a covered plate or not. :D

Because for $10 you can run that plate and the secretary of state or motor vehicle department will give you all the registered owners address and info.

And keep in mind you don't own the plate, so the info can be public.

You trust the general public?

You trust the general public?

Every day on the way to work and back. We are kinda forced into it. Thankfully most aren't going to care about me or my license plate, except for that one guy's creepy friend from earlier in this thread.

• Haha
Sure we have to driving, etc.. but I also use a password on my wifi.. and don't post my SS number.

Most won't care for your personal info.. But ID theft guys love that info. Sad we have to think about this stuff..

comments withdrawn, not sure why i even bothered to try.

it's late............merry christmas everyone..........hope you all have a great day. and get some cool stuff.

Last edited: