Why do you own a TJ?

Well I have had numerous check engine lights for crank and cam sensors and misfires already bought the crown opda for a replacement and had to put in the shop so a tech could chase down a bare wire in the harness that crosses the transmission. Right now every thing is working great except when I go to pump gas it pukes back out if I try to pump too fast. I have read enough forums to know that I am not alone.

I originally purchased my 2005 Wrangler X to be used as a towed behind my motor home, as the Jeep Wrangler is easy to tow. Soon after I purchased my bone stock Wrangler X I made the mistake of accepting an invitation to Moab, UT, it would be fun they said. After spending a few days in Moab I was bitten by the build bug.

About a year and a half ago I began my build, and I discovered that Jeep Wranglers attract other Jeep Wranglers, and that an entire subculture existed with the Jeep Wrangler as the hub. I mean who knew.

Today I feel blessed to own a Jeep Wrangler, I really enjoy the camaraderie, and conquering obstacles. I now know why I bought my Wrangler...FUN. This is the most fun you can have at under 5 mph.

Reactions: lindsey97 and Chris
I like all Jeeps, but the only one I actually want to own is a TJ. I've owned my fair share of XJs and such, but the TJ to me is the last true Wrangler.

I bought my tj due to selling my built jku after some guy made a offer. I needed a jeep for a wheeling trip, and it fit the bill.

Reactions: Chris
I bought my tj due to selling my built jku after some guy made a offer. I needed a jeep for a wheeling trip, and it fit the bill.

Why not just keep the JKU since you've probably dumped an equal amount of money into the TJ, no?

Why not just keep the JKU since you've probably dumped an equal amount of money into the TJ, no?
Should of but it's long gone
I paid 20k for the jku stock, then 10k in extras. Sold it for 21500.00.

I suppose what I can say is There were numerous compounding factors as to why I got TJ Jeep. It was inexpensive enough for me to afford the time, And at that time it wasn't old enough for me to fear the possibility of not being able to procure parts for it. While I was aware of the model before it I wasn't keen on the square lights. The JK jeeps also seemed to have little quirks to their aesthetic that I did not care for, And also the prices were higher and out of my range.

The 97 Wrangler sport I bought was the sweet spot for me. Solid frame, hard top and only cost $500. I sold my grand Cherokee 1999 with the V8 for about a 1000 and got that Jeep immediately. Did good by me for a couple of years but it left me wanting and that is why I sold it last month and I got myself the Wrangler Rubicon 05.

For a few years of owning that TJ knew I wanted another one of that model. After comparing to contrasting it with some of the newer jeeps have been coming out I think the TJ actually was the last real Wrangler made. I distinctly recall reading an article about how the developers of the Newest model actually considered removing the exterior hinges. Reading those words I knew those people had lost the thread and why people like the Jeep so much in the 1st place..
TJ for life!

Because with a sciatic problem CJ's are out. YJ's... spent too many years hating on the ones my friends had. Again leaf springs. JK...have no soul. Just like any Corolla or impala. And 4 door...don't get me started on that! Had a XJ. Good car. Note the word car. A real off road vehicle has a frame.
TJ is still a real Jeep. Easy enough to work on. And easy enough to ride in. And most importantly it makes me feel YOUNG!!!!

Reactions: DrDmoney
Had been out of a Jeep for 25 years . Loved the look of a CJ 7 more than any model, but realized they were antiques now. My shop guy has had everything, he said “get a TJ, and expect to pay 13-15k for a nice one”

When I really looked at them , I realized they had taken the CJ-7 overall appearance , modernized it, and had a hit.

No regrets .

Reactions: DrDmoney and JLLJ
I own one for all of the reasons stated above. I had a Cherokee XJ with the 4.0 engine and knew the type of no nonsense work horse it was.

I walked away from a 2 door JL at the last minute. It was $29k and I would have had to finance it for 2 years. Bought a 2004 TJ for $11k. I've had to put a lot into it for unexpected repairs but I'm not in debt. The other day I was driving it and thought. .....it was more fun to drive than the JL. I made the right decision.

Reactions: jazngab
I got a TJ because in 2002 when my YJ was on it's death bed, a TJ was still one of the best values out there. Had I known it was to be a rustomatic iron oxide bomb, I might have made another choice. I still have it and operate on the cancer as it sets in simply because my wallet just won't let me spend what something new costs these days....

Reactions: bromel
The TJ I have now is our 7th Jeep. I have always loved XJ's since I bought my first one a 89 Limited then I bought a 90 limited. after a few years I bought a 2000 TJ sold it and bought a 98 XJ Classic which I still own. Then the wife wanted a Rubicon Unlimited. Then last year we sold it and got her a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk which is her driver. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted another TJ and bought the one I an building now so we are Jeep folks. Here are a few photos of our Jeep's.

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_E0060 (2).JPG

10670190_723339971037266_1429118385829036082_n(1).jpg

21430103_1458378147533441_8122559923321861368_n.jpg

67769561_2363680903669823_5827231238586368_n.jpg