Why does it smell like plastic burning? Thats because we're on fire

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Babe, do you swell plastic burning? Ya, thats weird? Ya thats because we're on fire, get the dog out NOW, Get a fire extinguisher, Holy shit, WTF?
anyway, the fire is out, just melted a bunch of wires under the dash and some carpet. Looks like the wire that follow the cable from the steering column down to the shifter? And runs up under the dash somewhere. Fortunately we were at a Harbor Freight in Watertown, NY and not on some back country road in the wilderness, or blowing down Rt81 at 65mph.
anyone know how to get these fittings apart? And why didn't a fuse blow? and what these wires are called
1658516896590.png

1658516916473.png

1658516931088.png

1658516947300.png
in the first pix, whats that wire that is above the shift cable? In the last pix, the cable that burned up is the big gray connector? How the hell do you get that apart, that cable goes to the steering column. any help would be appreciated.
Oh ya, Im going to need a new shift indicator, and the white support piece that goes around it

does anyone know what the cable/harness is called? I don't even know what to ask for? Its the cable that runs from the steering column ( the barrel looking thing in Pix #2 to the shifter? where that big gray connector with the spring around the end of the connector goes?

Hey Babe, do you swell plastic burning? Ya, thats weird? Ya thats because we're on fire, get the dog out NOW, Get a fire extinguisher, Holy shit, WTF?
anyway, the fire is out, just melted a bunch of wires under the dash and some carpet. Looks like the wire that follow the cable from the steering column down to the shifter? And runs up under the dash somewhere. Fortunately we were at a Harbor Freight in Watertown, NY and not on some back country road in the wilderness, or blowing down Rt81 at 65mph.
anyone know how to get these fittings apart? And why didn't a fuse blow? and what these wires are called
View attachment 345051

View attachment 345053

View attachment 345054

View attachment 345055in the first pix, whats that wire that is above the shift cable? In the last pix, the cable that burned up is the big gray connector? How the hell do you get that apart, that cable goes to the steering column. any help would be appreciated.
Oh ya, Im going to need a new shift indicator, and the white support piece that goes around it

I am not sure of the connectors but worst case, unhook your battery and splice in a new piece of wire for each section that’s fucked and see if you can get it going.

Reactions: Jmac00
The one going to the steering column with the big grey connector is your shift interlock cable. It prevents you from shifting out of park unless the key is on and the brake pedal is depressed. It also prevents you from pulling the key out of the ignition if the Jeep is off while still in gear.

Not necessary, but I’d want it in my Jeep.

The one going to the steering column with the big grey connector is your shift interlock cable. It prevents you from shifting out of park unless the key is on and the brake pedal is depressed. It also prevents you from pulling the key out of the ignition if the Jeep is off while still in gear.

Not necessary, but I’d want it in my Jeep.

so the wires that go along that cable, are the electronics that are the interlock

View attachment 345051

View attachment 345053

View attachment 345054

View attachment 345055in the first pix, whats that wire that is above the shift cable? In the last pix, the cable that burned up is the big gray connector? How the hell do you get that apart, that cable goes to the steering column. any help would be appreciated.

Push in the tabs and slide the cable back out of the backet. Is that the cable from the shifter to the column that melted? If so check your ground cables to the engine and firewall.

I am not sure of the connectors but worst case, unhook your battery and splice in a new piece of wire for each section that’s fucked and see if you can get it going.

thats my next move, I have 18-2 thermostat cable, I might try that just to get it moving. We live in our RV, so I need to get this fixed pretty quick. Not entirely critical, but I hate chasing parts in a 32 motor home, LOL

Push in the tabs and slide the cable back out of the backet. Is that the cable from the shifter to the column that melted? If so check your ground cables to the engine and firewall.

thats one of them. I have to get under the dash and see what else melted. There maybe another harness that might need replacing, Not real sure just yet, I'll tackle that in the morning.

thats my next move, I have 18-2 thermostat cable, I might try that just to get it moving. We live in our RV, so I need to get this fixed pretty quick. Not entirely critical, but I hate chasing parts in a 32 motor home, LOL

If you are retired military, Drum has a great auto hobby shop you could rent a bay to work on it.

Reactions: AndyG
SO this is the other end of that steering interlock cable. How does this come apart? I tool the little metal clip off, but it didn't seem to wan to come out?? any suggestions

1658542103256.png

Found the problem, but how to fix it without buying an entire new wire harness. Im guessing the silver box is some kind of ignition, airbag control, that ties into the main harness under the instrument cluster, near the fire wall. Im trying to UN-TAPE that area without damaging anything else. But with a bad back, Im not having all that much fun. I guess the next question is, what caused this thing to get so hot, that it would melt the wires
Anyone with some insight ?
1658940966412.png

1658940988448.png

1658941013209.png

1658941043224.png

1658941260071.png

• Wow
Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
ya, it could have happened 30 miles into the wilderness on a fire trail/road with no cell service :oops: Fortunately it happened in Watertown, NY

HOME OF THE 10TH MOUNTAIN DIV 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Go 10th! They have an Awesome Museum now in Vail, and 10th Mountain Whiskey! A shop all dedicated to it and all, pretty good whiskey too! My son was a Plebe at West Point this past year, 10th does the training mostly, they rock!

Glad you got the wife and dog out…funny that the dog was the first worry! Ha

Reactions: Jmac00
ya, it could have happened 30 miles into the wilderness on a fire trail/road with no cell service :oops: Fortunately it happened in Watertown, NY

HOME OF THE 10TH MOUNTAIN DIV 🇺🇸🇺🇸

No help with this but worked with a guy from Watertown. If I recall correctly they get a ton of lake effect snow up there. Good luck