Why I bought a jeep

Kshollywood

image.jpeg
am I the only jeep tj owner that will never mud ride, rock climb, trail ride or let it get dirty?

Of course not. There's a huge number of Jeep owners that don't take there's off road at all. Mine is way too nice to do any rock crawling in, so I just stick to the overland type stuff.

If I was going to buy a Jeep for rock crawling I would buy one that was already beat to hell. No sense in ruining one that has been really well kept!

Personally that's why I bought my jeep. For trail ridding, very little mud, and just taking the beaten path. That's also the reason I bought a 3k one versus 13k. I have 2 other nicer vehicles to keep clean and look pretty while the tj is just a toy.

Reactions: JP13
I'll likely never mod mine to rock crawl though I can appreciate those that do. I will go off-roading and trail riding in it.

I'd say half the fun of owning a jeep is riding in it because topless with no doors just rules!

The other half is putting some mud on the tires, cleaning it all up, and doing it all over again.

Mud
Rinse
Repeat

Hey, that'd be a cool bumper sticker! :)

Reactions: JP13 and Tristan
I bought mine for $4500.00 and drive it to work daily.
It's my 3rd TJ in the past ten years. It seems I can't live without one. It's nice to have a fun convertible in the summer and a rig that goes through the deepest snow in winter.

You can do a lot with a jeep with only a lift, brake lines and quick discos.

I got my XJ to take me into the backcountry, run fire roads and get me everywhere (my dd). I will do the the same to the tj.

I agree though, I'm not going to run the chutes at Kelly flats or the quarry on Chrystal Mountain. Too nice of a vehicle for that.

Reactions: Chris
I bought mine for daily driving, fun beyond the end of the pavement, capability to travel in severe weather, road trips, getting around traffic and because the TJ's 4.0 is a great engine with plenty of room to work under the hood.

If I just wanted to be restricted to the pavement in a nice convertible, I would have bought a sports car. To each their own. Enjoy the journey.

I bought mine to rock crawl and do serious off-road obstacles however the days that I drive it to work (and sit in LA traffic) I throughly enjoy it.

Reactions: Ron505
I bought my jeep on a whim. I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I've ridden motorcycles for years. After we had our first child, I found myself looking for something the whole
Family could enjoy. I initially bought an 01 mustang GT. Great looking car. Black on black leather. Interior was prestine. We had the whole family in the car once.My wife and I drove it to dinner once. We just didn't enjoy it. I decided we needed somthing we could take camping, and do more than just putter around town on. I wanted convertible and 4x4. Jeep was a no brainer. Now we drive the jeep everywhere.

0DBD7464-1669-40EE-BD27-B075ECF5B0EE_zpsgypojag5.jpg

great topic. I always had some vehicle to take me off road deep into the woods of NE Pa. 4x4 or usually a dirt bike or dual purpose cycle. At age 48 last year with two kids 12 &14 I realized if I was ever to take them with me (and the wife) into the woods to experience all the good stuff that will stick with them, I'd better do it quick. A Jeep popped into mind although I never had one before and began passively looking for one. Found Her about 2 wks later and fell in love; we all know the story here. I do remember my hands trembling after the purchase and taking Her home to meet the family. I have accomplished my goal of building new family memories they will remember long after I'm gone and now at 13 & 15 they both want Jeeps. Long live the TJ !!!

Reactions: Ron505 and kt99tj
You can do both. I said that I wasn't going to subject mine to this or that, but it still cleans up good after two years of trails/rock crawling. This was last Sunday....went trail/river riding in the morning, then cleaned it up in the afternoon.

View attachment 5393

View attachment 5395

View attachment 5394

Agree! You can do both.
Stinger has seen plenty of rock crawling and doesn't look like it. I keep it clean both for looks and to be able to see if there is a problem(something broken). I am now on my 13th trail type 4x4, 7 of the CJ, YJ, TJ series and two Willys. All have seen double duty.