Why is it important to keep weight down on a TJ?

My answer is because the vehicles power is just enough -on the road 40-50 more horses would be a joy-

at the same time, off road in rocks the 4.0 is actually lethal. I have a V8 TJ, and bear in mind I’m not totally dialed with it and it sure isn’t dialed in either, it can be a handful if you aren’t careful, where the 4.0 is smooth, precise and just keeps going with no drama. Oh the V8 is fun , but the 4.0 is pretty effective ...but certainly doesn’t need any weight hindrance.

Last edited:
My answer is because the vehicles power is just enough -on the road it really 40-50 more horses would be a joy-

at the same time, off road in rocks the 4.0 is actually lethal. I have a V8 TJ, and bear in mind I’m not totally dialed with it and it sure isn’t dialed in either, it can be a handful if you aren’t careful, where the 4.0 is smooth, precise and just keeps going with no drama. Oh the V8 is fun , but the 4.0 is pretty effective ...but certainly doesn’t need any weight hindrance.
What V8 do you have in your TJ?

My answer is because the vehicles power is just enough -on the road it really 40-50 more horses would be a joy-

X2, V8s are fun though offroad one wouldn't help me in the least on the trail types I prefer.

What V8 do you have in your TJ?

Dodge magnum 5.9 V-8

The standard 5.9 L produced 234.0 PS (172.0 kW; 230.0 HP) at 4,000 rpm and 447 N·m (45.6 kg·m, 329.4 ft·lb) at 3,250 rpm of torque. This engine was upgraded in 1998 to 249.0 PS (183.0 kW; 245.0 HP) at 4,000 rpm and 454.0 N·m (46.3 kg·m, 334.6 ft·lb) at 3,250 rpm. The performance-oriented R/T version was rated for 249.0 PS (183.0 kW; 245.0 HP) at 4,000 rpm and 468.0 Nm (47.7 kg·m; 345.4 ft·lb).

X2, V8s are fun though offroad one wouldn't help me in the least on the trail types I prefer.
Certainly depends a lot on where you wheel. Out here, we can’t always crawl for many reasons, and being able to throw the coals to it is the difference between getting up an obstacle or not. ‘Course, that also means everything down stream on the driveline has to be up to the task.

Certainly depends a lot on where you wheel. Out here, we can’t always crawl for many reasons, and being able to throw the coals to it is the difference between getting up an obstacle or not. ‘Course, that also means everything down stream on the driveline has to be up to the task.
True and here in the south you get those oppurtunities for sure, and to me it’s just sort of something I wanted to say I had once in my life.

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
It’s a Dodge 5.9 I’m having a ball with it, learning a lot, driving other members nuts with questions, scaring my wife and generally being a maniac.

While a V-8 isn't needed in some types of terrain there just isn't anything as much FUN as dropping your foot on that skinny pedal and hearing those cylinders come to life. It's got to be one of my favorite mods I've done to my TJ. But I also get it isn't always needed and for some it's not what they want. It's what has always made Jeeps so much fun. Make it yours and don't matter what anyone else thinks.

Of course having those extra ponies help if you've got a rig that needs to go on a diet too.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and AndyG
I am sure on board with you guys with a V8. Innovation has come a long ways. On your next build you might consider an LS. Mine is a lighter all aluminum and more powerful LS 5.3.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
I am sure on board with you guys with a V8. Innovation has come a long ways. On your next build you might consider an LS. Mine is a lighter all aluminum and more powerful LS 5.3.

Yes the LS family is a great choice and has come down in price a TON since I built my TJ in 2005. At that time you weren't gunna touch a LS engine for under $5K and that was just for the engine. It was about the same price for a Hemi at the time.
And while I can agree the LS is a great platform I am still glad I went with my Dodge V-8. Once it's running again I plan to get a spin or two on a dyno so we can see what is possible from the magnum engines.

Anyone who has driven a Dodge Ram p/u with the 5.2 & then a 5.9 can tell you that the advertised numbers just didn't match what the butt dyno was saying. And for ease of installation plus the cost the magnum engines are still a viable choice. That is not to say that the LS isn't a good choice either.

Reactions: 5632
What’s your setup? Which trans? Is there a build thread? Harness? Tuning? Gauges? Transfer case?

Looks like I’m headed towards an LS3 so interested to know what others are doing.

It is not just total weight you need to manage.... but where the weight is stowed and how it affects your cog.

On old mountain mining roads.... off camber, cliffside, going from rut to rut with a tire in the air.... makes one rethink how important that yeti cooler or jerry can on the roof really are.

If your lite and tight... then low and slow is easier to do.

4L60E trans and Advanced Adaptors transfer case adaptor.

How about the specs on your engine & transmission? Other stuff like what are you using for dash gauges? What about engine tune?
What about the wiring harness? There has to be more to this than just go to Novak or a Atlas transfer case.

Novak can provide almost everything you will need including wiring harness. They are the greatest people to work with and to get the best advise possible. I also have a Holley A/C drive kit, a radiator from Superior Radiator, transfer case short shaft kit from Teraflex, Sanderson headers, Tom Wood's drive shafts, Lokar shifter, etc. When working with Mopar gauges there are all sorts of problems and experiences to be had.

• Haha