Why is my TJ not selling?

I agree with the above. It doesn't look like a bad Jeep for someone who wants to use it for an off road toy. I've seen, and bought, worse. If you don't have time for a detail just grab a can of some trim restorer and spray the top, bumpers and tires. Hose it down and take some new pictures while its still wet. I do appreciate that your not trying to advertise it as more than it is. Sometimes it just takes time to find the right buyer.

Reactions: cjaama
You should post detailed pictures of the frame, underside, and engine. If you can get the nutserts and body mounts out (without spinning) you should post that information.

I'd be interested in an inexpensive TJ. I can live with a beat interior and exterior, but a rusty frame and underside is a deal breaker.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
There are lot's of "scammers" out there and it is always on the back of everyone's mind.
I suggest you go back to the blue book and list the price exactly what the book value says.
If you list the price too low, more likely they suspect that you have an agenda.

It will also help to take it to the trail, off-road dirt and background photos. You need to sell it's "ruggedness" (not the prettiness) since TJs are more attractive that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjaama and Xposure
98 TJ 4.0 5spd newer engine 243xxx on body and frame trans and t-case have less than 100xxx according to the PO shifts perfect and 4x4 engages smoothly no reason to believe he lied needs front seats and cosmetic stuff
Your ride has no "Curb Appeal", my brother. Other than the hard top, I can't see why I would want to buy it.

You don't list the very basics of the Jeep in your ad. Auto, 5-speed? Does it have A/C?

You are using one long run on sentence in the ad, try using a comma or two.

New motor? Does that mean a new motor from Jeep/Mopar? Pics of new motor?

Newer Trans? Newer than what?

You tell us you really want it gone twice...why?

If it were me? I'd go find some used off road tires on CL or a tire shop and put them on the Jeep. Nobody wants to spend 3500+ on a car and have to go out right away to the tire shop. Most would like to drive it for a bit before throwing down $1000 on tires.

Lot of good advice in this thread.

Just my opinion, doesn't mean a thing.

Good Luck.

At the least, wash it. Get those tires clean. I would suggest taking the back wheel caps off too, so that it’s more ‘uniform’. Absolutely add interior photos.

@tman66 and some of the others above made good suggestions for the ad copy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its all about the pictures.
Your pictures of your Jeep has 2 time periods. One has cut bumpers, the other has bumer caps.
You need take better pics of it inside and out. Clean it up. Looks like it could be a project.
Just my opinion!

Its all about the pictures.
Your pictures of your Jeep has 2 time periods. One has cut bumpers, the other has bumer caps.
You need take better pics of it inside and out. Clean it up. Looks like it could be a project.
Just my opinion!

X2 to this.

One of the most frustrating things to me when I'm looking to buy anything (especially vehicles) is when the seller takes low quality pictures, and very few of them.

Craigslist lets you upload 24 photos these days, and they allow them to be high resolution photos as well.

Take your photos at the right time of day (when the sun is starting to go down, usually around 7 or 8 PM in the Summer), and take very detailed photos with a good camera or phone.

I'm seriously not kidding about that... Good photos can make or break a sale, and when people see a well written ad with tons of information (honest information) and good photos, it makes them feel confident about buying from you.

I've always had no problem selling things because I write long, detailed for sale ads, go over any issues, and take excellent photos. I've actually had a number of buyers compliment me over my ads in the past when I sold vehicles on Craigslist.

There is only one reason that anything, including Jeeps, doesn't sell - asking price is too high. Period. End of story.

Don't believe me? Drop the price to $1000 bucks and watch how quickly it goes.....

Reactions: Wrangriff
There is only one reason that anything, including Jeeps, doesn't sell - asking price is too high. Period. End of story.

Don't believe me? Drop the price to $1000 bucks and watch how quickly it goes.....

I agree with your statement but feel it's incomplete. "There is only one reason that anything, including Jeeps, doesn't sell - asking price is too high"... for the perceived value of the item. If he would spend time improving it's appearance the perceived value will increase along with the selling price.

I agree with your statement but feel it's incomplete. "There is only one reason that anything, including Jeeps, doesn't sell - asking price is too high"... for the perceived value of the item. If he would spend time improving it's appearance the perceived value will increase along with the selling price.

Agreed....but then the same asking price is for a Jeep in different (better) condition - my statement stands :)

And he spends more money fixing it up that he may or may not recoup.

But I am bad judge - I just bought an 2002 TJ X 4.0 Auto for $1300. I put a set of $225 JK wheels and tires on it with $80 adapters, and new battery and drove it home! Runs like a top!!! Pic is before I pressure washed it. Looks much better now!

IMG_20180715_181447.jpg

Reactions: KMG
If he doesn't want to put the effort towards doing anything to it to make it look better....doesn't cost anything to wash it and take the rear wheel covers off. Then he gets less money for it. Put a little effort towards the add and a little cleaner then more money. Common sense.

Huge improvement....get a shot of the motor and the underside of the TJ and your good to go.

Looking MUCH better....there is one pic where the drivers door is off and the seat is ripped up. I might would skip that pic. You want it to look as good as possible in your ad, its the first impression....then when they contact you just slowly ease them into the negatives like torn seat, rust on hood. It's not that your gonna hide any of it....just don't make it where they see negatives first. :)

Also...don't price it too low, if you don't give it much value then they will see it that way too....plus assume big issues.

Reactions: Chris