Why not use a padlock for a hood lock?

Not that many car thieves know how to pick locks but I watched a YouTube video last night showing the world's strongest padlock. It was a beast that requires two different keys to open. Many repeated hits from a high powered rifle failed to open it. It took maybe 5 minutes total to pick both lock cylinders to open it. I was pretty surprised how easily it was picked.

Not that many car thieves know how to pick locks but I watched a YouTube video last night showing the world's strongest padlock. It was a beast that requires two different keys to open. Many repeated hits from a high powered rifle failed to open it. It took maybe 5 minutes total to pick both lock cylinders to open it. I was pretty surprised how easily it was picked.
Yea, I doubt the knowledge is that common, but it is really easy to obtain for anyone that really to pick up for anyone that cares to learn. I mean, lockpick sets are dirt cheap and it's not a difficult concept to learn at an introductory level.

• Haha
Reactions: Equilibrium31

So, you're saying we should be worried about politicians taking our lock pick sets, rather than our guns?

I'm still curious about what this thing is all about?

And, picking a lock through 7 slots won't be easy...
Destroying a secondary hood latch assembly with a pry bar might be though.

I say, go with what works for you. Bottom line, for the most part, you only trying to slow the process down so that the thieves have to think about whether or not it's worth it. You know your neighborhood and the areas where you drive better than we do.

Personally, I'm leaning towards locking primary latches. Cheap? No. Possibly more effective? Maybe.

Reactions: americanwrkmule
If it deters an uncommitted thief, or at least slows them down long enough to get unwanted attention, or even better if it slows them down long enough to get caught, then great. If your security plan setup requires 14 different keys, getting under the Jeep, plus a phone call to get a password, then maybe you should look into hiring a full time guard, or taping a cardboard cutout of Dwayne Johnson, or Mama June to the grill.

Reactions: americanwrkmule
If it deters an uncommitted thief, or at least slows them down long enough to get unwanted attention, or even better if it slows them down long enough to get caught, then great. If your security plan setup requires 14 different keys, getting under the Jeep, plus a phone call to get a password, then maybe you should look into hiring a full time guard, or taping a cardboard cutout of Dwayne Johnson, or Mama June to the grill.
Agreed with this. The best security feature of just about any lock is the fact that when a thief looks at it, they see a lock.

I mean, on my middle console, I still use the lock to lock my stuff up when my top is down, even though the lock is busted and you rotate the core to unlock it using anything that fits in the keyhole, such as a screwdriver or pocket knife.

P.s. if you see my Jeep, please don't steal my stuff. :p

What do you call the thing in front of the radiator that looks like a tiny radiator for the AC? Let me know the official name and you won't have to correct me next time.
Did I correct you? Just poking a bit of fun at your expense. As stated, it is the condenser. The evaporator coil is in the HVAC box under the dash.

Reactions: EzPeezy
I have not yet seen one home made cargo cover that I did not consider ghetto bullshit.

check out some of these diy diamond plate tonneau covers, some look pretty tuff

Capture.JPG

check out some of these diy diamond plate tonneau covers, some look pretty tuff

View attachment 115715
I'm confused by two things, diamond plate is for floors, that is why it has the raised diamonds for non skid, and my glasses prescription is a bit overdue but I don't need them for the 18"monitor and I see nary a TJ one in those pics. (Unless my prescription is way overdue)

• Haha
Reactions: Chris