Why the 4 door models look off

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
I know they sell like hotcakes, but this photo sums up why I don't like the 4 door models. The 3rd window in the back completely kills the look.They may be more comfortable, they may be better suited for taking your whole family, they may get better fuel mileage, they may have better resale value, but they don't have the right proportions to be a Jeep. FWIW, I think the 2 door JK/JL are not too bad once the top is down. I don't think I would ever buy a 4 door Wrangler. Would get a nice Subaru Outback instead!

(Not my TJ btw)

tDJxhFp.jpg

Last edited:
Ever get in a TJ and say "man I wish I had more cargo space"?

Ever get in your TJ and say "I wish passengers didn't have to shoe horn into the back seat"?

Do you think 4 door pick ups look "off"? What about 2 door Cadillac STs?

Chalk it up to your personal digression. I owned a JKU and now a TJ. Each has its merits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ever get in your TJ and say "I wish passengers didn't have to shoe horn into the back seat"?

Chalk it up to your personal digression. I owned a JKU and now a TJ. Each has its merits.

Oh yes, it's totally a personal opinion, nothing more. I'm sure the 4 doors have their merits compared to the 2 door, otherwise they won't be selling as much as they do. I was just pointing out why I feel they looked off to me, nothing more.

As for pick up trucks .. they all are massive now and getting even bigger :)

I agree 100%. I don't mind the 2-door models of the newer Wranglers, but I personally just can't ever bring myself to really love the 4-door look.

It's more convenient no doubt, but I didn't buy my Jeep for convenience, I bought it for fun.

And coming from someone who owns a 2015 Subaru Outback (we own one as well), they are fantastic daily drivers. I trust my Subaru far more than I trust that JKU, that's for sure.

Reactions: UpperMI
JKUs are a lot like my LJ. Just don’t look right without a decent lift and some bigger tires. I’d love the extra space to haul around the teen but still can’t bring myself to seriously consider one.

JKUs are a lot like my LJ. Just don’t look right without a decent lift and some bigger tires. I’d love the extra space to haul around the teen but still can’t bring myself to seriously consider one.

THAT I can agree with. The 4 doors need at least a 2" lift and 33s to look right.

Before the JK came out always liked the look of the Humvee truck in Gone in 60 Seconds (the remake) and thought a more compact version would be even better. Then jeep made it happen.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I have always seen the 4-door JK more as a replacement for the XJ than as a true Wrangler- it never really fit the CJ/YJ/TJ mold in my eyes. I think that is why most JKU's rarely see dirt, just like the XJ's before them. When my kids still lived at home I owned XJ's since I needed the extra room, but before that I was a CJ owner and now I have an LJ. Different lifestyle, different body style. On the other hand, I built my XJ's so I could thrash them pretty hard, so maybe I'm defeating my own argument...

Gave the XJ to my daughter when I bought the LJ.
IMG_2848.JPG

Last edited:
I don't mind the JKU....what looks off is the body colored hardtops and fenders, when they are black it looks fine. I do not like the blue version I have been seeing lately with the stripe and white top....
View attachment 53278

I'm probably fairly weird but I like that blue/ white 4 door. It may be the only 4 door that I would buy if my kids weren't driving yet.

What I was on my way to posting, before seeing that Jeep, was that the 4 doors came to be for the same reason the leaf springs and then the straight 6s went away, it's what they figured would get the most non-off roading people to buy a Jeep.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone here, just saying why I think they probably happened. Heck, come to think of it, my growing up in the 1970's might be why I think that and maybe even why I like the blue/ white one. Who knows?

To me a jku looks odd with out a lift and tires plus it needs a rampage style soft top. Then they look good but i would never get one. My wife want me to though and get rid of my tj. Nope not happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EJD and JMT
To me a jku looks odd with out a lift and tires plus it needs a rampage style soft top. Then they look good but i would never get one. My wife want me to though and get rid of my tj. Nope not happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smart man! Stay strong brother

Reactions: tomtaylz
** Side tangent **
@ Original Post: That teal TJ in the picture is gorgeous! That's actually just about what my perfect TJ would look like. Don't get me wrong, I love my black TJ, but I'd repaint it that color if I could. Also, if I was ever to swap my fenders, I'd go for the rivetted look like those (was never a fan of the look for the flat fenders or other versions that give much more room).

** Back to the topic at hand **

Nope and nope. But I also don't have kids and took out my back seats, lol.

For people who use their Jeeps as family cars, I totally understand the 4-door option. If I had kids, I would actually consider it, even though I still don't like JKs overall. But the fact that there is demand for a 4-door version doesn't surprise me at all. What does surprise me is how much more popular it is.

I don't mind the JKU....what looks off is the body colored hardtops and fenders, when they are black it looks fine. I do not like the blue version I have been seeing lately with the stripe and white top....
View attachment 53278

I agree that the unlimiteds with the black top look better compared to the body colored hardtops, but they still look off in terms of proportion. Sort of a cross between a hummer H2/H3 and a limo and not in a good way.

It's amazing how much difference the hardtop color actually makes.