Why the attitude towards Metalcloak?

Wheeling diver

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Gentlemen, I have been on here for a little while now and have noticed that there are several well respected individuals that really don't like Metalcloak. I am not trying to start anything, but why? Is it just a rivalry thing or is there more to it that I don't know? I ask because the garage I go to when I just don't have the time or knowledge really likes their products. Sorry if I am stepping on toes, but if you don't know and don't ask you never will.

most of the dislike for metalcloak comes from their lock&load system it seems as well as the arched fenders which before research i must admit i liked. i cant comment on the lock&load suspension as i havent ever been interested in it but the disdain for the arched fenders comes from the fact that the hood line isnt moved up effectively giving you the same clearance as any other flat fender. The claims about clearance and tire size with the arched fenders may physically fit on flat ground going straight but up travel with their claimed 35's no lift and 37's with 3" is almost non-existant. finally it seems their springs are rated at a height if you have all of their heavy armor on your rig but as far as springs are concerned i'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in.
these are at least the things i have picked up over the past few years.

Their springs require more bumpstop because of the top coil bind. With no real gain in free length over a spring like Currie. They lie about the tire size you can run with their fenders. Their 6 pack shocks have a multitude of reported premature failure. Metal cloak duro flex joints have zero degrees more flex than a comparable joint and their video test doesn’t show the whole story (joint are limited by the bracket). And their joints have a multitude of premature failures reported. I have no vested interest in bashing a company - but I believe that quality products matter and the claims a company chooses to make should be backed up. In a thread on a different forum, metal cloak responded to some inquiries about fender gains - and showed a ramp picture. When asked to turn the wheel or show how they could even try to steer at bump there was zero response.

Last edited:
I didn't realize everyone needed to like the same thing.

I'll take note of this, and try to do better in the future.
Exactly..and start with my posts. They are very likable.

We all like one thing for sure ...TJ's .

I'm not sure how much "groupthink" we have , but we sure have some common experiences and shared knowledge I love.

I have reasons why I didn't choose Metalcloak over another option that I think were fairly well thought out. I had their front track bar for many years. It was ok. Some aspects of it are not good at all, but not bad enough a priority to change until recently.

At the end of the day, I'm not really anti-Metalcloak. I just want things they can't provide. And often the things they claim to provide, I don't see the value of. One thing I know they are not is a high end parts supplier, but they are very far from the worst

2A80A638-B32F-43AA-BED5-4D12E330BF62.gif

Reactions: DuncLJ
It boils down to MetalCloak disrespecting our TJ's.;)

Some will get it, some won't. It's an inside joke...?
I must be an idiot,
I have reasons why I didn't choose Metalcloak over another option that I think were fairly well thought out. I had their front track bar for many years. It was ok. Some aspects of it are not good at all, but not bad enough a priority to change until recently.

At the end of the day, I'm not really anti-Metalcloak. I just want things they can't provide. And often the things they claim to provide, I don't see the value of. One thing I know they are not is a high end parts supplier, but they are very far from the worst
Thanks, I had seen Blaine boycott the site and recently noticed your headline, so I appreciate your answer.

Thanks, I had seen Blane boycott the site and recently noticed your headline, so I appreciate your answer.

They are a very good marketing company with a lot of noise surrounding them. Once you can cut through their crap and better understand how things really work, you can start to make some more objective assessments of what they are and what they aren't.

Last edited: