Why The Name "Wrangler?"

I've mentioned this before but TJ's were never called Wranglers in Canada. GM had a pickup truck named Wrangler and the name simply wasn't available to Jeep. As far as I know all JK's used the Wrangler name.

Names are a funny thing. I have a Cherokee and a Comanche. In these days of political correctness I'm not sure new models with those names would be approved.

Reactions: Head Lice
that statement right there in and of itself is crazy to me........................ they remove 1 more thing and not a single kid is gonna know anything about that culture.

they are politically correcting themselves into obscurity........... ask any kid where are indians from and 9/10 will tell you the middle east...........20 yrs ago if asked we would have said nevada or arizona or south dakota.

they are a couple generations from gone. why hasten it by removing the last few things, even if they are not the best representation in some instances at least it is representation.
they are 3 sports teams away from being just a memory in the old history books.

sorry for the quick derail.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I've mentioned this before but TJ's were never called Wranglers in Canada. GM had a pickup truck named Wrangler and the name simply wasn't available to Jeep. As far as I know all JK's used the Wrangler name.

Names are a funny thing. I have a Cherokee and a Comanche. In these days of political correctness I'm not sure new models with those names would be approved.

This brings up the fact that Chief Pontiac of the Ottawa tribe . . . . . nowadays may approve of having an automobile and a model (Chief - Chieftain) named after him. Seems a nicer/larger tribute than 'Tesla' . . ?

I believe "present" was about 2017 or 2018 when this was made. Chief Wahoo is no longer an alternate logo.
C3RPMtMW8AEVIQc.jpg

Back to the Jeep name. I don't think Renegade (someone who rejects lawful or conventional behavior) is quite where we want to be. As much as I dislike the government and their stupid laws I don't always have to reject them to go off roading. I guess I do sometimes.

I also kinda figured that maybe Levis wanted too much $$$ to be associated with Jeep so Jeep said "Screw you too!" and used the word Wrangler because it's not only a usable word but also some competitor to Levis.

Who knows maybe at some point Jeep will be selling Citizens of Humanity Charlotte High Rise Straight Jeans to the soccer moms. And no I've never heard of them. I just randomly found them in my search for most popular jeans. I also think some pictures from behind might help. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Zorba
And I have a pair of pants!
That’s me ...I didn’t like the name In 87, Wranglers were pants...and not the most popular ,til George Strait and the western world got ‘em back rolling . I still don’t use it . I say Jeep or TJ.

Renegade I loved, back then , but today it doesn’t at all fit the vehicle that bears that name.

Incidentally , there is a new movie involves a hit and run, and a Wrangler is the key character.

One of my favorite things about the TJ Wrangler is that it doesn’t look like a wrangler...it looks like a CJ-7 . This leads us to a different thread topic nearly ...if not Wrangler , What? Remember this vehicle was a return to classic design and replaced a vehicle that had polar reception, the YJ.

To me , just an alpha numeric designation would have been fine , Like CJ-9 , etc.

Going further , the “Rubicon” designation , was a huge hit ..both on the trail and the dealer lot , good name for what it is . That was a marketing win. Still going strong 17 years later.

Reactions: Zorba
I say Jeep or TJ.

If I'm talking to someone who I think knows what a TJ is, I use TJ.

Otherwise, it's a Jeep.

Pretty much the only time it's a Wrangler is if I'm buying parts.

And I just bought some retro looking hood decals that say Wrangler and after reading and processing this thread I'm not sure why. :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Back to the Jeep name. I don't think Renegade (someone who rejects lawful or conventional behavior) is quite where we want to be. As much as I dislike the government and their stupid laws I don't always have to reject them to go off roading. I guess I do sometimes.

I was thinking more along the lines of the idea that conventional vehicles are made to be driven on the highway, but our Jeeps reject that idea and can go almost anywhere, be it the woods, crossing streams, rock crawling, etc. That is why I think Jeep "Renegade" may have been a better name for our Jeeps than "Wrangler."

I also kinda figured that maybe Levis wanted too much $$$ to be associated with Jeep so Jeep said "Screw you too!" and used the word Wrangler because it's not only a usable word but also some competitor to Levis.

Interesting theory, but that is quite a reach.

AndyG said:
Renegade I loved, back then , but today it doesn’t at all fit the vehicle that bears that name.

Yeah...you can say that again.

AndyG said:
One of my favorite things about the TJ Wrangler is that it doesn’t look like a wrangler...it looks like a CJ-7 . This leads us to a different thread topic nearly ...if not Wrangler , What? Remember this vehicle was a return to classic design and replaced a vehicle that had polar reception, the YJ.

To me , just an alpha numeric designation would have been fine , Like CJ-9 , etc.

Going further , the “Rubicon” designation , was a huge hit ..both on the trail and the dealer lot , good name for what it is . That was a marketing win. Still going strong 17 years later.

I like the idea of Cj-9, etc. I think that might have worked very well. I also agree that "Rubicon" is a very good name that describes that special model perfectly. And that gives me an idea: I removed the silly "Sport" decals from my 1998 Jeep, and now it looks like the "Wrangler" decal on the fender is the name of the trim package. It goes right along with the names of trim packages AMC used on the Jeep CJ, like: Golden Eagle, Renegade, Laredo, etc.

So instead of a Jeep Wrangler Sport, I can have a Jeep TJ Wrangler! Doesn't that sound cooler?

thumbnail_KIMG0295.jpg

Last edited:

I dunno...seems kindof a Renegade thing to say "I'll show those Jeep guys when I take my Fiat down Black Bear Pass!".

I didn't see it happen but I've heard rumors of someone taking one on this local trail rated "Difficult to Severe".

1588002308251.png

Not to say I advocate it or that I would ever consider owning one, just that some of their owners are a little nuts.

Reactions: AndyG and Head Lice
Wouldn't a TJ be a CJ-12?
CJ-8 is the last consecutive CJ.
CJ-10 was the last CJ number used.
YJ = CJ-11
TJ = CJ-12
LJ = CJ-13

I guess you could call one of them (YJ?) a CJ-9...

Reactions: AndyG
I'll get on board with never liking the Wrangler name. I would be curious as well as to how this name was chosen. As mentioned above, the only time I ever use it is when ordering parts. I think they have much better names on inferior vehicles that would have tied the jeep to its past better. Names like Liberty or Patriot, would have been a nice nod to the role the Jeep played in WWII.

Looking at the most prominent current use of Wranglers, which is vacation/overland trips, I think Jeep has some great names. But again, they are used on the wrong vehicles. Names like Compass, Latitude and other navigational terms would be great for a Wrangler.

Finally, if I could rename the Jeep, I would steal a package name from the Dodge pickup line. Its a name that recalls the hard working, adventure seeking spirit of the Mountains... The Jeep Prospector.

Seems to me all the Jeep brand names tie into each other. Think about it: Wrangler, Cherokee, Comanche, Honcho, Scrambler, even now we have Commander, Renegade, Liberty, Compass, Patriot, Gladiator. How do they tie in you ask? They're all pretty bad ass names! ;)
There's a lot of Old West nostalgia in the older names. Not so much in the newer ones. "Wrangler" was pretty much at the cut off.