Why the Pontiac Solstice

I like both but if I had to choose I'd take the Solstice.

Interesting story: GM also designed a Chevy version but it never went into production(obviously) IIRC it was a clean simple design much like the Solstice(which was the primary focus). The thing I do remember was one of the designers, for the Chevy I believe, was this stunning young designer they brought from the Cali design studio. She was gorgeous and always wore low cut tops and you never saw pantylines. LOL. It was difficult to concentrate working on the car with her around, the view from the front or the back was spectacular when she would bend over to closely examine the car. ;) 😍

GM created 3 versions of the Solstice. The Opel GT, Saturn Sky and Solstice. The only other version on the Kappa platform was the Deawoo G2X which was sold in Asia.

The Opel and Deawoo were almost identical to the Sky.

1598365222324.png

1598365239161.png

GM created 3 versions of the Solstice. The Opel GT, Saturn Sky and Solstice. The only other version on the Kappa platform was the Deawoo G2X which was sold in Asia.

The Opel and Deawoo were almost identical to the Sky.

View attachment 186058

View attachment 186059
Hmmm, I don't remember that one, the Opel. Maybe that was done in Europe. Like I said, the Chevy never got past prototype.

Hmmm, I don't remember that one, the Opel. Maybe that was done in Europe. Like I said, the Chevy never got past prototype.

Reading the Kappa Platform Wikipedia they mention that there was a concept on the Kappa platform for Chevy called the "Nomad". Was supposed to be a small hatchback of some sort to harken back to the original Nomad.

1598381542581.png

All of the Kappa platform variants started with GM's prototype for the Vauxhall VX Ligthtning.

1598381762243.png

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal
I used to think Miatas were lame little cars for stuck up girls, and guys who wear loafers and pink polo shirts. (Think 20 years ago). I got a chance to run some MX5 Cup cars at Road Atlanta in 2012 or 13. A well prepared Miata is a blast on the race track, at least until the the Ferrari racing team shows up to test a new car. We all stopped to listen to the song of a high rpm Italian motor being brutalized by a pro. Also got to fling some Mazda 3's with a ton of mods. One was claimed over 450bph and it would not keep traction under full throttle pretty much at all.

My only entry into cool small cars is below. Not mine, but I had one like it. Toyota Celica Turbo All Trac. Total sleeper back in the day, and a rare bird too. If you spun your tires, I had already won.

Oh, and the Saturn is way better looking than the Pontiac. I never did like Pontiacs late styling with the Solstice or the GTO.

IMG_1664 (1).jpg
IMG_1668 (1).jpg
IMG_1663 (1).jpg
1598387478153.png

I used to think Miatas were lame little cars for stuck up girls, and guys who wear loafers and pink polo shirts. (Think 20 years ago). I got a chance to run some MX5 Cup cars at Road Atlanta in 2012 or 13. A well prepared Miata is a blast on the race track, at least until the the Ferrari racing team shows up to test a new car. We all stopped to listen to the song of a high rpm Italian motor being brutalized by a pro. Also got to fling some Mazda 3's with a ton of mods. One was claimed over 450bph and it would not keep traction under full throttle pretty much at all.

My only entry into cool small cars is below. Not mine, but I had one like it. Toyota Celica Turbo All Trac. Total sleeper back in the day, and a rare bird too. If you spun your tires, I had already won.

Oh, and the Saturn is way better looking than the Pontiac. I never did like Pontiacs late styling with the Solstice or the GTO.

View attachment 186118View attachment 186119View attachment 186117View attachment 186120
The GTO was just plain sad

Reactions: Rick Flair

View attachment 186118View attachment 186119View attachment 186117View attachment 186120

I had an '89 red version of this car. At 50K I was going on my 3rd AWD gearbox. Great car when it ran but at that time Toyota was having it's issues with the AWD units. I actually traded it on a 91 Wrangler Sahara!

I had an '89 red version of this car. At 50K I was going on my 3rd AWD gearbox. Great car when it ran but at that time Toyota was having it's issues with the AWD units. I actually traded it on a 91 Wrangler Sahara!

I had a 1990 as a teen and straight up beat like it owed me money. Smoked the clutch and blew a CV joint once but it was durable. Talking WOT launches at every stop light, and never changed the oil. I feel sorry for the next owner. She was hurting when I traded it in on a Z-28.

Reading the Kappa Platform Wikipedia they mention that there was a concept on the Kappa platform for Chevy called the "Nomad". Was supposed to be a small hatchback of some sort to harken back to the original Nomad.

View attachment 186106

All of the Kappa platform variants started with GM's prototype for the Vauxhall VX Ligthtning.

View attachment 186108
We did the Nomad too, it was a different car. The Nomad was a show car whereas the Chevy version of the Solstice was Just an exterior full size model. Must have never seen the light of day outside the company. I'll have to ask my superintendent about it.

Reactions: Rooscooter
We did the Nomad too, it was a different car. The Nomad was a show car whereas the Chevy version of the Solstice was Just an exterior full size model. Must have never seen the light of day outside the company. I'll have to ask my superintendent about it.
Back in those days I don't remember rumors about a chevy version of it but I do remember hearing about a possible Buick version.

The Nomad was reported to have been on a "modified Kappa" platform with a similar Saturn model.

Of those three, the Pontiac version is head and shoulders above the other two. Those look like Hondas.

Hondas? All I see is a small convertible car with a fairly decent looking grill instead of something that reminds me of Pontiac's last Trans Ams. OK, I'll admit the Solstice does look better than the latest Trans Am but I don't really like the front of any Firebirds or Trans Ams after 1978.

Hondas? All I see is a small convertible car with a fairly decent looking grill instead of something that reminds me of Pontiac's last Trans Ams. OK, I'll admit the Solstice does look better than the latest Trans Am but I don't really like the front of any Firebirds or Trans Ams after 1978.
Actually, I probably should have said "Acura" - that grill looks very Japanese in any event. Its "OK", but the Pontiac's looks better to my eye. No accounting for taste and all that...

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ