Wide Open Design's TJ and LJ Tube Chassis

It really is. Hard to beat that for sure. The real dough is spent on axles, links, and the engine.

I'm very interested in this chassis, joined up just to ask here since no one seems to be talking about it anywhere.

For the 3200 base price buy in, what exactly do I get, and what do I need to complete it?

Are link mounts and a cage necessary? I just want something better than a rusty TJ to go trail ride in.

I'm very interested in this chassis, joined up just to ask here since no one seems to be talking about it anywhere.

For the 3200 base price buy in, what exactly do I get, and what do I need to complete it?

Are link mounts and a cage necessary? I just want something better than a rusty TJ to go trail ride in.

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to answer your questions about this chassis with much certainty. There are only a few TJs out these with one of these under them. What I can say for sure is that this ins't going to be a replacement frame if that is what you're looking for. All of the builds using a WOD chassis end up being more buggies than TJs.

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to answer your questions about this chassis with much certainty. There are only a few TJs out these with one of these under them. What I can say for sure is that this ins't going to be a replacement frame if that is what you're looking for. All of the builds using a WOD chassis end up being more buggies than TJs.

I don't want a replacement frame. I don't even currently own a Jeep lol.

But for 3200 plus drivetrain and tub, I can make a solid argument I'd wind up with a better "Jeep" than I could buy and build for 10k.

I have no tube bender, and no desire to buy one. I want something more capable than a stock TJ, and I don't want to scour the earth looking for a frame that isn't crunchy. When I find one, after 4 year in Michigan, it'll be just like the rest of them anyway.

I also don't want a buggy, because I want to be able to wheel with my family, even in the winter. Which means doors, a top, and a heater.

So, it's this or Goatbuilt for me.

But for 3200 plus drivetrain and tub, I can make a solid argument I'd wind up with a better "Jeep" than I could buy and build for 10k.

I have no tube bender, and no desire to buy one. I want something more capable than a stock TJ, and I don't want to scour the earth looking for a frame that isn't crunchy. When I find one, after 4 year in Michigan, it'll be just like the rest of them anyway.

I also don't want a buggy, because I want to be able to wheel with my family, even in the winter. Which means doors, a top, and a heater.

There isn't really a right answer for your questions unfortunately. Once you get to the level of piecing together a custom tube chassis, drivetrain, and tub, it really is up to you to decide pretty much everything. The only thing TJ left if you decided to go with the WOD would be parts of the tub. If you're looking at goat built as well, I'd argue that you are pretty much trying to build a buggy with a roof and doors on it. That is very feasible and plenty of people have done it before, but it will require a lot more custom work and creative thinking with the chassis sitting in front of you.

Reactions: JDM and Chris
I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to start with a roller.

I spoke with them this afternoon, the Wide Open Design chassis requires the cage, it's a stressed, structural member. That makes the 3400 base price actually 5100.

I can make tabs and links without a problem, I'm not at all interested in bending any tube.

So, for me, any one of the Goat Built chassis's would be more appropriate, and cheaper.

The WOD Jeep chassis is designed for the family wheeling trips. It can be as mild or as wild as you want it.

The WOD Jeep chassis is a cross over between a buggy and a full bodied TJ or LJ. Built for leaf looking and/or hardcore rock crawler. Although it wouldn't be the best choice for bouncing. Its designed to a hardcore trail rig that can streeted and hit the hard stuff without worry.

Their Jeep chassis is designed to be fitted with one ton full size axles under it. Most of their builds utilize a front and rear 14 bolt from a full size GM one ton truck. They convert the rear GM 14 bolt into a steering axle and use 2 inch 40 spline inners and often they use 47 spline outers. All their fronts use kingpins and often 2.5 ton hubs.

There isn't really a right answer for your questions unfortunately. Once you get to the level of piecing together a custom tube chassis, drivetrain, and tub, it really is up to you to decide pretty much everything. The only thing TJ left if you decided to go with the WOD would be parts of the tub. If you're looking at goat built as well, I'd argue that you are pretty much trying to build a buggy with a roof and doors on it. That is very feasible and plenty of people have done it before, but it will require a lot more custom work and creative thinking with the chassis sitting in front of you.
Why cant you use the Jeep powertrain? Or why wouldn't you be able to use the factory interior?

I would argue that a WOD JC buyer can use a lot more TJ/LJ parts than just “parts of the tub.”

The WOD Jeep chassis allows for the ability to four link in the “correct spots” for proper geometry, along with other benefits that you cant find with a stock frame. -Adam’s post on isnta

E638F604-6B88-4C3C-903D-F1A5F40801C9.jpeg
E0C045C3-77F1-4B80-90A6-5C62485FB934.jpeg

Last edited:
To complete it you need to add:
  • Link Mounts = Added Cost
  • Shock Mounts = Added Cost
  • Drivetrain Mounts = Added Cost
  • 6 Point Cage = Added Cost
Optioned out this way so the home builder can build it like he/she wants it. Be it, a different style cage, etc.

Why cant you use the Jeep powertrain? Or why wouldn't you be able to use the factory interior?

I would argue that a WOD JC buyer can use a lot more TJ/LJ parts than just “parts of the tub.”

The WOD Jeep chassis allows for the ability to four link in the “correct spots” for proper geometry, along with other benefits that you cant find with a stock frame. -Adam Woodlee’s post on isnta

View attachment 103438View attachment 103439

You're gonna swap a whole tub over to a custom tube chassis, put one ton axles under it, and then put the stock 4.0, transmission, and transfer case back in it? I've done a lot of research on buggy builds over the past two years as I intend to turn my Jeep into a trailer queen one day. One thing that is completely obvious from the start is that if you're going to build a Jeep out to handle the hardest trails in the country, do it right the first time.

You can argue that you could basically swap a stock Jeep onto one of these chassis and you would be right. But why in the world would you do that? I'm a bit unclear as to why you are trying to make it seem like swapping in one of these chassis is a walk in the park. This is not a chassis intended for your everyday wheeler.