Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I started off today thinking I was gunna get the wheel hubs rebuilt and ready to install on my front axle. Now I'd posted pictures WAY back when I took my front axle apart how rusted everything was due to me parking the rig with water sitting in the axle.
Trying to get the bearings out of the wheel hub was a PITA...

TONS of PB Blaster and letting stuff soak and then a slide hammer.

20210904_123420.jpg

20210904_124328.jpg

20210904_124246.jpg

20210904_124252.jpg

After some work I got one spindle done.

20210904_124325.jpg

Then started to work on the other spindle but the bugger would not come out.... Except the little one wasn't doing the trick.

20210904_124837.jpg

20210904_130706.jpg

So I had to break out the big dog and finally got the bearing out of the second spindle.

20210904_132437.jpg

These are what are known as small bearing spindles and were used on early Chevy Dana 44 axles. And of course are getting harder to find. After all that work I start to look a little closer at them and notice that the threads are buggered up BAD on one of the spindles.

20210904_134616.jpg

20210904_134635.jpg

20210904_134645.jpg

So I'm now shopping for PARTS....

And while I was at it I noticed that one of the hubs were bent (not round) so MORE parts. I'd already planned on getting new rotors and brake pads...

20210904_142742.jpg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Well I wish I could say that was painless but it wasn't. But I got all the parts ordered for the Jeep....... I think..

Of course there will be more I'm sure a lot more before I'm done but this was a big enough hit to my pocket book for a while. And most of the stuff should be here by next Friday.

I've had a Vanco hyd boost system on my TJ since 2005 and while I've always been happy with the braking capability of the stock brakes on the Ford/Chevy hybrd setup on my HP44 I'd also always wished for a little MORE. But I'd always been under the impression that there really wasn't much in the way of improved brakes. But while searching for all the other parts I needed yesterday I came across this kit offered by Wilwood for the D52 type brakes. This will mount in the stock caliper brackets but takes me from a single piston to a dual piston caliper.

1630882650631.png

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-11291-BK
Now I've yet to find anything for the TeraFlex rear brakes (8.8 disc) so I might just do pads.

I've had a Vanco hyd boost system on my TJ since 2005 and while I've always been happy with the braking capability of the stock brakes on the Ford/Chevy hybrd setup on my HP44 I'd also always wished for a little MORE. But I'd always been under the impression that there really wasn't much in the way of improved brakes. But while searching for all the other parts I needed yesterday I came across this kit offered by Wilwood for the D52 type brakes. This will mount in the stock caliper brackets but takes me from a single piston to a dual piston caliper.

View attachment 275196

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-11291-BK
Now I've yet to find anything for the TeraFlex rear brakes (8.8 disc) so I might just do pads.
I’d pick the brain of @mrblaine

he’s prob the single best source of brake knowledge out there.

is there newer OEM calipers that would work, the OEM stuff is really hard to beat.

I’d pick the brain of @mrblaine

he’s prob the single best source of brake knowledge out there.

is there newer OEM calipers that would work, the OEM stuff is really hard to beat.

I can't pick that brain.....

I'll give the Wilwood brakes a shot and see what I think of them. As we all know the rears don't do as much braking as the fronts so I'm not sure that the rear axle needs anything more than what it already it.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
So another possible issue with the Wilwood brakes is that they may not be able to handle all the pressure of my system. So it looks like I need to contact Wilwood and inquire as to what those calipers can handle.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
You sound like a great boss. Inefficiencies are always there, but you’re an encourager and motivator! 👍🏼

I'd never get any work done with a boss like Rich since we'd be talking Jeeps all day EVERY DAY.... Ok maybe 1 hour of work done a day. When everyone else was on break or lunch.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and JMT
I'd never get any work done with a boss like Rich since we'd be talking Jeeps all day EVERY DAY.... Ok maybe 1 hour of work done a day. When everyone else was on break or lunch.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Many of us only get 1 hour of work a day already. The rest of the time we spend on the forum talking to other Jeep peeps! LOL

Well most of the parts I ordered for my front axle will be here either today or tomorrow. So I can get the axle outer parts installed so I can then flex out my front axle and see if I have clearance.

New small bearing spindles form Parts Mike. On their web site the spindles are $179 each but found them on Ebay from Parts Mike and got them for $119 each.

New Raybestos hub & rotors off Amazon.

I already have all the bearings and seals as I'd planned on rebuilding my old parts.

I spoke with Wilwood becasue it had been mentioned that their calipers might not be up to the task with my Vanco hydro boost system. From Wilwood they test the calipers to 1500 PSI and have a working pressure of 1200 PSI.

Not much else to update about right now.

OK as I've said more than ONCE here and in other thread on this forum that I can be a DUMBASS sometimes and not see the trees for the forest.

After more research and reading and trying to wrap my head around things I am finally seeing the light. OK maybe not the full BRIGHT light but it's becoming clearer as I research and read. Wilwood for whatever reason likes to use a manual brake master cylinder for some reason. So yes their calipers are rated for 1200 PSI which is fine for a manual master cylinder.

Here is a quote from Vanco who makes the hydro boost kit I have on my TJ.

1. Vacuum boosters put out between 700-1,000lbs of pressure. That's the amount of pressure added to your braking capabilities (how much more pressure you can put on the brake pedal compared to manual brakes.).
  2. Hydroboosts put out between 2,400-2,700lbs of pressure. This gives you 2-3 times the power of a vacuum booster. This is enough power to stop you in almost any circumstance, including towing. This system will only put out as much pressure as you demand. Step on it easy to come to a slow stop, hard to lock up all 4 tires. replaced).

So I'll be sending those calipers from Wilwood back to Amazon (reason why I bought there) and I'll be running a JB6 calipers per @pc1p recommendations. So yep sometimes it takes me a while but I do finally figure stuff out.