Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well the 2nd side came out a lot faster.
20200423_104908.jpg

20200423_105725.jpg

Now it's time to break out the grinder and take the frame brackets off. Don't trust myself with the plasma cutter for this.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Of course when you need something you can never find it. I know the wrench for my angle grinder is in the garage SOME WHERE...…. After looking for it for about 45 minutes I said Screw It and drove to town to buy a new wrench.

20200423_134311.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
So here are the brackets I need to cut off the frame. After going through 3 cutting discs I got out the plasma cutter.

20200423_145148.jpg

I wasn't having much luck with the discs.

You can see how I was trying to cut under the bracket but I'd forgotten about the butt welds.

20200423_154918.jpg

20200423_154924.jpg

Plasma cutter took them right off. Now I'll just grind down the welds and take the rest of the brackets off.

My first time getting to use my new plasma cutter. Bought it about 6 years ago and never got a chance to try it out. Man is it fun slicing through metal like butter.

Last edited:
So the first bracket I was trying to take off is almost off. Not really sure yet what the best process is to get these brackets off the frame. But they all need to come off so I have a clean frame for what comes next.
Here is how I stopped for the day on that first bracket. I think I am going to try using the plasma cutter again tomorrow and see if I can't shave off a bit of each bracket a little at a time to cut down on the amount of grinding I'm going to have to do.

20200423_165313_zps2lkz43yj.jpg

I'm open to suggestion and advice on other ways to get this off.

plasma might work great, when I did mine I used a torch, cutoff wheels (4 1/2 and 3), then some large (7 and 9") air grinders (the flappy wheel kind, dont know the proper name) for the cleanup work... the air grinders were a godsend for getting all the old weld and bracket leftovers off the frame

plasma might work great, when I did mine I used a torch, cutoff wheels (4 1/2 and 3), then some large (7 and 9") air grinders (the flappy wheel kind, dont know the proper name) for the cleanup work... the air grinders were a godsend for getting all the old weld and bracket leftovers off the frame

If I was cutting the stock brackets off yes the plasma cutter would be more than enough but these are brackets I welded on 15 years ago for the Nth Degree long arm suspension and never thought I'd be taking them off. So they are on there pretty good. I'm going to have to try other ways to get these off.
And yes a flapper disc does a great job cleaning up the frame after the brackets are removed.

I've got 2 3/4 of the old brackets off now. Got it down pretty good at this point. Between cutoff wheels and a air chisel they're coming off faster.

20200424_134922.jpg

20200424_134927.jpg

20200424_141518.jpg

20200424_151051.jpg

After doing some research and more reading I canceled the order for the TNT body lift and got the Savvy kit instead.
For the raised body mounts I got them from SWAG.

20200424_153115.jpg

20200424_153129.jpg

Some serious beef and got here fast.

20200424_151027.jpg

DONE......
All the Nth Degree frame brackets are off and the frame is ground down smooth again.

20200424_164047.jpg

20200424_164056.jpg

All the metal grindings and dirt knocked loose.

20200424_164750.jpg

What is left of the Nth Degree brackets.

20200424_164756.jpg

UPS just dropped off my transmission gauge.

20200424_165106.jpg

Got to love 💘 getting parts from the brown Santa.

Last edited:
I was just checking it all out
Why not throw on the jam nuts?

I was just checking it all out and knew I would be pulling it all apart again. Just wanted to check things out and see how things were going to fit. As I thought my air tank is going to have to move. Not sure yet where it is going to go at this point, might have to put it inside the tub.

As I thought also my front axle is 2 1/2" forward of a stock axle using the measurements from the Savvy kit. So I'll have to fudge a few things to get everything to line up. But it was fun to start seeing how things are going to fit and line up. I've got to remove some more stuff, ie: an exhaust hanger bracket the muffler shop had installed is in the way of the lower passenger bracket.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
So I removed my air tank and then cut the bracket I had made off the frame. Also had to cut a exhaust hanger the muffler shop had installed that was in the way of the front passenger Savvy bracket. Then I put the brackets on the frame to see how things were going to line up.

@mrblaine I could use your help here. I ordered the LJ kit as you suggested to give me a little longer arms in the rear.
Here are my measurements as it sits right now. I hope I am not screwing anything up in doing this.
You'd said I could slide the rear back some which I did but I am wondering about the front?

Front frame brackets measured from the center of the middle hole : 19"
Front lower control arm length : 27"

Rear frame brackets : 16"
Rear lower control arm length : 28"

Am I good or do I need to move things?

Here is how it looks right now.

20200425_170614.jpg

I am DARN close to getting the 100" WB I was shooting for. It's sitting at 99 1/2" WB right now.

20200425_170347.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
So I removed my air tank and then cut the bracket I had made off the frame. Also had to cut a exhaust hanger the muffler shop had installed that was in the way of the front passenger Savvy bracket. Then I put the brackets on the frame to see how things were going to line up.

@mrblaine I could use your help here. I ordered the LJ kit as you suggested to give me a little longer arms in the rear.
Here are my measurements as it sits right now. I hope I am not screwing anything up in doing this.
You'd said I could slide the rear back some which I did but I am wondering about the front?

Front frame brackets measured from the center of the middle hole : 19"
Front lower control arm length : 27"

Rear frame brackets : 16"
Rear lower control arm length : 28"

Am I good or do I need to move things?

Here is how it looks right now.

View attachment 155919

I am DARN close to getting the 100" WB I was shooting for. It's sitting at 99 1/2" WB right now.

View attachment 155918
That is one of the great things about the mid arm brackets. Clamp them in place and cycle away. If it has interference, move it back.

That is one of the great things about the mid arm brackets. Clamp them in place and cycle away. If it has interference, move it back.

I need to pick up a few more 4" C clamps....

Are there any issues with the arm length a little longer than is suggested? How much thread can I have showing in the joints?

Reactions: Rick Flair
I need to pick up a few more 4" C clamps....

Are there any issues with the arm length a little longer than is suggested? How much thread can I have showing in the joints?
Are you sure you bought the right suspension? It really isn't a builder kit.