Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well, the good news is that now it won’t block your pattern pictures….

🙂

…always somethin’, isn’t it.

That wasn't my first thought but yes I'm GLAD I don't have to fuck with that tube until I finally get it setup correctly. I ordered a new one so it should be here next week sometime I hope. Ordered the bolts for the case too while I was at it. If I keep this up it might have been cheaper to just buy a new ARB... :ROFLMAO:

I was looking at ideas of what to do if I break this axle again. I can either build that LP60 I have with a Jantz 76 kit (Dana70 carrier & R&P) or do as you did and go the 14 bolt route. And BTW Solid axle make a 5 on 5.5" BP hub for the 14 bolt. So I can go either axle and keep the Spyder Lock rims.

That wasn't my first thought but yes I'm GLAD I don't have to fuck with that tube until I finally get it setup correctly. I ordered a new one so it should be here next week sometime I hope. Ordered the bolts for the case too while I was at it. If I keep this up it might have been cheaper to just buy a new ARB... :ROFLMAO:

I was looking at ideas of what to do if I break this axle again. I can either build that LP60 I have with a Jantz 76 kit (Dana70 carrier & R&P) or do as you did and go the 14 bolt route. And BTW Solid axle make a 5 on 5.5" BP hub for the 14 bolt. So I can go either axle and keep the Spyder Lock rims.
If you go 14 bolt, would it be a full float or semi-float?

I happen to know where a narrowed semi-float with 4.56 gears and an ARB is sitting.:ROFLMAO:

If you go 14 bolt, would it be a full float or semi-float?

I happen to know where a narrowed semi-float with 4.56 gears and an ARB is sitting.:ROFLMAO:

If I have to go to a LP housing it's going to be a full floating axle.

And just a side note: The bickering that happens here... It's happening in that gear setup group on FB too... It's rather amusing.

The 14 bolt would be easier if you do like @NashvilleTJ and stay 8 lug. The 60 is lighter but more effort to beef it up.

The 60 is lighter
by how much and why?

if the axles are built equally, the diff or carrier section is the only difference. often blamed for hundreds of pounds of additional weight, when it's really thicker tubes and bigger brakes.

i'd dare estimate if the difference is more than about 50-60# it's not apples to apples, cause the 14B center should be within that range of a Dana 60 center, the rest is the build details.

no ,, am i off here?

Last edited:
by how much and why?

if the axles are built equally, the diff or carrier section is the only difference. often blamed for hundreds of pounds of additional weight,

i'd dare estimate if the difference is more than about 50-60# it's not apples to apples, cause the 14B center should be within that range of a Dana 60 center, the rest is the build details.

no ,, am i off here?
The typical 14 bolt axle weighs about 550 pounds. Since there are many different variations of Dana 60 and 70 axles, we can’t give those axles a certain weight. However, a rear Dana 60 axle usually weighs about 400 pounds, a front Dana 60 will weigh about 500 lbs, and the Dana 70 is similar in weight to the 14 bolt.

https://lugnut4x4.com/axles/14-bolt-vs-dana-60-dana-70/

Reactions: Farmergreg
by how much and why?

if the axles are built equally, the diff or carrier section is the only difference. often blamed for hundreds of pounds of additional weight,

no ,, am i off here?
I just happened to be researching that myself...

• Wow
Reactions: Farmergreg
The typical 14 bolt axle weighs about 550 pounds. Since there are many different variations of Dana 60 and 70 axles, we can’t give those axles a certain weight. However, a rear Dana 60 axle usually weighs about 400 pounds, a front Dana 60 will weigh about 500 lbs, and the Dana 70 is similar in weight to the 14 bolt.

been lookin for months now, seeing the same #'s you have............but
the logical difference is the center only...... if the rest is built similar.

build me a 14B and a Dana 60, i want 1/2" tubes...............lets go further and make it a front axle........... lets add Reid C's and knuckles toss in some hi-steer arms. 35 spline axles and new locker and gears for both, same calipers rotors and hubs.

so even with a heavy case, thick cut gear and pinion support w/ an extra bearing, would you think those axles are 150# different?

all those #'s are OE part salvage weights, the axles are not equal. the things that add the weight is the beef that make 1 better or tougher than the other. try to build the lessor axle into an equal and you're increasing it's weight to within a negligible amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj

Wow!! That's way heavier than I would have guessed. Makes sense why my 2500 weighs so dam much.

I think shipping weight on my Currie 60’s was near 1100 lbs. both on pallets.

that 550# is a pre 98 drum axle, the 99 and up disc axles are reputed to be 50# less,
if you did a disc swap on the drum brake axles the weight savings could be more like 60# since they use smaller calipers and rotors.

OK is the 14B that much stronger than a Dana 70? Low pinion Dana 70? This is a Dana 70 gear set in a Dana 60 housing. So does the extra pinion support make it that much stronger than a Dana axle?

And then we need to break it down for cost. I'll work on that later tonight I've almost got the axle DONE.

Either a Dana 60 running a Jana 76 kit or a 14B but either will be running Solid hubs so I can keep the 5 on 5.5 BP.
https://solidaxle.com/collections/wheel-hubs
The cost of those hubs is less than I'd spend swapping my HP44 to 8 on 6.5 plus buying new beadlocks.

I've been working on my rear axle all day and I'm RIGHT there on getting a good pattern where I need it. Took me redoing the whole thing and I'll explain more later but I had to come eat something as my blood sugar was getting low.

OK is the 14B that much stronger than a Dana 70? Low pinion Dana 70? This is a Dana 70 gear set in a Dana 60 housing. So does the extra pinion support make it that much stronger than a Dana axle?

And then we need to break it down for cost. I'll work on that later tonight I've almost got the axle DONE.

Either a Dana 60 running a Jana 76 kit or a 14B but either will be running Solid hubs so I can keep the 5 on 5.5 BP.
The cost of those hubs is less than I'd spend swapping my HP44 to 8 on 6.5 plus buying new beadlocks.
i found Keck machine on FB they are doin some nice lookin aluminum hubs for big axles, not sure if they are doing lug conversions, but that's another way to shave some weight.

i found Keck machine on FB they are doin some nice lookin aluminum hubs for big axles, not sure if they are doing lug conversions, but that's another way to shave some weight.

I honestly could give two shits about 20-40lbs here or there when it comes to the axles. And like I said I will have a 5 on 5.5" BP hub. I like Solid products and have seen and used their stuff before.

been lookin for months now, seeing the same #'s you have............but
the logical difference is the center only...... if the rest is built similar.

build me a 14B and a Dana 60, i want 1/2" tubes...............lets go further and make it a front axle........... lets add Reid C's and knuckles toss in some hi-steer arms. 35 spline axles and new locker and gears for both, same calipers rotors and hubs.

so even with a heavy case, thick cut gear and pinion support w/ an extra bearing, would you think those axles are 150# different?

all those #'s are OE part salvage weights, the axles are not equal. the things that add the weight is the beef that make 1 better or tougher than the other. try to build the lessor axle into an equal and you're increasing it's weight to within a negligible amount.
But we are talking about a rear axle here and there is a 100-150 pound difference between a 70s Dana 60 and a 90s 14 bolt. 14 bolt has a larger center casting, larger diameter tubes as well as heavier hubs and brakes. Question becomes do you need the strength that the extra unsprung weight gives you.

So a 14 bolt like a 9 inch ring and pinion are stronger at lower ratios because of the greater hypoid distance. You actually end up with more than one tooth in contact but this comes at a cost of increased friction between the teeth (big deal for the go fast crowd not so much for crawlers). The extra pinion bearing is because of the shorter distance between the main pinion bearings so in a way that is only a slight win for the 14 bolt over the 60/70.

Do the Solid 60 hubs work for a rear 60 without changing spindles?

14 bolt has a larger center casting, larger diameter tubes as well as heavier hubs and brakes
correct.
Question becomes do you need the strength that the extra unsprung weight gives you.
does a V8 and 40"s cross that threshold for ya?

i find quite a few aftermarket Dana 60 axles that claim a 37" wheel size. i've not found 1 that claims 40"s, does anyone have an example plz?

Last edited:
Same axles Genright runs - From their site

This is the newest Currie Extreme VXR 60 Front Axle. This is the same axle we have successfully run in our 640HP V8 powered 4500 Class racer for 3 years!

This is a complete axle with NO mounting brackets, so it's ready for the control arm mounts of your choice so they get welded on by you in the proper location that is specific to your vehicle!

This axle is IN STOCK and ready for immediate pick up (or delivery for an extra fee).

We figured out a long time ago that new aftermarket axles custom ordered and built from scratch are the way to go! You get a hi-pinion in front (optimal). All the geometry (castor and pinion angle) is correct and you get Hi-Steer on knuckles that were meant to have hi-steer.

Currie uses the HUGE 10" ring gear and 35 spline axles that are 1-1/2” diameter and super thick axle tubes.

Did you know that a 60 turns 10 degrees sharper than a 44? Get this no compromise High clearance Currie Extreme 60 for your Jeep!

These axles are also manufactured with Currie's trademark "rotated" Rock Jock designed diff cover to prevent leaking from damage on the trail.