Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well it's tacked together but still need to test fit it before I call it good.

20230515_194125.jpg

20230515_194136.jpg

This is about how it's going to look.

20230515_184914.jpg

20230515_184920.jpg

20230515_184935.jpg

20230515_184947.jpg

What didn't fit?

The passenger side pipe. Just got to tweak it a little bit more and I'll have it. This isn't as easy as some might think.
I'm trying to clear the oil filter that is on the passenger side. Add the upper control arm on the drivers side and it's FUN.

The passenger side pipe. Just got to tweak it a little bit more and I'll have it. This isn't as easy as some might think.
I'm trying to clear the oil filter that is on the passenger side. Add the upper control arm on the drivers side and it's FUN.

Shit looks super hard lol, cross sections of circles turning into ellipses at angles and needing to get them the same...

Do you have a tig welder too for these? They're stainless I'm guessing right

Shit looks super hard lol, cross sections of circles turning into ellipses at angles and needing to get them the same...

Do you have a tig welder too for these? They're stainless I'm guessing right

Yes that is the BIG part of it. The two sides have to line up without any binding at all or you run into issues. I had the passenger side in a small bind so that once I'd tacked it together it wouldn't allow me to get the bolts in. Part of this is the flanges I have the part that connects to the headers are welded where some that part spins. So everything has to be lined up dead nuts on or it ain't gunna work.

No I'm using my mig welder on it but it is stainless steel pipe. You can weld stainless steel if you use a tri-mix and stainless wire. Not as nice looking as if I was to tig weld it but it works. My Lincoln can tig weld but I've never done it and when I tried it I was not getting it.

Yes that is the BIG part of it. The two sides have to line up without any binding at all or you run into issues. I had the passenger side in a small bind so that once I'd tacked it together it wouldn't allow me to get the bolts in. Part of this is the flanges I have the part that connects to the headers are welded where some that part spins. So everything has to be lined up dead nuts on or it ain't gunna work.
Yeah sounds hard. Exhaust always seems like it has to be so exact

No I'm using my mig welder on it but it is stainless steel pipe. You can weld stainless steel if you use a tri-mix and stainless wire. Not as nice looking as if I was to tig weld it but it works. My Lincoln can tig weld but I've never done it and when I tried it I was not getting it.
That is good to know... tig looks a lot harder for sure! I have not tried it and my welder can't do it but mig is probably all I need lol.

Yeah sounds hard. Exhaust always seems like it has to be so exact

That is good to know... tig looks a lot harder for sure! I have not tried it and my welder can't do it but mig is probably all I need lol.

I wish I'd bought a separate mig & then a A/C-D/C Tig welder and learned how to do Tig. But live and learn.

The tri-mix gas was really expensive the last two years but has come back down in price a little. It has helium in the mix and it had gotten expensive due to a shortage for a while.

I wish I'd bought a separate mig & then a A/C-D/C Tig welder and learned how to do Tig. But live and learn.
Never too late...
The tri-mix gas was really expensive the last two years but has come back down in price a little. It has helium in the mix and it had gotten expensive due to a shortage for a while.
Ah that's nice, finally! I think I remember reading something about the National Helium Reserve or something hahaha.

I don't have a gas tank for my welder yet, I also don't have any electricity out by my "garage" so I won't be welding for a long time lol.

Never too late...

I'm trying to down size not add to my pile of tools.

Ah that's nice, finally! I think I remember reading something about the National Helium Reserve or something hahaha.

I don't have a gas tank for my welder yet, I also don't have any electricity out by my "garage" so I won't be welding for a long time lol.

When you do get a botte buy it. Then when you need it refilled you just go swap out bottles. A lot easier IMO than renting the bottle.
When I had my garage built I specified that I wanted 200 AMP service to it. The contractor tried to argue with me that I didn't need that much power. I was like I'm going to have a large compressor running and might be welding at the same time plus running power tools and who knows what else. I KNOW I want 200 Amp service.

I'm trying to down size not add to my pile of tools.

When you do get a botte buy it. Then when you need it refilled you just go swap out bottles. A lot easier IMO than renting the bottle.
When I had my garage built I specified that I wanted 200 AMP service to it. The contractor tried to argue with me that I didn't need that much power. I was like I'm going to have a large compressor running and might be welding at the same time plus running power tools and who knows what else. I KNOW I want 200 Amp service.

Yeah I'll have to get one soon, it would make my welds look way better I bet. 200 amps wow that's huge! Does the garage have it's own breaker panel?

I am getting an electrician to come check out my house next week so give me an estimate in getting 240 and 120 outlets outside in the carport/garage area. I hope it isn't super expensive

Yeah I'll have to get one soon, it would make my welds look way better I bet. 200 amps wow that's huge! Does the garage have it's own breaker panel?

I am getting an electrician to come check out my house next week so give me an estimate in getting 240 and 120 outlets outside in the carport/garage area. I hope it isn't super expensive

Yes I have a separate panel in the garage. And I'm glad I did it that way as it's made it real easy for me to add wiring for the heaters and stuff.
I wired in the outlet for my welder and compressor plus all my 120 outlets.

I need to get a 50 Amp plug put in out at my power meter so I can plug in my RV. I need to call a few electricians and see what it'll cost.

Blasphemi!

🙂

If I really do plan on hitting the road and being a 3/4 timer ( 7-9 months) out of the year and selling my current house then YA I need to downsize.....
When and if I do I would like to find a shop on 1/2 acer with a spot for my RV.

I have a TON of sorting & packing to do if this was to ever happen...

If I really do plan on hitting the road and being a 3/4 timer ( 7-9 months) out of the year and selling my current house then YA I need to downsize.....
When and if I do I would like to find a shop on 1/2 acer with a spot for my RV.

I have a TON of sorting & packing to do if this was to ever happen...

Man I can't imagine. You better start now. Packing my 1car garage for my recent move was probably 60% of the "packing" work.

Fresh eyes seeing the problem seems to be the ticket.

Y pipe tacked up and test fitted. It was good so I welded it all up. I've still got some more to do but just ran out of tri-mix.
I have a wellness check for Ryder my fur buddy tomorrow so I'll pick up a filled bottle while in town.
They won't 🏆 any awards or anything but all I care about is that they don't leak.

20230516_084020.jpg

20230516_084026.jpg

20230516_084031.jpg

Y pipe cooling off so I can double check fitment.

20230516_084044.jpg

Man I can't imagine. You better start now. Packing my 1car garage for my recent move was probably 60% of the "packing" work.

I've got tons of CRAP I need to just take to the dump or recycler. Lots of motorcycle stuff from the past 8-10 bikes I've owned.
Then manuals from when I was in the Army. And I've even still got a starter for a SBC that was in my CJ5. I was so used to moving every 3 years when I stopped and have been here for 18 years I turned into a pack rat.

I've got tons of CRAP I need to just take to the dump or recycler. Lots of motorcycle stuff from the past 8-10 bikes I've owned.
Then manuals from when I was in the Army. And I've even still got a starter for a SBC that was in my CJ5. I was so used to moving every 3 years when I stopped and have been here for 18 years I turned into a pack rat.

Lol yep! You collect as much shit as space you have... I didn't get rid of all my extra SAAB parts until I was deep in the mr2 take-apart. And then all of a sudden I had NO ROOM and something had to go. Otherwise, I'd have probably held onto it forever

Lol yep! You collect as much shit as space you have... I didn't get rid of all my extra SAAB parts until I was deep in the mr2 take-apart. And then all of a sudden I had NO ROOM and something had to go. Otherwise, I'd have probably held onto it forever

I have 4 stock exhaust systems for different Harleys I've owned.
At one point people were wanting them so I figured I'd sell or give them away. Then shipping rates went through the roof.

Once the Jeep is done I'm going to do some serious cleaning.

I have 4 stock exhaust systems for different Harleys I've owned.
At one point people were wanting them so I figured I'd sell or give them away. Then shipping rates went through the roof.
Dang, coulda cut them up and saved some money on tubing for the jeep! lol
Once the Jeep is done I'm going to do some serious cleaning.
So... never? It never really ends does it. lol. It'll feel good I bet, how often are you frustrated looking for shit? That's typically the indicator that my garage is too messy and has too much shit it in for me