Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Ya‘ know, we really can’t forgive it when you let personal issues get in the way of build progress…

😉

Glad you are doing better, Brother.

Yep I'm fully aware that I shouldn't ever let shit get in the way of working on the Jeep... And just so you all know I've chastised myself for it too.

The blister was in a shitty spot. Sort of like you getting a bad blister on your heel from a new pair of hiking boots.

To try to make it easier to work on I removed the front tires and lowered it down some.

20240208_134530.jpg

The hardest part is done. Getting the heads back on. Wishing they were aluminum right now.

20240208_134358.jpg

Next is all the head studs then torque them all down.

Stock head bolts are torqued to 105 lb ft and the ARP head studs are torqued to 110 lb ft. You do it in a 3 stage torque starting in the center working your way out.

Heads are done....

20240208_170735.jpg

Going with the 12 point nuts sounds kewl but are a PITA. I broke one of my sockets..

20240208_170759.jpg

These are what the new springs look like. From what the machine shop told me they had to cut the seats to allow me the lift I needed.

20240208_170804.jpg

I'm stopping here and will get back at it next Thursday. I'll do the rocker arm studs and guide plates next and then the rocker arms.
Haven't decided if I'm using the Crane or Scorpion rockers yet.

OK call me crazy or a glutton for punishment 🤔. I'm toying with the idea of retrying the shorty headers. Right now with the block hugger headers the upper control arm hits the collector on the drivers side.
Easy fix is to add a 1" bump stop.
Since I'd originally set it up to run the shorty headers I hadn't clearanced it for the block huggers.
So I'm thinking about retrying to make a Y-pipe that would fit and allow room for the driveshaft and upper control arm.
It would solve my up-travel problem. Would mean a little more work for me but nothing I can't do. Since I've got a few days to think about it I'm just throwing it out there.

OK call me crazy or a glutton for punishment 🤔. I'm toying with the idea of retrying the shorty headers. Right now with the block hugger headers the upper control arm hits the collector on the drivers side.
Easy fix is to add a 1" bump stop.
Since I'd originally set it up to run the shorty headers I hadn't clearanced it for the block huggers.
So I'm thinking about retrying to make a Y-pipe that would fit and allow room for the driveshaft and upper control arm.
It would solve my up-travel problem. Would mean a little more work for me but nothing I can't do. Since I've got a few days to think about it I'm just throwing it out there.

Makes me exhausted to think about dropping the headers again - but exhausted is the bane of my existence in automotive wrenching for me (that and body work). Everything always seems to take 2-3x long and more resources ($) than I expect...

But you have done a great job on the customer exhaust and don't see concerned/stressed to address it again. This isn't the first time you've brought up this concern of a loss of upward travel because of that contact. So if you don't do it now - I'd put money down that you'll be doing it at some point...

Makes me exhausted to think about dropping the headers again - but exhausted is the bane of my existence in automotive wrenching for me (that and body work). Everything always seems to take 2-3x long and more resources ($) than I expect...

But you have done a great job on the customer exhaust and don't see concerned/stressed to address it again. This isn't the first time you've brought up this concern of a loss of upward travel because of that contact. So if you don't do it now - I'd put money down that you'll be doing it at some point...

One good point now is that I can slap the shorties on with only 2 bolts holding them on and retry making a Y-pipe that will clear. Since I have the exhaust all off now is the time to consider it.

And yes loosing that travel bothers me. I've got the parts to limit it if needed but if I can figure out a way to make the shorties fit I'd rather use them.

One good point now is that I can slap the shorties on with only 2 bolts holding them on and retry making a Y-pipe that will clear. Since I have the exhaust all off now is the time to consider it.

And yes loosing that travel bothers me. I've got the parts to limit it if needed but if I can figure out a way to make the shorties fit I'd rather use them.

I'd say go for it at this point. Losing up travel for exhaust clearance isn't cool if you have the material on hand. As much as I dislike exhaust work, that would bother me more. Glad to see you're getting closer!

Woke up to 3" of snow today. When I'd gone to sleep we didn't have any.

20240215_074110.jpg

First on the agenda was to install the rocker arm studs.

20240215_114857.jpg

They get set in with 25 lb ft and Blue Loctite.

20240215_121513.jpg

Push rods set in place. Will start installing the rocker arms next and then get them all adjusted prior to doing anything else.

20240215_121847.jpg

I never wake up to snow anymore! and I miss it. I hope all went well at the VA but glad to have a build to read daily

VA has some more plans for me as far as that sore on my leg and me going back to a pinlock type of liner. I have an appointment with them again on 20 March. So I'll see what they say then.

Will get the rocker arms adjusted tomorrow and then start installing other parts. And I've got to run into town and pickup some more tri-mix gas for welding the Stainless Steel.

I've got appointments Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday next week so won't be able to keep ya entertained much next week.

Had to bring the Right Stuff inside to warm up some before I tried to install the intake manifold. I'll let it warm up for a while and then go out and install the intake manifold. It's starting to look like an engine again.

Had to bring the Right Stuff inside to warm up some before I tried to install the intake manifold. I'll let it warm up for a while and then go out and install the intake manifold. It's starting to look like an engine again.

I like how you just get at it with this shit. It's motivating to see you just tear into a job I'd probably wait for a weekend when it's warm and shit

Valve lash set. Took me a few tries to remember how to set it correctly.

View attachment 501313

20240216_142146.jpg

Looks like a heavy dose of surface rust in the circled areas, especially the passenger side. Tough to tell from this angle what all is there that may be rusting.

I'm thinking it could also be coolant run-off from the intake manifold being on & off multiple times. Just wanted to draw it to your attention before you get too much of the engine back together if you wanted to address it.