Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I think I'm going to wait until I've got the engine reassembled before I burn the mounts in anyhow so I've got time to mess with it.

Catching up on the forum after being away on work travel. Very glad to see this comment as I was hoping you'd come this conclusion as I was reading your posts for the week.

Based off @NashvilleTJ 's comment on checking clearance at the firewall with the heads & valve cover had me concerned of you burning them in now and needing to remove the mounts or modify the firewall once the heads are on...

I've never done a engine job like this with new mounts but I'm hoping you stay in the 'wait until engine is together' camp so Murphy doesn't get you...

Catching up on the forum after being away on work travel. Very glad to see this comment as I was hoping you'd come this conclusion as I was reading your posts for the week.

Based off @NashvilleTJ 's comment on checking clearance at the firewall with the heads & valve cover had me concerned of you burning them in now and needing to remove the mounts or modify the firewall once the heads are on...

I've never done a engine job like this with new mounts but I'm hoping you stay in the 'wait until engine is together' camp so Murphy doesn't get you...

I'm honestly more worried about accessory drive clearance than I am heads to firewall clearance. With that upper link hitting the motor mount and not allowing me to push the engine back further I'm not real worried about the heads hitting the firewall.
But I can be impatient sometimes and that's bit me in the ass before so I'm trying to learn here.

Got the new fuel tank gasket installed. Added a T in the vent line for the NVLD. Got the fuel line hooked up and ran the wiring harness for the fuel tank and NVLD.

20240627_102822.jpg

Then got the hard part out of the way for today. The tank is back up under the Jeep.

20240627_111128.jpg

I've got a vet appointment this afternoon so will have to stop soon. But this gets things ready for me to get things buttoned up in the rear and concentrate on other things.

Still don't have any shipping notifications on the heads. But I've got some other projects I can get done while I'm waiting.

Got a email from FRP saying that the heads should be shipping today and I should be getting the tracking information NLT COB.

I got the NVLD hooked up & temporarily mounted it into my rear wheelwell. I'm keeping my eyes out for the factory mount right now to use. I didn't reinvent the wheel here I just tried to copy what @NashvilleTJ did with his and don't have the charcoal canister hooked up.

Then I worked on the Rock Lights and got them all wired up and will get to test them out once I've got the battery hooked back up. Tomorrow I'll get the air lines to the gauges up on the rollbar replaced and the ARB air line going to the front axle.

I finished up with pulling the fuel tank by getting the fuel inlet and bezel reinstalled.

Then I decided I'd start tackling the shifter setup for the Art Carr shifter and the 545RFE. Since I'm the first one here that I know of to make a shifter cable bracket I was winging it.
I took a piece of flat stock and some washers to make the base. I cut two slots in the flat stock where the washers could sit.

20240629_113800.jpg

20240629_113808.jpg

I tacked the flat stock to the washers. Then pulled it off the transmission and welded it up.

20240629_115539.jpg

20240629_115547.jpg

I'd put a bend at the top to get it inline with the shifter arm on the transmission. Clamped on a second piece of flat stock inline with the shifter arm.

20240629_120204.jpg

Welded that piece on then trimmed the extra off the top.

20240629_121249.jpg

20240629_121252.jpg

20240629_121256.jpg

Once I determine where the shifter cable needs to sit on the bracket I'll drill and tap the holes for the strap that holds the cable to the bracket.

20240629_123240.jpg

20240629_123256.jpg

I finished up with pulling the fuel tank by getting the fuel inlet and bezel reinstalled.

Then I decided I'd start tackling the shifter setup for the Art Carr shifter and the 545RFE. Since I'm the first one here that I know of to make a shifter cable bracket I was winging it.
I took a piece of flat stock and some washers to make the base. I cut two slots in the flat stock where the washers could sit.

View attachment 538837

View attachment 538838

I tacked the flat stock to the washers. Then pulled it off the transmission and welded it up.

View attachment 538839

View attachment 538840

I'd put a bend at the top to get it inline with the shifter arm on the transmission. Clamped on a second piece of flat stock inline with the shifter arm.

View attachment 538841

Welded that piece on then trimmed the extra off the top.

View attachment 538842

View attachment 538843

View attachment 538845

Once I determine where the shifter cable needs to sit on the bracket I'll drill and tap the holes for the strap that holds the cable to the bracket.

View attachment 538853

View attachment 538854

Very clever Rick. I like how the shift arm is above the pan. On my Turbo 400 it's below and uses 2 pan bolts to attach the bracket. It's a pain to tighten the little bolts with no access from the rear.

Reactions: Wildman